GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+20
xzel
Oglethorpe
ddt
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
Hobiesens
rooneypoo
TheAvatar
SensHulk
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
spader
PTFlea
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
LeCaptain
NEELY
shabbs
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's a debate for their management.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Phaneuf $7 x 7 is a done deal.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 5 Bc0me72CIAM_uzZ

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:It's absolutely not a debate.  Ryan will be on Team USA.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bobby-ryan-left-off-u-olympic-roster-sochi-141951120--nhl.html

Kevin Allen of USA Today, who has his finger on the pulse of the USA Hockey braintrust, left Ryan off his final roster projection for Sochi, with this explanation:

The most difficult decision was leaving off Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators). He might be en route to his fifth 30-goal season. His hands are exceptional. But the Americans are deep on the wing, and other players have more to offer. Ryan is not a skater, nor a defensive zealot. Wheeler was my pick over Ryan because of his speed, size and reach. All are important on the wider surface.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Speed, size and reach? Is it a hockey game or a speed skating?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:Speed, size and reach? Is it a hockey game or a speed skating?

Faster so he can get to the puck or away from coverage faster. Bigger so he can hit harder and be more difficult to move. Longer reach to make it more difficult to get around him.

Look, I don't agree with leaving him off -- I don't see skating as an issue (not everyone can be -- or needs to be -- the fastest) and I completely disagree about him not being good defensively. But I don't have trouble understanding the argument.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Listening to AM690 for some entertainment, again. Markov. Apparently if he tested the market he'd get a *minimum* 4 years at a *minimum* $6M. Am I missing something? Over the last two seasons (he played all games) he has 50 points in 88 games. The two season prior to that he totaled 6 points in 20 games. He is 35 years old with extensive injury history -- how could anyone in their right mind give him a *minimum* 4 year deal?

Campbell is his comparable stats-wise. A year younger and 2 more years remaining (after this season) on an *unmovable* $7.14M contract. So if $7.14M is unmovable with 2 years remaining, how is it possible to give an older player with injury history 4 years at $6M (minimum)?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Listening to AM690 for some entertainment, again.  Markov.  Apparently if he tested the market he'd get a *minimum* 4 years at a *minimum* $6M.  Am I missing something?  Over the last two seasons (he played all games) he has 50 points in 88 games.  The two season prior to that he totaled 6 points in 20 games.  He is 35 years old with extensive injury history -- how could anyone in their right mind give him a *minimum* 4 year deal?  

Campbell is his comparable stats-wise.  A year younger and 2 more years remaining (after this season) on an *unmovable* $7.14M contract.  So if $7.14M is unmovable with 2 years remaining, how is it possible to give an older player with injury history 4 years at $6M (minimum)?

people will overpay for FA's. if gonchar got 5 for three and then 5 for 2 what do you expect people to give markov. I agree that it's a lot but there are GM's out there just waiting to throw money out the door. he's still a very good D-man mind you. just a bit unsure where he'll be 4 years from now.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Markov will easily get 6.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bobby-ryan-left-off-u-olympic-roster-sochi-141951120--nhl.html

Kevin Allen of USA Today, who has his finger on the pulse of the USA Hockey braintrust, left Ryan off his final roster projection for Sochi, with this explanation:

The most difficult decision was leaving off Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators). He might be en route to his fifth 30-goal season. His hands are exceptional. But the Americans are deep on the wing, and other players have more to offer. Ryan is not a skater, nor a defensive zealot. Wheeler was my pick over Ryan because of his speed, size and reach. All are important on the wider surface.

Kevin Allen does podcasts with Eklund. His argument is invalid.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Kevin Allen does podcasts with Eklund. His argument is invalid.
Really? Did not know that. All I saw was "USA Today". Sounds legit.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Markov will easily get 6.

Not arguing that, but on a 4 year term? Never.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gilbert Brule (former 6th overall pick) is refusing a demotion to the AHL; says he's had it living out of a suitcase, so he's retiring from hockey at age 27 to become a firefighter.

And in case you were wondering whose draft pick he was, Columbus, of course.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brule-tells-coyotes-hes-retiring-from-hockey/

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lupul should get a call from Shanahan for this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/1/5263918/winter-classic-2014-joffrey-lupul-crosscheck-patrick-eaves

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 5 Neckcheck

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Lupul should get a call from Shanahan for this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/1/5263918/winter-classic-2014-joffrey-lupul-crosscheck-patrick-eaves

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 5 Neckcheck

Deliberate attempt to injure. He should be out of the game.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

All he got was a minor. Then he scored in the SO to keep the Leafs alive before Bozak scored the winner.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Leafs win in a SO... how typical. And it's Bozak with the winner. Hilarious.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a joke that Ryan didn't make Team USA>

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That is a joke.

#FreeBobbyRyan

Sponsored content