GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All things 2014 Playoffs

+16
spader
Vandelay
DefenceWinsChampionships
asq2
SensHulk
Hoags
NEELY
wprager
LeCaptain
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
shabbs
tim1_2
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 67]

241All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Who is dominating the playoffs so far: Jonathan Toews, Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Brendan Dubinsky, Brendan Gallagher, Ryan Johansen...

Who is not a good leader on that least?
I'm watching this game, the Hawks look awfully flat for several minutes, Toews decides to take over around the boards, the Hawks score and the whole team has been dominating St-Louis ever since.
And some people actually claim that the play of the captain should not affect what the others do...

242All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

LeKing wrote:Who is dominating the playoffs so far: Jonathan Toews, Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Brendan Dubinsky, Brendan Gallagher, Ryan Johansen...

I'm watching this game, the Hawks look awfully flat for several minutes, Toews decides to take over around the boards, the Hawks score and the whole team has been dominating St-Louis ever since.
And some people actually claim that the play of the captain should not affect what the others do...

The only people who say the "everyone leads.  leaders are not the end all and be all.  we need other guys to step up when it matters too" those are all quotes from losers.  Having a leader in hockey is one of the most important things a team can have.   But hey, don't tell that to a Spezza fan.

243All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Feels good for Foligno. Fleury being Fleury on that OT winner. People are blaming him for the tying goal, which makes no sense....the puck just took a bad bounce over his stick...he couldn't have done anything else. But the OT winner is 100% on him. If I'm Pittsburgh, I come back with Vokoun or whoever.

The East really sucks, which just makes Ottawa missing the playoffs even harder to take. If Boston doesn't win the East, they f'd up.

244All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

No Alfie again for the Wings tonight, but he could be ready for game 5 on Saturday, per Joe Haggerty on Twitter.

245All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why did they scratch Selanne?  Is he that old and tired? He looked pretty good to me leading up to that.

EDIT: Looks can be deceiving, he had a terrible year statistically.

246All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Selanne has looked old and slow in the playoffs. Not sure if he was able to take it up a notch.

247All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Selanne has looked old and slow in the playoffs. Not sure if he was able to take it up a notch.

Fair enough, I didn't watch every game, I thought he looked okay when I saw him.

248All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Matt Cooke addressing media. Begins his address by saying he feels bad Tyson Barrie can't play tonight. Insists didn't intent to injure him

Ah yes, we've heard that before.

249All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
Matt Cooke addressing media. Begins his address by saying he feels bad Tyson Barrie can't play tonight. Insists didn't intent to injure him

The NHL doesn't seem to care, because 7 games for a terrible repeat offender is a joke.  Barrie's got a torn ACL for goodness sake.

EDIT: Roy says it's a medial collateral ligament injury, so I'm not really sure what that means lol. And also, it's coming from Roy, so an additional grain of salt is required.

250All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
LeKing wrote:Who is dominating the playoffs so far: Jonathan Toews, Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Brendan Dubinsky, Brendan Gallagher, Ryan Johansen...

The only people who say the "everyone leads.  leaders are not the end all and be all.  we need other guys to step up when it matters too" those are all quotes from losers.  Having a leader in hockey is one of the most important things a team can have.   But hey, don't tell that to a Spezza fan.

The 'C' does not stand for "Leader", know what I'm saying? Who was the Leader of the Mighty Ducks in 2007? Don't think it was Nierdermayer, even though he wore the 'C'. The guy went out on the ice, did his thing, came back to the bench, sat down and said nothing to anyone.

Hockey is the only one of the major sports where the Captain is clearly identified. Do you need a Captain in football, basketball, baseball? No. Why not? Who knows. But you sure know who the MVP is each year.

Quick question: how many of the last 10 Conn SMythe winners wore the 'C'? Answer: 3

And that includes Niedermayer.

251All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:

Well, it's clear, then. If this is how he plays now that he's rehabilitated, and since he didn't intend to injure, then is there really any solution to this other than expulsion from the league? If this guy can stick out his knee and plant it, yet insists that he wasn't trying to hurt him, then what other recourse is there? This is not a move that is taught at any level in hockey.

252All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:57 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:

The 'C' does not stand for "Leader", know what I'm saying? Who was the Leader of the Mighty Ducks in 2007? Don't think it was Nierdermayer, even though he wore the 'C'. The guy went out on the ice, did his thing, came back to the bench, sat down and said nothing to anyone.

Hockey is the only one of the major sports where the Captain is clearly identified. Do you need a Captain in football, basketball, baseball? No. Why not? Who knows. But you sure know who the MVP is each year.

Quick question: how many of the last 10 Conn SMythe winners wore the 'C'? Answer: 3

I have no idea what being the MVP and the Captain have to do with each other, but I'm sure you'll enlighten us.

253All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:

The 'C' does not stand for "Leader", know what I'm saying?  Who was the Leader of the Mighty Ducks in 2007?  Don't think it was Nierdermayer, even though he wore the 'C'.  The guy went out on the ice, did his thing, came back to the bench, sat down and said nothing to anyone.  

Hockey is the only one of the major sports where the Captain is clearly identified.  Do you need a Captain in football, basketball, baseball?  No.  Why not?  Who knows.  But you sure know who the MVP is each year.

Quick question: how many of the last 10 Conn SMythe winners wore the 'C'?  Answer: 3

In football?  Yah, I would say the quarterback is pretty clearly the leader.  Baseball actually does have a "C" sometimes.  Basketball is an exception and even then you know who the leaders are.

Anyways, don;t let common sense into your thoughts as that would detract from w/e point you are trying to make.

254All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm actually not sure if baseball teams have captains, but they sure don't wear a 'C'. I think in football you actually have the captains calling the coin toss but, again, no 'C'; same in soccer.

Point still stands -- no other major team sports so clearly identifies a captain (and alternates). And I've heard a lot of talk, recently, on whether hockey really needs a captain.

As to Tim's question, the debate here has been that you cannot expect other players to play the 200' game and give a crap if the guy wearing the 'C' doesn't. I've said all along (and so have plenty of former players) that you need leadership in the room and on the bench from far more than the guy wearing the 'C'. Spezza has his faults -- no doubt, but hanging the team's Dung-poor excuse of a season on the shoulders of one guy is a short-sighted knee-jerk reaction.

So you move Spezza and who is the whipping boy after that?

255All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:19 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think anyone here ever said Spezza is the sole problem. We might've said he's the biggest problem.

256All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I'm actually not sure if baseball teams have captains, but they sure don't wear a 'C'.  I think in football you actually have the captains calling the coin toss but, again, no 'C'; same in soccer.

Point still stands -- no other major team sports so clearly identifies a captain (and alternates).  And I've heard a lot of talk, recently, on whether hockey really needs a captain.

As to Tim's question, the debate here has been that you cannot expect other players to play the 200' game and give a crap if the guy wearing the 'C' doesn't.  I've said all along (and so have plenty of former players) that you need leadership in the room and on the bench from far more than the guy wearing the 'C'.  Spezza has his faults -- no doubt, but hanging the team's Dung-poor excuse of a season on the shoulders of one guy is a short-sighted knee-jerk reaction.

Cory Seesy.

257All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:35 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:I'm actually not sure if baseball teams have captains, but they sure don't wear a 'C'.  I think in football you actually have the captains calling the coin toss but, again, no 'C'; same in soccer.

Point still stands -- no other major team sports so clearly identifies a captain (and alternates).  And I've heard a lot of talk, recently, on whether hockey really needs a captain.

As to Tim's question, the debate here has been that you cannot expect other players to play the 200' game and give a crap if the guy wearing the 'C' doesn't.  I've said all along (and so have plenty of former players) that you need leadership in the room and on the bench from far more than the guy wearing the 'C'.  Spezza has his faults -- no doubt, but hanging the team's Dung-poor excuse of a season on the shoulders of one guy is a short-sighted knee-jerk reaction.

When the guy who wears the "C" does what he wants, others will do the same.  Like it or not that's how the world and hockey work.  If your boss goofs off chances are you will too, doesn't mean there are not other people there willing to work hard or put the effort in but things fall apart. 

Also, Spezza was THE problem, he was the biggest one though.  There are other issues like youth, inexperience, inconsistency (coaching and players)... but they should get a chance to sort it out and they will.  Spezza has had a decade to sort out his issues and hasn't. 

Who is the new whipping boy once Spezza is gone?  Not sure but I would guess Cowen as that has already started.

258All things 2014 Playoffs - Page 17 Empty Re: All things 2014 Playoffs Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

are you trying to downplay the importance a team appointed captain who is slacking off has on the rest of a team? really??? c'mon man.
think of it this way, you see the boss coming in to work 3 days out of 5 and playing solitaire on his computer, hell he's out the other two days playing golf! do you think the rest of the office feels like giving their 100%? same Dung different pile.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum