GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call your shot on Cowen's contract

+8
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Call your shot on Cowen's contract

Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Vote_lcap278%Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 78% [ 7 ]
Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Vote_lcap222%Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
Ev wrote:He is worth far more than $1.0. Let's be real, after what Wiercioch just got.

Wiercioch is a different of player not really a good comparable, plus he put up 19P in 42games.  A  lot easier to demand money when you have numbers like that.

What does Cowen and his agent bring to the table besides 17P in 82G in his first season?

Alzner got $1.2M for 2 years after his ELC expired, I don't see how Cowen would be much different than that.

That he plays 5 more minutes / game than Wiercioch

17Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

LeKing wrote:

That he plays 5 more minutes / game than Wiercioch

Alzner played even more minutes than Wiercioch and got $1.285, so did Scandella.

They're going to look for comparable players around the league not just on the Sens.

18Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

There's gonna be a lot of things that his agent can use. First he's arguably the most physical Dman on the team (leads the team in hits/game), he gets top 4 in ice time, he performed like a beast when put on the top pairing (when Kuba was injured) etc.
I don't think Alzner got any of those in 11-12

19Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alzner just signed for $2.8. You;re looking at his old deal.

nevermind^

but Cowen is a lot more physical, larger, and has proven his worth at all levels. You lock him up longish-term so you don't losee him.

20Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

All good points. I just personally don't think Cowen has proven much in 1 season(and change). He was terrific in filling in for Kuba for a while but he had his ice time drastically reduced at times as well.

It really depends on whether Murray signs a cheap bridge deal or signs him long-term. I guess that depends on the budget and what the Sens think of Cowen's game and where it will be in the next few years.

I would hope they don't pay much for 1 up and down NHL season of production from him. Especially for a 'budget team'.

21Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think he insists on too much money and ends up being moved.

I don't think he's in any postition to demand a lot.  He's played 1 full NHL season, he's still mostly potential at this point.

He should get something like Alzner or Scandella.

2 years at $1.0M-$1.2M'ish.

Unless Murray wants to take a risk and sign him to a 6-7 year extension at $3-$4M-ish.  Hard to call that one given Cowen's limited body of work and injury history.

Wiercioch got 3 x $2M and has 50 NHL games under his belt. Cowen *will* get more.

22Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Wiercioch got 3 x $2M and has 50 NHL games under his belt.  Cowen *will* get more.

Wiercioch put up a good amount of points, if you put up points in the NHL, especially as a D-man you get paid.

It's harder for a defensive D-man like Cowen, Alzner and Scandella had comparable or better seasons at the same stage of their career and got $1.0-$1.285M each.  Alzner is as good or better than Cowen.

Cowen might get a bit more but since we're a budget I think Murray will be pretty ruthless in negotiations.  It's his job. Not to mention Cowen has been hurt a lot over the term of his ELC, which should impact negotiations a bit as well.

It really comes down to whether they go short term or long-term.  Cowen was unexpectedly announced as an RFA so I wonder if the budget was planned for this Smile

23Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:30 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Signing Cowen long term with his injury history is a bad idea, he still hasn't proved over an entire season and playoffs that he can be a difference maker night in and night out. Again, 3 x 3 is probably around where he will sign, there's no UFA to worry about and he gets paid without Ottawa jumping into the deep end without a lift jacket.

24Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Signing Cowen long term with his injury history is a bad idea, he still hasn't proved over an entire season and playoffs that he can be a difference maker night in and night out.

That's hard to say, people thought Murray was nuts giving Turris a long term deal after one good half season with us and now that looks like a steal.

It really depends on what the Sens think of Cowen, his potential and whether they think his injury history is anything to be seriously concerned about.

Given that we have some big free agents coming up in the next 2 years, Murray may want to lock up Cowen for a long time and take a risk that he will stay healthy and be the kind of player they think he can be.

I guess that's where some people in the Sens organization will earn their paycheck, whether they assess him and his future correctly and make the right choice.

25Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Signing Cowen long term with his injury history is a bad idea, he still hasn't proved over an entire season and playoffs that he can be a difference maker night in and night out.  Again, 3 x 3 is probably around where he will sign, there's no UFA to worry about and he gets paid without Ottawa jumping into the deep end without a lift jacket.

Yeah, I'm thinking 3 years, $8-10 mil total. In terms of role, Cowen's comparables are Phillips and Method, each of whom are making $3 mil+.

26Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:32 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I'm going to guess $8.25M for 3 years = $2.75M cap hit

27Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:

Wiercioch got 3 x $2M and has 50 NHL games under his belt.  Cowen *will* get more.

Wiercioch put up a good amount of points, if you put up points in the NHL, especially as a D-man you get paid.

It's harder for a defensive D-man like Cowen, Alzner and Scandella had comparable or better seasons at the same stage of their career and got $1.0-$1.285M each.  Alzner is as good or better than Cowen.

Cowen might get a bit more but since we're a budget I think Murray will be pretty ruthless in negotiations.  It's his job.  Not to mention Cowen has been hurt a lot over the term of his ELC, which should impact negotiations a bit as well.

It really comes down to whether they go short term or long-term.  Cowen was unexpectedly announced as an RFA so I wonder if the budget was planned for this Smile

This is a guy that Murray drafted in the top-ten. He is *not* going to be "pretty ruthless". No way!

And as for his injuries -- which, by the way, I don't discount at all -- first, they were completely different (and he recovered from the him surgery a lot quicker than anyone expected), and second, they will only restrict the term, not the cap hit. It's not like he gets a bunch of minor injuries and plays only 60-65 games each season; he played all 82 games in his one full season.

28Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:Signing Cowen long term with his injury history is a bad idea, he still hasn't proved over an entire season and playoffs that he can be a difference maker night in and night out.

That's hard to say, people thought Murray was nuts giving Turris a long term deal after one good half season with us and now that looks like a steal.

It really depends on what the Sens think of Cowen, his potential and whether they think his injury history is anything to be seriously concerned about.

Given that we have some big free agents coming up in the next 2 years, Murray may want to lock up Cowen for a long time and take a risk that he will stay healthy and be the kind of player they think he can be.

I guess that's where some people in the Sens organization will earn their paycheck, whether they assess him and his future correctly and make the right choice.

Turris had pedigree -- a high draft pick; same with Cowen -- prior to his knee injury he was a projected to go top-five or better.

29Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Turris had pedigree -- a high draft pick; same with Cowen -- prior to his knee injury he was a projected to go top-five or better.

I don't think pedigree counts for much. Turris was seen as a borderline bust by some. He played very well here and Murray took a risk and was largely rewarded.

Cowen was projected to be top-5 before the injury and has had one decent NHL season. There's not much there to judge, Turris had quite a few NHL games(mostly bad which probably lowered his value).

It really depends on what they think of him. Rundblad was drafted fairly high and had pedigree as well and yet the Sens figured out early on they need to cut bait while his value is still high.

30Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
Ev wrote:He is worth far more than $1.0. Let's be real, after what Wiercioch just got.

Wiercioch is a different of player not really a good comparable, plus he put up 19P in 42games.  A  lot easier to demand money when you have numbers like that.

What does Cowen and his agent bring to the table besides 17P in 82G in his first season?

Alzner got $1.2M for 2 years after his ELC expired, I don't see how Cowen would be much different than that.

He plays WAY tougher minutes than Wiercioch.

31Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

3 x $3M

32Call your shot on Cowen's contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Call your shot on Cowen's contract Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:05 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
He plays WAY tougher minutes than Wiercioch.

Wiercioch put up more points Smile Those guys get paid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum