GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

If the season is cancelled, who are the UFAs Ottawa will target?

+9
Flo The Action
NEELY
tim1_2
wprager
sandysensfan
Hoags
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pretty simple set of circumstances coming up. The season is about to be cancelled and there will be a plethora of powerful UFAs set to hit the market. This assumes that Gonchar will not return and Alfredsson is at about a 50/50 to return.

So a minimum of 5.5 million to add to the ~28 million we'll already have in available cap space.

Most notably:

Iginla
Perry
Getzlaf
Semin
Andy McDonald

Regehr
Edler
D.Murray

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

What do people think?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Pretty simple set of circumstances coming up. The season is about to be cancelled and there will be a plethora of powerful UFAs set to hit the market. This assumes that Gonchar will not return and Alfredsson is at about a 50/50 to return.

So a minimum of 5.5 million to add to the ~28 million we'll already have in available cap space.

Most notably:

Iginla
Perry
Getzlaf
Semin
Andy McDonald

Regehr
Edler
D.Murray

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

What do people think?

If The Alfie retires, I think the ideal add would be Iginla. I'm sure Murray would love to add just about any of those guys, except Semin.

In all seriousness, though, I think The Gene is too goddamn cheap to add any of those guys.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
If The Alfie retires, I think the ideal add would be Iginla. I'm sure Murray would love to add just about any of those guys, except Semin.

In all seriousness, though, I think The Gene is too goddamn cheap to add any of those guys.

I don't think he is at all, I think he was cheap - and for good reason IMO - but now I think if Murray wants to tender Perry a 7 X 7, he'd get support from The Gene.

I actually think Perry is the prime target, followed by Regher. Both would be nice.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I don't think he is at all, I think he was cheap - and for good reason IMO - but now I think if Murray wants to tender Perry a 7 X 7, he'd get support from The Gene.

I actually think Perry is the prime target, followed by Regher. Both would be nice.

We'll see. I'm a big fan of young Andy McDonald too. So is Bryan Murray, I believe.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Can't see Iggy going anywhere but to a legit contender if he signs elsehwere. He's gonna want a chance at the cup if he leaves Calgary. In other words, not Ottawa. Perry would be a nice add for sure.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think Perry and Getzlaf will pull a Parise/Suter and sign for big bucks with the same team.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

IMO they try for a defenseman... They need more experience on the blueline when Gonchar leaves..

Forwards would be nice.. but with what they have coming -- Murray may not go that route.

Good ol' Burkie will try as hard as he can to get both Perry & Getzlaf in Toronto... question is would they go. How did they get along with Carlysle...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What makes you think we'll have $28M cap space left? We don't know what the cap will be. We also don't know who the free agents will be -- for all we know, Karlsson may be a free agent before all of this shakes out.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Regardless of the season being cancelled, as that apparently won't happen now, Andy McDonald is the most likely to land in a Sens uniform, as the rest may be too rich for our blood. I couldn't see us trying for Getzlaf with both Spezza and Turris already here, but Perry and/or Iginla are surefire hits.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We'll spend to get Perry I think, especially because he's a UFA and no assets need to go out the door, then I think we explore the trade market for a D-man.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:We'll spend to get Perry I think, especially because he's a UFA and no assets need to go out the door, then I think we explore the trade market for a D-man.

Very exciting indeed.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Murrays love them some Perry.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Regardless of the season being cancelled, as that apparently won't happen now, Andy McDonald is the most likely to land in a Sens uniform, as the rest may be too rich for our blood. I couldn't see us trying for Getzlaf with both Spezza and Turris already here, but Perry and/or Iginla are surefire hits.

The Sens were third in the league in scoring. They have Silfverberg waiting in the wings; they'll have a full season of Kyle Turris as the 2LC (instead of rotating Zibanejad, Dacosta and whoever through there). And the have exactly one RH defenseman, who does not play on the PL. Hmm, yeah, looks like they should target a scoring winger.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think they break the bank for Perry too. With so many teams in financial troubles, so many teams that will be close to or at the cap, and Ottawa being way down there, no money committed, and having a huge need for a top line winger... makes too much sense.

Bet he gets a max deal at 8 million or more from Ottawa.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Like it or not, Prags, Ottawa will still need a top-3 scoring winger in the short to mid term. Unless Silf/Zib/Stone/whoever all come through and start scoring in bunches, which is not going to happen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum