GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators' Plan "B"

+6
tim1_2
LeCaptain
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:If Spezza looks doubtful going into next season, perhaps Ribeiro is the way to go but he's a lateral move from Spezza, both play a pretty similar game with very similar stat lines with basically the same short comings as well.

Similar, but Ribeiro is a considerable downgrade, according to goals and points per game. Rib scores .23 GPG and .77 PPG. Spezza boasts a more potent offense with .37 GPG and 1.02 PPG. I know who I'd rather have on the team. TwoThumbsUp!

I would look at the last 5 years... what Spezza and Ribeiro did past that is pretty pointless. That's a very flawed argument. Over the past 5 years they have basically been the same player.

Sure. .88 and .25 (PPG and GPG) for Rib vs. .95 and .38 for Spezza. If you don't thing that a 50% improvement in goals and a (better than) 10% improvement in points is significant, then I don't have much to say in response. The point is, Spezza is a much better goal scorer and a better point producer.

EDIT: Ribeiro is a downgrade, but of course, all I'm looking at are his top stats. I don't know how he is on faceoffs, and I haven't watched him all that much in the last few years (I don't catch many Stars games and haven't seen much of the Caps this year). But, unless he's an upgrade in another major category, I'll continue to think he'd be a considerable downgrade.

Ribeiro is a downgrade, no question... not sure I implied otherwise. Just saying, if you were to go out and replace Spezza, that's a guy who would be good enough and he plays a very similar type of game. That's my only point here.

This is a fine point. You often overstate your opinion, and I think you did so when you said they're basically the same player. That was where I had a problem. I don't think one player can be basically the same as another if he's a downgrade.

32Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I would take Richards over Ribeiro in a second, but I really don't think Richards will get bought out this summer.

Remote chance of a trade if Torts gets nuked as well.

If the Rags miss, is this the end of the Slats era?

Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Sather10 Leftie

33Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Comparison

Ribeiro last 5 yrs: 308 pts
Spezza last 5 yrs: 276 pts

Obviously Ribeiro has played more games...but having a #1 C who is injury prone is a big problem too, because it routinely leaves you with a big hole to fill. Isn't it better to have a slightly less talented #1 C that stays in your lineup?

I am a huge Spezza fan, and stick up for the guy when he's slagged. I would choose Spezza 10 times out of 10 over Ribeiro, injury concerns aside.

Spezza will have every chance, and rightfully so, to keep his spot here. All I'm saying is that if he has to leave (retirement or otherwise), Ribeiro wouldn't be a terrible option.

34Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Comparison

Obviously Ribeiro has played more games...but having a #1 C who is injury prone is a big problem too, because it routinely leaves you with a big hole to fill. Isn't it better to have a slightly less talented #1 C that stays in your lineup?

I am a huge Spezza fan, and stick up for the guy when he's slagged. I would choose Spezza 10 times out of 10 over Ribeiro, injury concerns aside.

Spezza will have every chance, and rightfully so, to keep his spot here. All I'm saying is that if he has to leave (retirement or otherwise), Ribeiro wouldn't be a terrible option.

I read in a different (incorrect) thread that Ribeiro is a "bunghole." What do you make of that?

35Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't know the man personally, but he does come across as a bit of a bunghole. I do think it gets overblown a little bit.

He started his career in 1999 and has only played for 3 teams. Can't be all bad, personality-wise.

36Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:16 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:If Spezza looks doubtful going into next season, perhaps Ribeiro is the way to go but he's a lateral move from Spezza, both play a pretty similar game with very similar stat lines with basically the same short comings as well.

Similar, but Ribeiro is a considerable downgrade, according to goals and points per game. Rib scores .23 GPG and .77 PPG. Spezza boasts a more potent offense with .37 GPG and 1.02 PPG. I know who I'd rather have on the team. TwoThumbsUp!

I would look at the last 5 years... what Spezza and Ribeiro did past that is pretty pointless. That's a very flawed argument. Over the past 5 years they have basically been the same player.

Sure. .88 and .25 (PPG and GPG) for Rib vs. .95 and .38 for Spezza. If you don't thing that a 50% improvement in goals and a (better than) 10% improvement in points is significant, then I don't have much to say in response. The point is, Spezza is a much better goal scorer and a better point producer.

EDIT: Ribeiro is a downgrade, but of course, all I'm looking at are his top stats. I don't know how he is on faceoffs, and I haven't watched him all that much in the last few years (I don't catch many Stars games and haven't seen much of the Caps this year). But, unless he's an upgrade in another major category, I'll continue to think he'd be a considerable downgrade.

Ribeiro is a downgrade, no question... not sure I implied otherwise. Just saying, if you were to go out and replace Spezza, that's a guy who would be good enough and he plays a very similar type of game. That's my only point here.

This is a fine point. You often overstate your opinion, and I think you did so when you said they're basically the same player. That was where I had a problem. I don't think one player can be basically the same as another if he's a downgrade.

At this point is Ribeiro a downgrade? IMO yes but it's debatable.

37Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we would all take a healthy Spezza over a healthy Ribeiro. Alas, this is not a perfect world.

Does anyone have a better suggestion if Spezza's career is over? I would love to hear other realistic options.

38Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:42 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I think we would all take a healthy Spezza over a healthy Ribeiro. Alas, this is not a perfect world.

Does anyone have a better suggestion if Spezza's career is over? I would love to hear other realistic options.

VAN may not have money to re-sign Derek Roy, so there's him.

39Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I hear he's a bunghole. Though he is from around here. I wonder if those cancel each other out?

40Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I hear he's a bunghole. Though he is from around here. I wonder if those cancel each other out?

I think so.

Murray hates bunghole.

Murray loves players from the Ottawa area.

-1 + 1 = 0

41Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I think we would all take a healthy Spezza over a healthy Ribeiro. Alas, this is not a perfect world.

His career isn't over. Nobody's career is over in this day and age. You can literally come back from being paralyzed.

42Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Comparison

He wouldn't be terrible, but he's a downgrade. Also, for what it's worth, Spezza had 112 goals vs 90 for Rib in the same period of time. The goal scoring increase is substantial, especially considering the fact that Rib had almost 60 games more than Spez.

43Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Might be a good idea to work on Plan "C" in case Plan "B" doesn't work out...

44Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Might be a good idea to work on Plan "C" in case Plan "B" doesn't work out...
what's plan C? I'm confused...

spezza
Brad Richards
Briere
Ribero
D Roy...?

45Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I would take Richards over Ribeiro in a second, but I really don't think Richards will get bought out this summer.

Remote chance of a trade if Torts gets nuked as well.

If the Rags miss, is this the end of the Slats era?

Oh man that would be great! I imagine they have messier waiting in the wing to take over.

46Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Might be a good idea to work on Plan "C" in case Plan "B" doesn't work out...

Laugh1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum