GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elections

+11
rooneypoo
Oglethorpe
NEELY
Vandelay
tim1_2
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Ev
Flo The Action
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

31Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Nice to hear so many informed and intelligent opinions in here. Now if most of canada can think like people in here we will be rid of Harper.

So anyone that supports the Conservative party platform is uneducated or illogical in some way?  Interesting that... almost Harper-esque.

+1

32Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:lol I love anti Harper people.

I live with a few of them.

33Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:01 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:I am having a tough time deciding this year.  I have eliminated all 3 parties several times over.  

In the past I have usually voted Conservative but almost a decade of power is too long for anyone and the party has lost some of the more centrist influences in John Baird, Jim Flaherty, etc..  Bill C-51 goes a little too far in my mind and needs some alterations and the ridiculous Income splitting for families is bad economic policy intended to garner votes at the cost of good governance.

The NDP has some interesting ideas but pulling out of the TPP and their Cap and Trade policies would destroy every last manufacturing job in this country and drive the GDP into negative growth.  Mulcair comes off as a smug, power hungry career politician who I fear will pander to Quebec at the cost of the rest of the country.

The Liberal party has the same terrifying environmental policies as the NDP and is so urban centric that the rural population might as well not exist.  They seem to flip flop between NDP and Conservative policies so much that I worry they will govern by opinion polls.

I am leaning Liberal, but don't want a majority for any of these clowns so I am in no man's land at the moment.

Why is income splitting ridiculous? They've had it for years for seniors. They've had it for years in the US. What, exactly, is ridiculous about it? If you have two people each bringing in $75K with a family of four, and a single earner who is making $150K, supporting that same family of four, why should the "rich" guy pay more income taxes?

Put it another way, why should those who make more money pay more *proportionally* than those making less? Do large corporations have a higher corporate tax rate than small companies? Do their payroll taxes go up (as a percentage of payroll) as the payroll increases? Do larger houses have a higher mill-rate? Is the GST on a Cadillac higher than the GST on a Chevy Cobalt? Well, maybe that last one should actually happen -- I don't mind luxury taxes on truly luxury items.

34Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Nice to hear so many informed and intelligent opinions in here. Now if most of canada can think like people in here we will be rid of Harper.

So anyone that supports the Conservative party platform is uneducated or illogical in some way?  Interesting that... almost Harper-esque.

Actually voting conservative to me is unethical. I believe they do not have the best intentions for the people of this country. So yes to vote for them I think is a serious lack of moral judgment.

Bullsh*t!

35Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:13 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

For the record I don't blame the Conservatives one bit on the Economy.

36Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

they're all the same to me and none really affect me personally. Expect for the other parties wanting to lower my TFSA contribution limit.

37Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:23 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Stephen is my boy and clearly is the smartest and most experienced leader here but he's not gonna win because all this is is a popularity contest just like Obama '08. If his name want Trudeau nobody would care

This explains a lot. Laugh1

38Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Actually voting conservative to me is unethical. I believe they do not have the best intentions for the people of this country. So yes to vote for them I think is a serious lack of moral judgment.

Bullsh*t!
You might not like it but for me a political party with a track record of environmental exploitation and degradation that focus on big business revenues over investing on everyday Canadian and that tries to build up xenophobic sentiments for election purposes on fear of religious acceptance is a party that has very little moralistic ground for approval.
You can not agree but this is exactly what is happening under Harper.

39Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:I am having a tough time deciding this year.  I have eliminated all 3 parties several times over.  

In the past I have usually voted Conservative but almost a decade of power is too long for anyone and the party has lost some of the more centrist influences in John Baird, Jim Flaherty, etc..  Bill C-51 goes a little too far in my mind and needs some alterations and the ridiculous Income splitting for families is bad economic policy intended to garner votes at the cost of good governance.

The NDP has some interesting ideas but pulling out of the TPP and their Cap and Trade policies would destroy every last manufacturing job in this country and drive the GDP into negative growth.  Mulcair comes off as a smug, power hungry career politician who I fear will pander to Quebec at the cost of the rest of the country.

The Liberal party has the same terrifying environmental policies as the NDP and is so urban centric that the rural population might as well not exist.  They seem to flip flop between NDP and Conservative policies so much that I worry they will govern by opinion polls.

I am leaning Liberal, but don't want a majority for any of these clowns so I am in no man's land at the moment.

I'm in no man's land as well. I have no idea which is the lesser of 2 evils.

40Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:58 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:they're all the same to me and none really affect me personally. Expect for the other parties wanting to lower my TFSA contribution limit.

How many Canadian families have $10K, per working spouse, to slide into a TFSA, after putting some $$ into their RRSPs? That's $20K, every year, while the average household income in Canada is at about $60K. People are in dreamland if they think the TFSA isn't designed exclusively to serve Canada's richest. And the revenue that the government foregoes keeps swelling, since the TFSA is accumulative -- i.e., as of Jan. 1 of this coming year, every Canadian will hypothetically be able to put away up to $50G. That's a lot of lost revenue for the gov't, and every year that number grows. Kevin Page, the former parliamentary budget office, estimated that the cost (in terms of lost revenues) to be $2 billion per year in the very near future.

To be clear, I maxed out my TFSA every year when it was at $5K. I even did it last year and will do it again next year, but that's only because I sold my place a year ago and had money to invest. Moving forward, it won't be feasible for me and the missus to each max out our $10K per, per year, while contributing to RRSPs and keeping some other monies more readily available. We are a childless household making $110-120K a year, or approximately twice the national average, and yet we won't be able to take full advantage of the benefit that is supposedly for all Canadians. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the TFSA.

41Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I dunno, my oldest who is in his second year of university and was working as a cashier at Walmart before opened a TFSA on advice from Investor's Group. He didn't max out his contributions, of course, but he still opened one. Of course he's better off than we are so given our annual income he *must be* one of the rich ones.

42Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In case you needed another reason not to vote conservative.

Elections - Page 3 Image12

43Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Ev wrote:they're all the same to me and none really affect me personally. Expect for the other parties wanting to lower my TFSA contribution limit.

How many Canadian families have $10K, per working spouse, to slide into a TFSA, after putting some $$ into their RRSPs? That's $20K, every year, while the average household income in Canada is at about $60K. People are in dreamland if they think the TFSA isn't designed exclusively to serve Canada's richest. And the revenue that the government foregoes keeps swelling, since the TFSA is accumulative -- i.e., as of Jan. 1 of this coming year, every Canadian will hypothetically be able to put away up to $50G. That's a lot of lost revenue for the gov't, and every year that number grows. Kevin Page, the former parliamentary budget office, estimated that the cost (in terms of lost revenues) to be $2 billion per year in the very near future.

To be clear, I maxed out my TFSA every year when it was at $5K. I even did it last year and will do it again next year, but that's only because I sold my place a year ago and had money to invest. Moving forward, it won't be feasible for me and the missus to each max out our $10K per, per year, while contributing to RRSPs and keeping some other monies more readily available. We are a childless household making $110-120K a year, or approximately twice the national average, and yet we won't be able to take full advantage of the benefit that is supposedly for all Canadians. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the TFSA.

Well for one a lot of eople don't realize that tfsa should be used before rrsp in most cases unless they are in the highest tax bracket already. So I would imagine a ton of people could fill their tfsas if they didn't fill their rrsp. TFSA is the most valuable tool for saving and making money right now.

44Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I dunno, my oldest who is in his second year of university and was working as a cashier at Walmart before opened a TFSA on advice from Investor's Group.  He didn't max  out his contributions, of course, but he still opened one.  Of course he's better off than we are so given our annual income he *must be* one of the rich ones.

Your oldest should move far far away from anything to do with Investors Group. It is a complete ripoff and actually a scam in my opinion. Tell him to go read Canadiancouchpotato.com.

45Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:

So anyone that disagrees with your point of view or opinion is immoral? That's pretty f**ked up bud.

46Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Vote early and vote often.

I'll be sure to vote as often as possible old friend.

- Unknown Author

47Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Well for one a lot of eople don't realize that tfsa should be used before rrsp in most cases unless they are in the highest tax bracket already. So I would imagine a ton of people could fill their tfsas if they didn't fill their rrsp. TFSA is the most valuable tool for saving and making money right now.

What he's saying is $5500 a year is enough, and it should be.
TFSA is awesome for the country if people actually invested their TFSA account in Canadian companies shares to help finance their business.
But the reality is most people just use it to earn additional investment income that mostly benefit the upper class which is a minority.
Have to aggree with the Poo here.

48Elections - Page 3 Empty Re: Elections Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:10 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:

So anyone that disagrees with your point of view or opinion is immoral?  That's pretty f**ked up bud.
you don't have to agree with me but there are certain lines that this conservative government has crossed and to support that in my eyes is immoral. yes. as far as economic policies are concerned i can understand there are disagreements on what works best but when it's about being destructive on thee large scale and abolishing environmental protection for the environment in pursuit of profit and using xenophobic tactics in order drum up blind patriotism and scare people into thinking "your neighbor is the enemy" because he does not follow your traditional values than yes i find that very immoral.

i advocate tolerance and respect for our surroundings and a sustainable look at the future that protects this country for future generation to be able to enjoy the fruits of this land. that does not attack anyone. harpers policies and tactics do. and for that he must be voted out ASAP.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum