GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves

+13
Jordo
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
strachattack
asq2
22_4_ever
shabbs
LeCaptain
Ev
dennycrane
spader
NEELY
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

strachattack

Rookie
Rookie

Ugh... I just watched TSN's version of who won and who lost. I also watched their take on how well the Canadian teams did. What a joke.

A sample...

So Dreger... who's a winner in your eyes? Tallon from FLA. He loves to build through the draft and moved 6 or 7 roster players and can now boast having a first rounder, 2 seconds and 3 thirds and it goes on and on...

What about Ottawa, Bob McKenzie?
Well, they're just burning it to the ground. They've got some real lean tough years ahead for the fanbase.

Both statements are probably true to a degree but how they spin it awfully frustrating to watch.

17Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

strachattack wrote:Ugh... I just watched TSN's version of who won and who lost. I also watched their take on how well the Canadian teams did. What a joke.

A sample...

So Dreger... who's a winner in your eyes? Tallon from FLA. He loves to build through the draft and moved 6 or 7 roster players and can now boast having a first rounder, 2 seconds and 3 thirds and it goes on and on...

Well, they're just burning it to the ground. They've got some real lean tough years ahead for the fanbase.

Both statements are probably true to a degree but how they spin it awfully frustrating to watch.

You've got to admit, dealing guys like Campoli, Elliott and Ruutu is pretty staggering. And it's not like our 2 firsts and 3 seconds compare with the picks Florida's lined up.

18Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:54 pm

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
strachattack wrote:Ugh... I just watched TSN's version of who won and who lost. I also watched their take on how well the Canadian teams did. What a joke.

A sample...

You've got to admit, dealing guys like Campoli, Elliott and Ruutu is pretty staggering. And it's not like our 2 firsts and 3 seconds compare with the picks Florida's lined up.

Our picks are better then what they have lined up for sure, and our prospect pool/NHL level talent is ahead of where they were last year. They just happened to be one year ahead in the rebuild and had an excellent draft (on paper) last year.

The spin is still very much there, and to be honest it is frustrating.

19Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:10 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:

A sample...

Laugh1

To be fair MacT did give some praise to Ottawa but he grouped them in with other sellers like Edmonton and Toronto. He basically credited the market and the opportunistic moves by all Canadian sellers. Oh well, I should know better with TSN.

20Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

stempniaksen wrote:
asq2 wrote:

A sample...

Our picks are better then what they have lined up for sure, and our prospect pool/NHL level talent is ahead of where they were last year. They just happened to be one year ahead in the rebuild and had an excellent draft (on paper) last year.

The spin is still very much there, and to be honest it is frustrating.

Dreger's comment had me scratch How is FLA the winner? Even if he over looked Ottawa and half the other teams he could have gone with the big splash and said Edmonton, LA, Vancouver, etc... but FLA? A little too out there to be considered clever. He's trying too hard me thinks.

21Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

A sample...

I was just gonna post the same thing. Burn it to the ground! Lean years coming! Yeah? As lean as this one? As lean as 09? Perhaps it will be, but it should have a whole lot more energy and it should at least be fun to watch. This is the lean times Bob - or maybe not this right now, but the last 4 years with the exception of that BS 12 game winning streak have been the damn lean times, we know it can only get more fun to watch.

Plus, who are we talking about here? Mike Fisher? Great guy, hard to play against, a 20 goal man - no offense to him, but he's not the game-breaker people around the league think he is. Chris Kelly is amazing, but we can have someone do a similar job for less, Campoli is instantly replaced by Cowen or Rundblad, Kovalev sucked, Ruutu is Z.Smith, Elliott for Anderson is in Ottawa's favour.

Lean times coming...lean times have come, they've been here for a while.

22Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:

A sample...

I was just gonna post the same thing. Burn it to the ground! Lean years coming! Yeah? As lean as this one? As lean as 09? Perhaps it will be, but it should have a whole lot more energy and it should at least be fun to watch. This is the lean times Bob - or maybe not this right now, but the last 4 years with the exception of that BS 12 game winning streak have been the damn lean times, we know it can only get more fun to watch.

Plus, who are we talking about here? Mike Fisher? Great guy, hard to play against, a 20 goal man - no offense to him, but he's not the game-breaker people around the league think he is. Chris Kelly is amazing, but we can have someone do a similar job for less, Campoli is instantly replaced by Cowen or Rundblad, Kovalev sucked, Ruutu is Z.Smith, Elliott for Anderson is in Ottawa's favour.

Lean times coming...lean times have come, they've been here for a while.

I was yelling much of this at my screen while I was watching. Dreger's reasoning for picking FLA as a winner had me busting a valve. If you're going to reason FLA as winner for what they did it's pretty basic logic you completely over looked Ottawa for going that much further with that reasoning. Bah!

23Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I give Murray a 12 out of 5.

24Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Fisher A: Tons of respect for Murray on the trade. Sent Fisher where he'd like to go. That will give bonus points to FAs everywhere, I have to imagine. Return wasn't bad either.

Kelly B-: Although the return was good, I HATE to see Kelly go. Low cap hit, effective player, and well liked guy on the team. Is really starting to emerge as a contributor to the team, and was one of the few who was actually having a good year. Not sure why Murray traded him, but I'm thinking his scouting dept might have high aspirations for this year's draft.

Ruutu C+: He probably could have gotten more if he had waited a little longer, but as a pending UFA, can't expect much.

Elliott A++: Still can't believe he pulled this one off. We should be extending him sooner rather than later. Still young and will be a nice stop gap until Lehner is ready.

Kovalev C: Like Ruutu, I imagine he could have gotten more if he waited last minute. Can't imagine Pitts had any other moves to make up for him. That being said, props again to Murray for trading a player to where he wanted to go.

Campoli A: People forget that months ago, Campoli was a complete waste of space. He's picked up his play, but to get a 2nd and prospect for him is a phenominal return. Great job by Murray here.

McEhilleny B- Doesn't really make sense to some, but hopefully this puts Lehner back in the minors where he belongs. Let's hope he gets a ton of starts to help us get that higher draft pick. We're winning far too many games with Anderson in net.

Overall, I really like what Murray's done. And in my mind, he's secured his spot in management for years to come- not in a GM position, but definitely as an advisor. I love Murrays' talent in the drafting department, and think that this is truly where he earns his keep. He's shown that year after year, and with him at the helm- I think that our rebuild is in great hands.

As I've alluded to as well, I think Murray has done a great job making this an attractive market to FAs. He could have pushed Phillips out the door, could have traded Fisher and Kelly for higher returns, and dangled Kovalev to some other team for a 6th to his dismay. This shows alot of respect to the players in Ottawa, and lets the players in the league know that Ottawa management treats their players with a ton of respect.

You'd never see Burke make these kind of moves- I get the idea that he's got a team first attitude, and doesn't give a Dung about the individual players. This is likely more a result of the mainstream media in TO, but regardless.

25Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

strachattack wrote:

To be fair MacT did give some praise to Ottawa but he grouped them in with other sellers like Edmonton and Toronto. He basically credited the market and the opportunistic moves by all Canadian sellers. Oh well, I should know better with TSN.

Edmonton clearly won the draft. Their return on Penner was ridiculous. That was a desperation move by Lombardi without a doubt. A 1st AND Teubert? AND a 2nd next year?!!? Christ.

I've really stopped caring about what TSN has to say about Ottawa. I learned a long time ago that if Leaves fans won't like it, they won't say it.

Ottawa's in such a better position than Toronto. Florida's moves were awful, and they aren't going anywhere with the draft. TSN's becoming an old boys club- where the GMs they're close with (Tallon, Holland, Burke, Chiarelli) are paraded as geniuses.

26Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:09 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:
strachattack wrote:

Edmonton clearly won the draft. Their return on Penner was ridiculous. That was a desperation move by Lombardi without a doubt. A 1st AND Teubert? AND a 2nd next year?!!? Christ.

I've really stopped caring about what TSN has to say about Ottawa. I learned a long time ago that if Leaves fans won't like it, they won't say it.

Ottawa's in such a better position than Toronto. Florida's moves were awful, and they aren't going anywhere with the draft. TSN's becoming an old boys club- where the GMs they're close with (Tallon, Holland, Burke, Chiarelli) are paraded as geniuses.

I don't like the Leafs but they should be a better team than the Sens for at least 3 years+ IMO. Their D corps looks pretty good and they have some nice forward prospects. Plus they have some good players right now in Grabo, Kessel, Kulemin, etc.

27Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:07 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Let's do this, how did Murray do?

Mike Fisher to NSH for 1st and Conditional 2nd/3rd A

Chris Kelly to BOS for 2nd A

Jarkko Ruutu to ANA for 6th C

Brian Elliott to COL for Craig Anderson A+

Alex Kovalev to PIT for conditional 7th D

Christ Campoli and conditional 7th to CHI for Ryan Poltuney and 2nd A

Re-signs Chris Phillips to 3 year 9.25 Million dollar contract B+

PS I didn't include waiver transactions.

Total Grade: A

Reason:

NEGATIVE: Murray's smart enough to know what he can and can't do. If Kovalev could only net a 7th, then so be it. If Ruutu could only net a 6th, again, so be it. Just felt like those couldn't possibly be the best returns.

POSITIVE:
Everything else, literally everything from re-signing Big Rig, to shipping Campoli out for a 2nd, the theft of Anderson from the Avs (thanks again Sherman for messing that one up, but good!).

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovalav limited Murrays options for locations by saying he only wanted to go to Pittsburg. As a whole I am comfortable with what Murray has done over the past few weeks. I am a little disappointed that Kuba or Gonchar aren't gone but at least if they turn their careers around next season it gives Murray more assets to move for more picks down the road.

Seeing what Edmonton got makes me Dammit! at Heatley. Your lucky Murray caved to your demands as you should have played out or your contract or at least sit at home.

28Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:21 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Kovalev was on the radio here yesterday and he seemed surprised that he ended up in Pittsburgh. He certainly didn't sound like he knew he would be here.

29Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I give Murray a 12 out of 5.

Why so hard on the guy? Sarcasm

30Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

On the whole, I’d give him a B+. No real prospects to speak of, but tons of picks and cap space.

31Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
Seeing what Edmonton got makes me Dammit! at Heatley. Your lucky Murray caved to your demands as you should have played out or your contract or at least sit at home.

Ain't that the truth. Penner didn't have a NTC I don't think, that really killed us with Heatley. Whatever I guess...just glad not to have that albatross of a contract on the books. Whatever Heatley used to be, he ain't anymore.

32Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, Teubert has not developed as hoped thus far. He's still got decent upside but he's almost a reclamation project at this point.

[hipster]I felt this way before he got traded to Edmonton.[/hipster]

33Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:
Big Ev wrote:These moves don't change the fact that he should not be re-upped. Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 54934

June 24 should though Rate Murray's trades/signings/moves - Page 2 54934

Nope.

Yes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum