GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2013 IIHF World Junior Championships

+8
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
spader
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
wprager
shabbs
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 15]

211 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:15 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Seth Jones is scary

212 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Canada had won a medal in 14 straight World Junior tournaments. The streak is over.

213 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Under 2 mins to go... USA leading 2-1.

214 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

USA gets empty net goal... 3-1. OVER.

215 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 am

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Two so-so goals by Grimardi did the trick.

Sweden did very well to get the Silver considering their were missing 4 of their top defensemen... plus Zibby...

Silver is nothing to be ashamed of.

Felt bad for the Canadian players. They were under so much pressure with everyone saying they were one of the best teams that Canada had ever sent to the WJC.

216 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:41 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

If you cant handle the pressure, you don't deserve to win. Simple.

217 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:Two so-so goals by Grimardi did the trick.

Sweden did very well to get the Silver considering their were missing 4 of their top defensemen... plus Zibby...

Silver is nothing to be ashamed of.

Felt bad for the Canadian players. They were under so much pressure with everyone saying they were one of the best teams that Canada had ever sent to the WJC.

Who was saying that? I certainly wasn't. Starts from the top. They went with Subban based on how he did in the Summer, completely ignoring how Binnington outplayed him in camp, and how Subban played poorly to start. I'm not saying Subban cost them the tournament, at all, but it showed how proving you were better was not enough to get you a spot in the lineup. For very similar reasons they left off Ceci -- because he didn't play well in the Summer. Well, guess what, he played a heck of a lot better in October through Decmber but that didn't count; not even enough for an invite to camp.

It's time to shake things up at the top, IMO.

218 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

What Team Canada needs to do is get rid of the stupid camp, inviting guys they already know won't make the team. How about use those 2 weeks to actually play some games and practice with the FINAL roster?

219 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKid wrote:What Team Canada needs to do is get rid of the stupid camp, inviting guys they already know won't make the team. How about use those 2 weeks to actually play some games and practice with the FINAL roster?

Well, if they are already going to decide who makes the team (barring injuries) back in the Summer, then, yes, by all means, hold a training camp and not an evaluation camp. But, IMO, they are making their minds up on kids a good 5 months (sometimes a whole year) before the tournament starts. At this age there are so many ups and downs. Even if they were all 19 they can diverge a great deal in a 6 months span. I can sort of understand making your mind up with an Olympic team where the players are all in their late 20s/30s; you pretty much know what everyone brings (barring injuries, of course). But for 17-19 year-olds there could be a world of change in 6 months.

Go by merit, not reputation or (what it appears to be) bias.

220 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Did Ceci get overlooked because of the bad year the 67`s are having..

By the way.. they traded Graovac this morning to the Bulls for Kuptsov and 3 draft picks...

The US won because their goaltender was spectacular.

Maybe Canada`s defense wasn`t good enough.. nor the goaltending. But it is a team game.. But these are still kids... yes they have played hockey for most of their young lives... you have to feel for them.

A lot of the media was hyping this to be one of the best teams Canada had put together. TSN was repeating that a lot...

And I agree.. they should not be picking the team based on the summer camp... It should be based on the first couple of months of the season.. who is hot and who is not.

221 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Cherry had his way and the CHL teams only had Canadian players, they they could pick entire lines and defensive pairings, rather than mix-and-match and hope the come together as a team. They should also consider petitioning the IIHF to allow them to send two teams, if not three.

222 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think our coaching wasn't good enough. I said it after our loss to the States in the semis...we should've used a timeout and/or pulled Subban earlier, but Spott did neither. In this game this morning, he likely should've gone back with Subban...anyway, Spott didn't make the right calls at the right time, and it looks like maybe we didn't pick the right players for the tournament. Our forwards didn't play well enough defensively, and our team didn't seem physical enough.

That's that. Whether it's bronze or 4th, doesn't make a big difference to me now. The States were the best team in the tournament, and they deserved to win.

223 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I think our coaching wasn't good enough. I said it after our loss to the States in the semis...we should've used a timeout and/or pulled Subban earlier, but Spott did neither. In this game this morning, he likely should've gone back with Subban...anyway, Spott didn't make the right calls at the right time, and it looks like maybe we didn't pick the right players for the tournament. Our forwards didn't play well enough defensively, and our team didn't seem physical enough.

That's that. Whether it's bronze or 4th, doesn't make a big difference to me now. The States were the best team in the tournament, and they deserved to win.

Where would the US have finished if they'd lost Jones, Trouba, McCabe and Reilly to injuries, though.

Last edited by wprager on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

224 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:I think our coaching wasn't good enough. I said it after our loss to the States in the semis...we should've used a timeout and/or pulled Subban earlier, but Spott did neither. In this game this morning, he likely should've gone back with Subban...anyway, Spott didn't make the right calls at the right time, and it looks like maybe we didn't pick the right players for the tournament. Our forwards didn't play well enough defensively, and our team didn't seem physical enough.

It seemed they went with dash and flash..

Agree, the US did deserve to win because they were the best team and had the best goaltender. But what would Sweden have done had they had those 4 defensemen that got injured. Maybe they would have had the gold.... They did much better than I expected them to do. I also expected Canada to at least get to the gold medal game.

But now we wait until next year's tournament in Sweden.. At least games won't be at 4:00 am...

225 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Five hours difference between Ufa and Stockholm. 4AM start would be 9AM. I'll have to bank some vacation days.

226 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jones is amazing. Seriously a solid, nasty, top pairing D-man coming along here.

Wikstrand was delightful to watch, great draft pick.

227 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Where would the US have finished if they'd lost Jones, Trouba, McCabe and Reilly to injuries, though.
What does that have to do with Canada's coaching decisions?

228 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships - Page 15 Empty Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

What does that have to do with Canada's coaching decisions?

There, does that make it easier?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum