GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators' Plan "B"

+6
tim1_2
LeCaptain
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

spader

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:If Spezza looks doubtful going into next season, perhaps Ribeiro is the way to go but he's a lateral move from Spezza, both play a pretty similar game with very similar stat lines with basically the same short comings as well.

Similar, but Ribeiro is a considerable downgrade, according to goals and points per game. Rib scores .23 GPG and .77 PPG. Spezza boasts a more potent offense with .37 GPG and 1.02 PPG. I know who I'd rather have on the team. TwoThumbsUp!

17Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:If Spezza looks doubtful going into next season, perhaps Ribeiro is the way to go but he's a lateral move from Spezza, both play a pretty similar game with very similar stat lines with basically the same short comings as well.

Similar, but Ribeiro is a considerable downgrade, according to goals and points per game. Rib scores .23 GPG and .77 PPG. Spezza boasts a more potent offense with .37 GPG and 1.02 PPG. I know who I'd rather have on the team. TwoThumbsUp!

I would look at the last 5 years... what Spezza and Ribeiro did past that is pretty pointless. That's a very flawed argument. Over the past 5 years they have basically been the same player.

18Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:06 am

spader

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

I would look at the last 5 years... what Spezza and Ribeiro did past that is pretty pointless. That's a very flawed argument. Over the past 5 years they have basically been the same player.

Sure. .88 and .25 (PPG and GPG) for Rib vs. .95 and .38 for Spezza. If you don't thing that a 50% improvement in goals and a (better than) 10% improvement in points is significant, then I don't have much to say in response. The point is, Spezza is a much better goal scorer and a better point producer.

EDIT: Ribeiro is a downgrade, but of course, all I'm looking at are his top stats. I don't know how he is on faceoffs, and I haven't watched him all that much in the last few years (I don't catch many Stars games and haven't seen much of the Caps this year). But, unless he's an upgrade in another major category, I'll continue to think he'd be a considerable downgrade.

Last edited by spader on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

19Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:07 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:

I don't understand how you can say they are the same player when Spezza has produced more. Maybe they are the same type ? I barely watched Ribeiro since he was in the West for a long time.

Spezza is younger and has produced more, I'd mark that up to a clear advantage.

20Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

Sure. .88 and .25 (PPG and GPG) for Rib vs. .95 and .38 for Spezza. If you don't thing that a 50% improvement in goals and a (better than) 10% improvement in points is significant, then I don't have much to say in response. The point is, Spezza is a much better goal scorer and a better point producer.

EDIT: Ribeiro is a downgrade, but of course, all I'm looking at are his top stats. I don't know how he is on faceoffs, and I haven't watched him all that much in the last few years (I don't catch many Stars games and haven't seen much of the Caps this year). But, unless he's an upgrade in another major category, I'll continue to think he'd be a considerable downgrade.

Ribeiro is a downgrade, no question... not sure I implied otherwise. Just saying, if you were to go out and replace Spezza, that's a guy who would be good enough and he plays a very similar type of game. That's my only point here.

21Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I don't understand how you can say they are the same player when Spezza has produced more. Maybe they are the same type ? I barely watched Ribeiro since he was in the West for a long time.

Spezza is younger and has produced more, I'd mark that up to a clear advantage.

He's also injured most years and has a bad back... I'll take a couple years of being long in the tooth vs a guy that may and may not be able to stay healthy for the next 5 years. Not saying I would take Ribeiro over Spezza either, just that one particular argument is weak if you are talking about these two in regards to one another.

22Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think you guys are missing Neely's point. IF we had to replace Spezza, Ribeiro is a UFA that wouldn't cost anything more than some of Melnyk's money. Via trade, many other things would be possible, but when was the last time you saw a #1C switch hands?

Ribeiro is probably the best option on the market this summer...and if the choice is between doing nothing and letting Turris/Z-Bad carry the ball, or signing Ribeiro...Well, I'll take Ribeiro please.

23Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I think you guys are missing Neely's point. IF we had to replace Spezza, Ribeiro is a UFA that wouldn't cost anything more than some of Melnyk's money. Via trade, many other things would be possible, but when was the last time you saw a #1C switch hands?

Ribeiro is probably the best option on the market this summer...and if the choice is between doing nothing and letting Turris/Z-Bad carry the ball, or signing Ribeiro...Well, I'll take Ribeiro please.

You're not replacing Spezza, you're plugging a hole and hoping for the best if he's not in the lineup. Ribeiro is fine in that instance.

24Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I think you guys are missing Neely's point. IF we had to replace Spezza, Ribeiro is a UFA that wouldn't cost anything more than some of Melnyk's money. Via trade, many other things would be possible, but when was the last time you saw a #1C switch hands?

SeawaySensFan wrote:
You're not replacing Spezza, you're plugging a hole and hoping for the best if he's not in the lineup. Ribeiro is fine in that instance.

Doesn't sound any different from replacing Karlsson by trading for Boyle, if we had to for some reason.

I still bet Murray will do nothing and ride Turris/Zibanejad next year in the unlikely event Spezza doesn't play next year.

25Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Does anyone else have brilliant ideas for replacing Spezza and/or plugging the hole should the need arise??

26Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Doesn't sound any different from replacing Karlsson by trading for Boyle, if we had to for some reason.

I still bet Murray will do nothing and ride Turris/Zibanejad next year in the unlikely event Spezza doesn't play next year.

Highly likely with tightwad Melnyk writing the cheques.

27Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Highly likely with tightwad Melnyk writing the cheques.

Exactly, any big money will be going toward re-signing our current players. We've got a few players due for some raises coming off their ELCs in the next few years.

28Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I still think B richards is a far more better option.

29Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would take Richards over Ribeiro in a second, but I really don't think Richards will get bought out this summer.

Remote chance of a trade if Torts gets nuked as well.

30Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I may have missed his point, but I was responding to the "Rib and Spezz are basically the same player" thing by outlining how different their production has been.

31Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

Ribeiro is a downgrade, no question... not sure I implied otherwise. Just saying, if you were to go out and replace Spezza, that's a guy who would be good enough and he plays a very similar type of game. That's my only point here.

This is a fine point. You often overstate your opinion, and I think you did so when you said they're basically the same player. That was where I had a problem. I don't think one player can be basically the same as another if he's a downgrade.

32Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I would take Richards over Ribeiro in a second, but I really don't think Richards will get bought out this summer.

Remote chance of a trade if Torts gets nuked as well.

If the Rags miss, is this the end of the Slats era?

Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Sather10 Leftie

33Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators' Plan "B" Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Comparison

Ribeiro last 5 yrs: 308 pts
Spezza last 5 yrs: 276 pts

Obviously Ribeiro has played more games...but having a #1 C who is injury prone is a big problem too, because it routinely leaves you with a big hole to fill. Isn't it better to have a slightly less talented #1 C that stays in your lineup?

I am a huge Spezza fan, and stick up for the guy when he's slagged. I would choose Spezza 10 times out of 10 over Ribeiro, injury concerns aside.

Spezza will have every chance, and rightfully so, to keep his spot here. All I'm saying is that if he has to leave (retirement or otherwise), Ribeiro wouldn't be a terrible option.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum