GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+20
Amnesia021
Number Twenty Nine
DirtyDave
sens4win
22_4_ever
DefenceWinsChampionships
stempniaksen
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Riprock
NEELY
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 31 of 67]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Putting in 2 rookies and expecting Cowen to play top line minutes sounds like a recipe for disaster.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Borowiecki is on the team whether it is as a #5, 6, or 7. Sens always carry 7 D men so I don't think this year will be any different nor should it be.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Doan expected to test Free Agency on July 1st...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399323

Strange... I thought he wanted to stay in Phoenix... maybe he knows they're gonna move...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Wouldn't a young player be better off in the line-up, either in the NHL or the AHL instead of the press box?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Putting in 2 rookies and expecting Cowen to play top line minutes sounds like a recipe for disaster.

What has Cowen shown other then a sharp learning curve, potential, and the ability to play big mins in the NHL? He's going to be a top 4 and they will have to sink or swim with that. That's part of building a contending team.

Borowiecki is on the team barring something unforseen, and Gryba/Wiercoich will get every chance to earn that #7 spot. There will be another vet coming in capable of playing top 4 mins but I wouldn't be expecting Dan Boyle to come charging into that room.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Oilers name Ralph Krueger as their new head coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399314

Also, they will be meeting with The Justin Schultz today in Toronto...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399357

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Doan expected to test Free Agency on July 1st...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399323

Strange... I thought he wanted to stay in Phoenix... maybe he knows they're gonna move...

I just don't think he wanted to play in Quebec. Remember, he hates French people. Sarcasm

I guess after 3 years without an owner, something had to give.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Wouldn't a young player be better off in the line-up, either in the NHL or the AHL instead of the press box?

Depends. If he's been in the AHL for 2 1/2 seasons now, being #7 on an NHL depth chart could do wonders. Only so much you can learn in the AHL before you need to take the next step. Gryba is there already after 4 years of college 2 1/2 in the AHL. Wiercoich may need a little more time because he's still pretty raw.

#7 D men in the NHL see probably 50-60 games a year anyways so the point is kind of moot.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Borowiecki only spent 82 games in the AHL. That's the equivalent of one season. If he's not playing in the NHL, he should be in the AHL where he is at least playing.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Hoags wrote:Putting in 2 rookies and expecting Cowen to play top line minutes sounds like a recipe for disaster.

What has Cowen shown other then a sharp learning curve, potential, and the ability to play big mins in the NHL? He's going to be a top 4 and they will have to sink or swim with that. That's part of building a contending team.

Borowiecki is on the team barring something unforseen, and Gryba/Wiercoich will get every chance to earn that #7 spot. There will be another vet coming in capable of playing top 4 mins but I wouldn't be expecting Dan Boyle to come charging into that room.

I know what Cowen has shown but can he play those top minutes for 82 NHL games ?

And just because he can, does it mean he should ? Should they insulate him with a vet for a year or two and ease him into the role rather than throw him out there against other team's top lines night in night out after just 1 year in the NHL ?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well the obvious answer is he can, the real question is as you said "should he".

The Sens are potentially going to be worse than they were this past season.

Alfie another year older and uncertain about future, still haven't upgraded the top 6, losing a top 4 veteran d-man...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tough call. If you don't get a LH D-man, then you're banking on Cowen, Phillips, Boroweicki and Wiercioch to pull you through the tough times. One the right you have Karlsson, Gonchar (who shouldn't really be counted on too much) + a completely open spot. That open spot is really important if you don't add a LH.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Borowiecki only spent 82 games in the AHL. That's the equivalent of one season. If he's not playing in the NHL, he should be in the AHL where he is at least playing.

Borowiecki will be an everyday D man. Gryba is the guy I was talking about. Even if I was talking about Borowiecki is has nothing to learn in the AHL. He's 100% ready for the NHL and even if it's as the #7 guy he will learn more practicing every day with the big club then being in Bingo.

Borowiecki's development as a prospect is done. Everyone knows what he is, knows what he brings, and knows what you will get. Too good for the AHL.

Like I said as well, a #7 guy gets 50-60 games a year.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If the #7 guy gets 50-60 games, isn't he then a top 6 and the other guy is a #7?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:If the #7 guy gets 50-60 games, isn't he then a top 6 and the other guy is a #7?

Injuries, trades, scratches, w/e. A team needs 7 D men. Hell, Ottawa had 8 at one point last year and I think they all got a serious amount of games. Lee was the #7 and he played close to 80 games last year between Ottawa and Tampa.

Being a #7 on an NHL team you are good for 50 games in most cases. 50 games in the NHL is > than however many in the AHL.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:If the #7 guy gets 50-60 games, isn't he then a top 6 and the other guy is a #7?

The other guy may well play more than 50-60 games. The #7 would be covering everyone's injuries, not just the #6.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

LOL

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow, Flames sign Wideman to a 5 years, 5.25 per year contract.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 31 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum