GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe

+5
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
wprager
SDH89
Riprock
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:03 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
Dash wrote:Why keep someone just because you won't get much for him? Sens didn't get *anything* for Kovalev, should they have kept him?

Phillips is not worth $3M+.

The Rangers are serious about winning another cup. Next on their list is Richards. How they manage to do it is beyond me.

He absolutely, unequivocally is worth more than $3M. I'd love to get him for 3, and whether Murray does that or not, I don't know. But on the open market he's worth more than $3M. Look at similar players:

- Cory Sarich who is not as good defensively, is of similar age (32), is more physical though, and hasn't put up as good numbers offensively, makes 3.7M per year.
- Eric Brewer, probably a little better offensively, about as physical, a year younger, a little worse defensively, just finished a contract where he was paid $4M per year.
- Mattias Ohlund who is similar defensively, has some leadership, better offensively, and little older, but is signed onto a contract that expires just before his 40th birthday, with a cap hit of $3.67M.

And I can keep going, bringing up contracts like Hannan (4.5), Commodore (3.75), Jackman (3.625), Rivet (3.5)...

I don't think he's worth 3+ million no matter what other d-men make. Just because they were overpaid doesn't mean we have to overpay Phillips.

I agree that if he wants to stay, he needs to take a paycut. If you want more money, test the market. This is what the Yankees did to Derek Jeter, and in the end he came back on his hands and knees to the Yankees.

That's how salaries are set, based on similar contracts to similar players.

And are you seriously trying to compare the salary offer to Phillips to the salary of the 3rd highest paid player (per year) in baseball? Jeter makes $22.6M per year, and that's the offer he got from the Yankees. Obviously no one is going to go higher than that.

17Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:17 pm

garblar

Rookie
Rookie

Bass Destruction wrote:
Dash wrote:Why keep someone just because you won't get much for him? Sens didn't get *anything* for Kovalev, should they have kept him?

Phillips is not worth $3M+.

The Rangers are serious about winning another cup. Next on their list is Richards. How they manage to do it is beyond me.

He absolutely, unequivocally is worth more than $3M. I'd love to get him for 3, and whether Murray does that or not, I don't know. But on the open market he's worth more than $3M. Look at similar players:

- Cory Sarich who is not as good defensively, is of similar age (32), is more physical though, and hasn't put up as good numbers offensively, makes 3.7M per year.
- Eric Brewer, probably a little better offensively, about as physical, a year younger, a little worse defensively, just finished a contract where he was paid $4M per year.
- Mattias Ohlund who is similar defensively, has some leadership, better offensively, and little older, but is signed onto a contract that expires just before his 40th birthday, with a cap hit of $3.67M.

And I can keep going, bringing up contracts like Hannan (4.5), Commodore (3.75), Jackman (3.625), Rivet (3.5)...

so because other teams have overpaid dmen we should too?

a player's open market value is usually much higher than their actual worth. im ok with 3M for phillips, but it is an overpayment

18Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev and Garblar understand where I am coming from.

19Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

@NHLSourcesSay tweets that contract talks are going nowhere,and expects him to be traded tomorrow (which could mean today -- that twete was from 4AM).

Kind of suspected that when there was nothing on Saturday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum