GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy Thanksgiving

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I am thankful for in no particular order:

1 - My good health
2 - My wife's current good fortune with her health
3 - My beautiful children
4 - My wonderful life
5 - My generous and loving family both immediate and extended family (that includes members of GMH)
6 - Gainful employment
7 - Finding joy even when it's hidden sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Cheers

- Unknown Author
Share this post on: reddit

shabbs

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm by shabbs

So. Full.

Gobble gobble.

wprager

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 pm by wprager

Went to Montreal today and visited with my parents. Making a small turkey tomorrow and will have my father in law over. Probably should have gotten a second can of whipping cream.

Flo The Action

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 pm by Flo The Action

Ive got a lot to be thankful for this year. probably a big reason why i'm a little absent from this site in the past year.
hope everyone feels the same.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:56 am by Cap'n Clutch

Thanksgiving is one of those golden opportunities to put things into perspective.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

spader

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 pm by spader

I'm pretty thankful to be starting my career in a beautiful place filled with awesome people.

wprager

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm by wprager

I've got a lot to be thankful for; unfortunately a working furnace is not one of those things. Good thing we decided to do all the cooking today. At least the main floor is warm.

Anyone know how these new furnaces (~6 years old) work? I don't see any switches to shut it down like I had in the previous house. I assume there is a pilot light somewhere that needs to be re-lit; the front of the panel says instructions are on the inside. I'd have to remove a few bolts to remove the panel. Should I just wait until tomorrow?

wprager

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 pm by wprager

Oh, and in the meantime, should I set the thermostat to "Off"?

shabbs

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 pm by shabbs

Doh! That sucks. The newer ones usually have a re-set sequence (no more reaching in with a match).

On ours, a Trane, you have do an off/on sequence three times in a row I think. That initiates a restart of the pilot.

Suggest you look up your model on the 'net.

Can you see that the pilot light is indeed out?

wprager

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:02 pm by wprager

shabbs wrote:Doh! That sucks. The newer ones usually have a re-set sequence (no more reaching in with a match).

On ours, a Trane, you have do an off/on sequence three times in a row I think. That initiates a restart of the pilot.

I tried the off/on three times before I went downstairs to try to find the model number. As I was looking around for it (no model number on the outside, by the way, just "Amana") I heard it turn on. Cheering

SeawaySensFan

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 pm by SeawaySensFan

wprager wrote:I've got a lot to be thankful for; unfortunately a working furnace is not one of those things. Good thing we decided to do all the cooking today. At least the main floor is warm.

Anyone know how these new furnaces (~6 years old) work? I don't see any switches to shut it down like I had in the previous house. I assume there is a pilot light somewhere that needs to be re-lit; the front of the panel says instructions are on the inside. I'd have to remove a few bolts to remove the panel. Should I just wait until tomorrow?

Mine has a circuit board with one or two LEDs that blink codes and there's a chart that tells what the codes mean. That furnace has always had a mind of it's own since new (about 5.5 years now). Shutting it off and restarting with the thermostat cranked to the top seems to do the trick every time though.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm by Cap'n Clutch

I'm thankful my brother inlaw owns an HVAC Company Smile

shabbs

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 pm by shabbs

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Doh! That sucks. The newer ones usually have a re-set sequence (no more reaching in with a match).

I tried the off/on three times before I went downstairs to try to find the model number. As I was looking around for it (no model number on the outside, by the way, just "Amana") I heard it turn on. Cheering
Nice! Glad that worked.

wprager

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 pm by wprager

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:

Nice! Glad that worked.

Well, it did, sort of. We've had a couple of warm days so maybe I didn't notice (I have it set at 22 during the day, then 19 overnight, and it was never cold enough outside to make it drop below 19). But last night was a bit colder again, and I noticed that the temperature stayed at 20 despite me turning it up above 22, and this morning it was at 18. Went downstairs and the furnace was cold, so with the temp at 18 and tstat set at 22 it was not on.

So I did the off/on x 3 trick again, went back downstairs and waited. Then on a hunch I turned the gas valve off-and-on and the bugger started up. This time I noticed a second viewing "disc" higher up, where I could see the main burner. I played with the gas valve and saw the flames decrease and increase. In the end I left it as it had been, full on (in-line with pipe).

So, not sure what's what. Maybe I should call up Enbridge. Could it be I have some dirt in the line? Why would "jiggling" the supply valve make it kick in? Or was it just a simple coincidence?

wprager

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am by wprager

Well, it's off again, and this time I could not get it started at all. Googling around I think it may be the flame sensor:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/hvac/gas-furnace/repair/Amana-GUIC070/flame-sensor/remove-deposits-on-sensor.htm

Seems like an easy enough DIY job. But, perhaps, after 5-6 years it's time for some pre-winter furnace tune up.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum