GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy Thanksgiving

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I am thankful for in no particular order:

1 - My good health
2 - My wife's current good fortune with her health
3 - My beautiful children
4 - My wonderful life
5 - My generous and loving family both immediate and extended family (that includes members of GMH)
6 - Gainful employment
7 - Finding joy even when it's hidden sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Cheers

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 pm by shabbs

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Doh! That sucks. The newer ones usually have a re-set sequence (no more reaching in with a match).

On ours, a Trane, you have do an off/on sequence three times in a row I think. That initiates a restart of the pilot.

Suggest you look up your model on the 'net.

Can you see that the pilot light is indeed out?

I tried the off/on three times before I went downstairs to try to find the model number. As I was looking around for it (no model number on the outside, by the way, just "Amana") I heard it turn on. Cheering
Nice! Glad that worked.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 pm by wprager

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Doh! That sucks. The newer ones usually have a re-set sequence (no more reaching in with a match).

On ours, a Trane, you have do an off/on sequence three times in a row I think. That initiates a restart of the pilot.

Suggest you look up your model on the 'net.

Can you see that the pilot light is indeed out?

I tried the off/on three times before I went downstairs to try to find the model number. As I was looking around for it (no model number on the outside, by the way, just "Amana") I heard it turn on. Cheering
Nice! Glad that worked.

Well, it did, sort of. We've had a couple of warm days so maybe I didn't notice (I have it set at 22 during the day, then 19 overnight, and it was never cold enough outside to make it drop below 19). But last night was a bit colder again, and I noticed that the temperature stayed at 20 despite me turning it up above 22, and this morning it was at 18. Went downstairs and the furnace was cold, so with the temp at 18 and tstat set at 22 it was not on.

So I did the off/on x 3 trick again, went back downstairs and waited. Then on a hunch I turned the gas valve off-and-on and the bugger started up. This time I noticed a second viewing "disc" higher up, where I could see the main burner. I played with the gas valve and saw the flames decrease and increase. In the end I left it as it had been, full on (in-line with pipe).

So, not sure what's what. Maybe I should call up Enbridge. Could it be I have some dirt in the line? Why would "jiggling" the supply valve make it kick in? Or was it just a simple coincidence?

wprager

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am by wprager

Well, it's off again, and this time I could not get it started at all. Googling around I think it may be the flame sensor:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/hvac/gas-furnace/repair/Amana-GUIC070/flame-sensor/remove-deposits-on-sensor.htm

Seems like an easy enough DIY job. But, perhaps, after 5-6 years it's time for some pre-winter furnace tune up.

tim1_2

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:48 pm by tim1_2

wprager wrote:Well, it's off again, and this time I could not get it started at all. Googling around I think it may be the flame sensor:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/hvac/gas-furnace/repair/Amana-GUIC070/flame-sensor/remove-deposits-on-sensor.htm

Seems like an easy enough DIY job.

Burning Car

wprager

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:40 pm by wprager

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Well, it's off again, and this time I could not get it started at all. Googling around I think it may be the flame sensor:

Seems like an easy enough DIY job.

Burning Car

Yeah, I'd thought about that.

Happy Thanksgiving  - Page 2 SCTV0858-vi

wprager

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 pm by wprager

Well, I officially give up and will call Enbridge.

I removed the lower panel to read the instructions. It said that the diagnostic light flashing twice meant that the pressure switch was stuck in the closed position.

I took off the upper panel and saw a switch that was in the off position. Off is not the same thing as closed, so not sure it was the same thing. Read the instructions and it looks like that switch is used to turn the furnace off and on.

With the circuit breaker for the furnace off and the gas supply valve closed I flipped the switch, replaced both panels, turned the gas supply valve back to open, then flipped the circuit breaker back on. Then went upstairs and turned thermostat on. It was set at 22 and the temperature was 18, so it would certainly send the signal to turn things up.

Back downstairs, I checked and the burner was still not lit (can't see any light at all in the little viewer). The lower viewer (diagnostic LED) still showed that it was flashing twice. I think that confirms the switch I turned "On" was not the pressure switch that is stuck closed. I flipped the circuit breaker and closed the supply valve until I get some expert help.

Fireplace might be on all night with the blower on.

tim1_2

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 am by tim1_2

At least it's not really cold yet. I went through furnace issues for a year before giving up and getting a new one, but mine was about 16 yrs old, so replacing it didn't hurt that much.

Mine would come on for a couple minutes, and then shut itself down...then wait a few minutes and repeat the process. It only had this problem on REALLY cold days...and no furnace repair guy could figure this out (I had four different guys come out and troubleshoot). Luckily, I had one of those Enbridge home protection plans so everything was covered under that. I think the protection plan was an extra $15 or so per month, and I signed up for it at the first hint of trouble with my furnace. Then I waited a couple months and placed a call under my protection plan.

If your furnace isn't working at all, you probably don't have the luxury of "scamming" the home protection warranty like I did.

wprager

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:50 am by wprager

tim1_2 wrote:At least it's not really cold yet. I went through furnace issues for a year before giving up and getting a new one, but mine was about 16 yrs old, so replacing it didn't hurt that much.

Mine would come on for a couple minutes, and then shut itself down...then wait a few minutes and repeat the process. It only had this problem on REALLY cold days...and no furnace repair guy could figure this out (I had four different guys come out and troubleshoot). Luckily, I had one of those Enbridge home protection plans so everything was covered under that. I think the protection plan was an extra $15 or so per month, and I signed up for it at the first hint of trouble with my furnace. Then I waited a couple months and placed a call under my protection plan.

If your furnace isn't working at all, you probably don't have the luxury of "scamming" the home protection warranty like I did.

In my case Enbridge had turned off our gas while we were away (bank screw up reversed a post-dated online payment, then I did an oopsie on the paperless bill reminder the following billing period); as far as I am concerned I have not had the furnace come on since they turned it back up. The fact that the Off/On switch inside the compartment was in the Off state makes me wonder if the tech even did anything to turn it back up. I think I have a legit case of "You broke it, you fix it" here.

tim1_2

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 am by tim1_2

wprager wrote:
In my case Enbridge had turned off our gas while we were away (bank screw up reversed a post-dated online payment, then I did an oopsie on the paperless bill reminder the following billing period); as far as I am concerned I have not had the furnace come on since they turned it back up. The fact that the Off/On switch inside the compartment was in the Off state makes me wonder if the tech even did anything to turn it back up. I think I have a legit case of "You broke it, you fix it" here.

Look at you, old timer, with your fancy online payments and paperless bill reminders. And look where that got you. For shame, for foresaking the old ways. Facepalm

Cap'n Clutch

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:39 pm by Cap'n Clutch

The real problem here is you haven't said what you're thankful for. :D

shabbs

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:22 pm by shabbs

I'm thankful for hockey.... oh, wait....

Cap'n Clutch

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 pm by Cap'n Clutch

shabbs wrote:I'm thankful for hockey.... oh, wait....

NHL ain't the only hockey to be thankful for my friend. Nod

shabbs

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm by shabbs

Hooray hockey!

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum