GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Predict the Standings - 2011-2012

+9
NEELY
SensHulk
PTFlea
stempniaksen
spader
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
SensGirl11
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.Washington. Not sure about the depth at F to be honest, if here are injuries, which rookie comes up from the A and makes an impact? Like the goal tandem a lot, Vokoun can play - and play well. Problem they might have is that he needs to see a lot of shots to be really effective, otherwise looks good.

2.Pittsburgh. Don't see Philly taking the division, nor do I really see the Rangers winning it (YET), so I'll go with one of the best top 4 Ds in the conference. Even if Crosby doesn't return right away, Malkin will have a couple of real nice wingers to feed - finally. Neal will be a monstrous player this year IMO, Steve Sullivan and J.Staal perhaps? No matter, this team is tightly coached and ready to go.

3.Buffalo. I simply like their roster more than I like Boston's. Beautiful forward depth, nice three lines, plus effective 4th line. Miller is Miller, their D is rock solid. This is the beginning of good things for Sabres' fans.

4.Philly. Don't love what they did in the short term, but it looks pretty good for the next couple of years. B.Schenn has to do something though, not anything like 80 points, but he'll need to notch 40ish in the 3rd line C position. The main focuses are on Jagr and perhaps most importantly Jakob Voracek. If he crashes and burns, there will probably be an issue (although nothing like if Giroux crashes). They better gel quick though...

5.Boston. They'll be in the hunt for the NE title, but in the end, I'm not sure they have the horses to win after a ridiculously long year. Nice to have a kid like Seguin coming in, not too shabby, and the goalie in waiting is a great, young talent.

6.NY Rangers. I've liked this team for a while. Kreider may play this year, and if he does, he'll join Stepan, Dubinsky, Callahan and others that make up the lifeblood of this team. Besides Henrik Lundqvist, the most important players here are Girardi and Staal. Great duo.

7.NJ Devils. This was a team that had a truckload go wrong last year - and with Parise and Kovalchuk, you should be good to go. Better hope Brodeur stays healthy though...

8.TB. Tough decision here between Montreal, TB and Carolina, but I went for TB and coach Boucher. St.Louis is the key to this team. Not fond of the goaltending tandem. One old, one relatively inexperienced in taking over a team if need be (last year he was great though). In the end, it'll be St.Louis/Stamkos + Boucher that can lead this team to a playoff spot, but it'll be tough.

9.Montreal. Could easily take 8th. It literally ALL depends on Carey Price.

10.Carolina. I like this team a lot, but in the end, I think they barely miss this year. McBain, Skinner, Sutter...lots and lots of nice pieces to go with Staal, Ward, Jokinen (personal fav.), Ruutu.

11.Atlanta.

12.Toronto.

13.Ottawa

14.NY Islanders

15.Florida.

EDIT: I changed Ottawa's position slightly after

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

17Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:25 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

West.

1.Vancouver.

2.San Jose.

3.Detroit

4.LA

5.Chicago

6.Anaheim

7.Nashville

8.Columbus - Mason, you better be good!

9.Calgary

10.St.Louis

11.Colorado

12.Minny

13.Phoenix

14.Dallas

15.Edmonton

18Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:He had a so-so season the year before, and wanted to prove that he was not finished, and that he could come back after surgery. Check. He won a Stanley Cup. Check. He won the Playoffs MVP. Check. He won the Vezina, again. Check. He's got the NHL's best full-season SV%. Check.

I'm not saying he's not even going to try, but let's face it, he's not going to be as hungry as he was last season. Still hungry, but not as hungry as before.

I disagree. I don't think that [m]any pro athletes have a mental checklist that operates the way you've outlined. I imagine that, after tasting success the way that he did, Thomas will want nothing more than to do it all again.

Either way, I guess we'll see (to some degree...even after watching the season, it's not necessarily possible to quantify a player's drive). Shrug
Never suggested anyone had a checklist. I only enumerated some of the items that *would* add to someone's drive. Are you telling me that hanging an article in the dressing room that downgrades your team makes no difference in how a team performs? Any extra motivation would squeeze just a little bit more -- maybe not enough to make a noticeable, tangible difference, but you never know.

On the flip side is the "I've tasted blood and I want more, more, more" of course, but for a guy approaching his 40s I wonder.

19Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:54 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

East

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. NYR
5. TBay
6. Philly
7. Buffalo
8. MTL (they always find a way)
9. New Jersey
10. Toronto
11. Carolina
12. Ottawa
13. Winnipeg
14. NYI
15. Florida

West

1. San Jose
2. Vancouver
3. Detroit
4. LA
5. Chicago
6. Anaheim
7. Nashville
8. Columbus
9. St. Louis
10. Calgary
11. Dallas
12. Minnesota
13. Phoenix
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado

That bottom 5/6 looks alot like last year (replace phoenix with Ottawa most likely). Anyways I don't think the sens will be a lotto team but they'll be pretty bad me thinks. All part of the learning process, that damn Craig Anderson is going to steal several games along the way. At the last minute I picked them to be ahead of Winnipeg....tough but it came down to goalies and more wiley vets on our team.

20Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bump

21Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:18 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
2.Pittsburgh. Don't see Philly taking the division, nor do I really see the Rangers winning it (YET), so I'll go with one of the best top 4 Ds in the conference. Even if Crosby doesn't return right away, Malkin will have a couple of real nice wingers to feed - finally. Neal will be a monstrous player this year IMO, Steve Sullivan and J.Staal perhaps? No matter, this team is tightly coached and ready to go.

Absolutely agree. Neal is gonna be an amazing pick in a lot of pools. I also agree that they're gonna be a top team this season. I think Pitts is gonna challenge for the PT.

22Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bump

Not terrible for me, but certainly not great.

23Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boy, really makes you shake your head about Buffalo IMO. I know they've had tremendous injuries, but their depth obviously wasn't good enough to survive that.

24Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OMG, how dare we laugh at the guys on HFBboards when no-one here (in this thread) gave the Sens a chance! It looks like I had them up higher than anyone else, and that was still 2 places out of the playoffs.

25Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Boy, really makes you shake your head about Buffalo IMO. I know they've had tremendous injuries, but their depth obviously wasn't good enough to survive that.

Yah, who would have thought Ottawa would finish ahead of Buffalo...? Who would have thought Buffalo wasn't as good as anyone made them out to be.

I'm pretty sure someone said something along the lines of "How is Buffalo, Montreal, or Toronto any better than Ottawa?". Amazing how you can just force pieces of a team together.

Same guy also said St.Louis would win their division.

Last edited by NEELY on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

26Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Boy, really makes you shake your head about Buffalo IMO. I know they've had tremendous injuries, but their depth obviously wasn't good enough to survive that.

I heard there was animosity in their room(think it said on CBC hot stove) between the old time Sabres and the new FAs that came in with all that money. I guess Miller's strong play got them going again, although you have to wonder what went on when Lucic ran Miller and no one did anything.

Leino is a horrible signing, that's gonna haunt their payroll for years.

27Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Colorado prediction was way off.

28Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:

I heard there was animosity in their room(think it said on CBC hot stove) between the old time Sabres and the new FAs that came in with all that money. I guess Miller's strong play got them going again, although you have to wonder what went on when Lucic ran Miller and no one did anything.

Leino is a horrible signing, that's gonna haunt their payroll for years.

Oh man, that's terrible if true. The GMs duty is to make sure any signings don't mess with the room. Bad!

29Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:

Yah, who would have thought Ottawa would finish ahead of Buffalo...? Who would have thought Buffalo wasn't as good as anyone made them out to be.

I'm pretty sure someone said something along the lines of "How is Buffalo, Montreal, or Toronto any better than Ottawa?". Amazing how you can just force pieces of a team together.

Out of curiousity... where did you say this... assuming you are the person you referenced in the 3rd person. Which you obviously did.

30Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Out of curiousity... where did you say this... assuming you are the person you referenced in the 3rd person. Which you obviously did.

I actually very clearly remember that specific post, where he asked how those three were better than Ottawa.

31Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I forget where it was said... maybe a Toronto thread or something. I took exception to what people were saying when they claimed Ottawa was no where near those other 3 teams. BS from start to end.

32Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think the fact that we got a real number one goaltender + Spezza + Alfie being relatively healthy were a massive contributor, but obviously this season is on MacLean and Karlsson emerging as a number one D-man - I'm not sure we thought that would happen so quick.

Regardless, neat stuff!

33Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings - 2011-2012 Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.gmhockey.com/t5499p160-ottawa-boston-sept-29th-2011-7pm#257522

He pretty much called it Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum