GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it?

+12
shabbs
rooneypoo
DefenceWinsChampionships
SensHulk
PTFlea
Ev
NEELY
sandysensfan
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
wprager
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 18]

1Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Winter Olympics will be here in 6 months (give or take). Between now and then Yzerman and company will be crafting the team that will represent Canada. Who will be on that team?

Here are TSN's "early projections".
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428036

Luongo/Price/Crawford

Crosby, Toews, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Nash, Richards, St. Louis, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Sharp, Bergeron, Benn.

Keith, Doughty, Weber, Subban, Seabrook, Letang, Girardi, Pietrangelo.

Interesting list. Out of the 25 players, only 3 play on Canadian teams (Luongo, Price, Subban). While many of the above may seem like the favorites, their play early in the season will knock some of them out of contention, for sure.

Bergeron - we've all discussed how he's going to have a slow start. Don't think he gets in based on performance. He was there in 2010, so that counts for something.

St. Louis - was last year an aberration or is he getting better with age? I don't see him dropping off from his production, but with Vinny gone, is that team as good as it was last season? Will that be reflected in Marty's totals?

Subban - Norris notwithstanding, he's got a lot of ground to make up, IMO. Just too many red flags with the rumors of not being all about the team.

Girardi - I know I'm biased, but I'd really rather have Methot.

Man, Canada really should send two teams. There are so many players that could be there. Like Spezza -- dare to dream.

2Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Bergeron is in no matter how he plays all year. He's the most complete player in the world right now.

3Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:Bergeron is in no matter how he plays all year. He's the most complete player in the world right now.

Not if he's broken and needs repairs.

4Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:Bergeron is in no matter how he plays all year. He's the most complete player in the world right now.

Not if he's broken and needs repairs.  

Yeah there's actually a very good chance of that happening

5Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:15 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

These teams are pretty well set before the NHL regular season even starts.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Methot should get consideration, although I won't argue he's a dark horse.

Our goaltending gives me nightmares.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

These teams are pretty well set before the NHL regular season even starts.

Sure, guys like Crosby, Toews, Weber, Getzlaf/Perry. But I doubt they pick a goalie before December. And there will be injuries, and there will be players breaking out, and there will be players breaking down.

That Girardi pick still bothers me. Good, solid defenseman, but I think Methot does all that as well, and I'd like to think plays harder. Plus he's got the inside poop on Karlsson, which they may need in the medal rounds.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:The Winter Olympics will be here in 6 months (give or take).  Between now and then Yzerman and company will be crafting the team that will represent Canada.  Who will be on that team?

Here are TSN's "early projections".
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428036

Luongo/Price/Crawford

Crosby, Toews, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, Nash, Richards, St. Louis, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Sharp, Bergeron, Benn.

Keith, Doughty, Weber, Subban, Seabrook, Letang, Girardi, Pietrangelo.

Interesting list.  Out of the 25 players, only 3 play on Canadian teams (Luongo, Price, Subban).  While many of the above may seem like the favorites, their play early in the season will knock some of them out of contention, for sure.

Bergeron - we've all discussed how he's going to have a slow start.  Don't think he gets in based on performance.  He was there in 2010, so that counts for something.

St. Louis - was last year an aberration or is he getting better with age?  I don't see him dropping off from his production, but with Vinny gone, is that team as good as it was last season?  Will that be reflected in Marty's totals?

Subban - Norris notwithstanding, he's got a lot of ground to make up, IMO.  Just too many red flags with the rumors of not being all about the team.  

Girardi - I know I'm biased, but I'd really rather have Methot.  

Man, Canada really should send two teams.  There are so many players that could be there.  Like Spezza -- dare to dream.

I really don't know about putting Brad Richards in there. Isn't there a better option out there? They have to go with speed.. Because that's what the US and Sweden are coming with... and that's two of their main rivals.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, I should have put down M. Richards. It's in the article and I thought it would've been obvious given how he's been playing. He was on the 2006 team that didn't get a medal. He won't be going to Sochi.

10Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the list of evaluation/orientation camp invites:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/National/2013-14/Orientation-Camp/Roster

Methot is on the list, but no Spezza. Ouch. The guy was #4 overall in the league the last time they had a full season. And that was with a sore back.

11Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:18 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Spezza can't catch a break. I'd put him on there ahead of the following: Carter, Couture, Duchene, Eberle, Getzlaf, Hall, Kunitz, Ladd, Lucic, Marchand, Neal, M Richards, Sharp, both Staals, and maybe Joe Thornton. Holy hell, what a diddle up.

Spezza is the perfect setup man for high-end talent. I would understand (probably) if he didn't make the final team, but to not even be on the orientation camp roster is ridiculous.

12Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:21 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Spezza is what he is and that's a player a lot of coaches don't trust as well as not being good enough to be on the top 2 lines for Team Canada. No one in their right mind would give hard mins to Spezza on the 3rd and 4th line. This is better for Ottawa anyways and I could care less about the Olympics.

13Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Seriously, let him rest up for 3 weeks instead of going to play 10 hours away or whatever it is in Russia on the big ice.

Good fuel to impress TC as well. He's gonna come out hot

14Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Beautiful. The less Sens that play in this, the better, especially Spezza.

15Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Empty Re: Team Canada 2014 -- who will be on it? Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh, and Spezza is great at faceoffs, which would help at the Olympics too. You're right though, Ev, better for the Sens to NOT have him there.

Also another notable absence is one Mr. Martin Brodeur.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 18]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum