GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joined "Generation-K" today

+9
LethalLehner
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
shabbs
Riprock
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

16Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Check Sears and The Bay for K-Cups (and Tassimo discs).

17Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
I also have a Keurig and am a big fan. The K-Cups aren't cheap, with Costco being the least expensive, but obviously the selection is limited. As mentioned, Tweed & Hickory has a big selection, although I think you end up paying somewhere around $0.75 to $0.80 per cup.

I haven't used the reuseable k-cup myself, but I have a friend that does and it seems to work just fine.

As to your question about each single-serve k-cup being reuseable...well they are not meant to be reuseable.

I have used cafe mocha and hot chocolate k-cups and they work fine, with the only downside being that I like my hot cocoa made with milk, and the Keurig only dispenses water. I've also made iced tea which turned out fine, but it's not something I do regularly.

Actually I had two questions -- whether they are recyclable and whether the reusable one included in the box could be used for hot cocoa.

We recycle smaller plastic containers like pudding and applesauce cups, so I figured I'd give these a try. Well, it's not very easy to remove the top, then you've got the filter with the leftover coffeegrinds. The filter looks like it could be biodegradable (would need to verify that) so it could go in the green bin, and then the plastic cup would go in the blue bin. But, man, getting that lid of would be tough for every cup.

Can I rationalize it by saying I put out two blue boxes (and sometimes a third) every two weeks, and often two black boxes as well? Or is that simply a testament to how much of our food is pre-packaged? Who has time to cook with four kids and two jobs (more like two-and-a-half since one is in hightech).

18Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
I also have a Keurig and am a big fan. The K-Cups aren't cheap, with Costco being the least expensive, but obviously the selection is limited. As mentioned, Tweed & Hickory has a big selection, although I think you end up paying somewhere around $0.75 to $0.80 per cup.

I haven't used the reuseable k-cup myself, but I have a friend that does and it seems to work just fine.

As to your question about each single-serve k-cup being reuseable...well they are not meant to be reuseable.

I have used cafe mocha and hot chocolate k-cups and they work fine, with the only downside being that I like my hot cocoa made with milk, and the Keurig only dispenses water. I've also made iced tea which turned out fine, but it's not something I do regularly.

Actually I had two questions -- whether they are recyclable and whether the reusable one included in the box could be used for hot cocoa.

We recycle smaller plastic containers like pudding and applesauce cups, so I figured I'd give these a try. Well, it's not very easy to remove the top, then you've got the filter with the leftover coffeegrinds. The filter looks like it could be biodegradable (would need to verify that) so it could go in the green bin, and then the plastic cup would go in the blue bin. But, man, getting that lid of would be tough for every cup.

Can I rationalize it by saying I put out two blue boxes (and sometimes a third) every two weeks, and often two black boxes as well? Or is that simply a testament to how much of our food is pre-packaged? Who has time to cook with four kids and two jobs (more like two-and-a-half since one is in hightech).

Heehee...sorry, apparently my reading comprehension is off this morning. Yeah, I have no idea if any parts of the k-cups are recyclable. Ours go in the trash. Along with my paint cans and propane cylinders.

19Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I prefer to burn all my garbage in the backyard. I wrap it all tightly in a plastic garbage bag and then burn the bag.

Wink

20Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 8:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I prefer to burn all my garbage in the backyard. I wrap it all tightly in a plastic garbage bag and then burn the bag.

Wink

No, you don't. You posted a picture of your truck parked outside your house. Neighborhood like that, no way you'd get away with burning your garbage.

Sorry, yes, I see the smiley, I know you keed.

21Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:I prefer to burn all my garbage in the backyard. I wrap it all tightly in a plastic garbage bag and then burn the bag.

Wink

No, you don't. You posted a picture of your truck parked outside your house. Neighborhood like that, no way you'd get away with burning your garbage.

Sorry, yes, I see the smiley, I know you keed.
Heh heh.

22Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a kettle and a jar of Nescafé.

23Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

I now buy the Newman's own from Costco - $33 for 80 cups.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

24Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 10:12 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:I have a kettle and a jar of Nescafé.

Caveman.

25Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

Caveman.

That's "Captain" Caveman to you.

Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 200cd910

26Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 10:25 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do you think Dion has a Captain Caveman tattoo? I assume yes.

27Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Do you think Dion has a Captain Caveman tattoo? I assume yes.

No. He has the image of Sean Avery pumping his woman tattooed on his brain every time he closes his eyes. Beer

28Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 12:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So do I! I had put away the coffeemaker away about a year ago when my (then) 13 year old started getting a little zealous about his coffee in the mornings. I didn't want to make a full pot all the time. So we've been drinking instant for a while.

29Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

So do I! I had put away the coffeemaker away about a year ago when my (then) 13 year old started getting a little zealous about his coffee in the mornings. I didn't want to make a full pot all the time. So we've been drinking instant for a while.

I splurge for some Taster's Choice from time to time.

30Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Cool.

Now, the unit I bought came with a refillable cup already. Is the one you use any different/better? If I get into this a bit more I'll probably want more than one. The pre-filled cups get punctured at the top and bottom -- how does that work for the reusable ones? Or do they have to line up a certain way and the holes are already in the same place? And how long does the filter inside the reusable ones work, and can it be replaced?

31Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 12:28 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a Keurig machine in my office still in the box. Should I use it?

32Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

Cool.

Now, the unit I bought came with a refillable cup already. Is the one you use any different/better? If I get into this a bit more I'll probably want more than one. The pre-filled cups get punctured at the top and bottom -- how does that work for the reusable ones? Or do they have to line up a certain way and the holes are already in the same place? And how long does the filter inside the reusable ones work, and can it be replaced?

Put the one that came with it away. You will need it when you return the defective Kuerig to Costco. I don't like that one anyways. it requires that you remove the cup insert from the machine. The one in the link i gave you, you don't have to remove anything, It plops in just like a K Cup. The filter is stainless steel, so it it should last a good long while.

33Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 2 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I could be wrong, but I thought the one that came with the unit slips in just like a k-cup, too. It's the Platinum version, don't you know. Paid enough for it (mind you, it came with 60 k-cups so I should really subtract at least $30 from the cost if I compare to the models I've seen in other places).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum