GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe

+5
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
wprager
SDH89
Riprock
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Large

The New York Rangers have acquired defenceman Bryan McCabe from the Florida Panthers for forward Tim Kennedy and a 3rd round draft pick in 2011.

2Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:10 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Not a great return, not a good sign for a Phillips trade, let's just hang on to him.

3Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Why keep someone just because you won't get much for him? Sens didn't get *anything* for Kovalev, should they have kept him?

Phillips is not worth $3M+.

The Rangers are serious about winning another cup. Next on their list is Richards. How they manage to do it is beyond me.

4Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why is it that, no matter which thread I go to, there's a debate whether Phillips is worth $3.5M or a 2nd rounder.

5Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Because this is apparently an Ottawa Senators fan site. I'm trying to diversify. Obviously McCabe is a guy who would be a comparable for many defenceman on the market. And by comparable I mean, compared to him, Phillips is worth a lot less.

6Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Because this is apparently an Ottawa Senators fan site. I'm trying to diversify. Obviously McCabe is a guy who would be a comparable for many defenceman on the market. And by comparable I mean, compared to him, Phillips is worth a lot less.

That's another statement I definitely have to disagree with. They're very different players, granted, and teams tend to pay more for offense rather than defense, but Phillips nets at least what McCabe just did. Brewer got a 3rd and a prospect, or basically what McCabe just got. Phillips brings that back or more, minimum.

7Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

McCabe is not a comparable to Phillips. Maybe to Souray.

8Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:Why keep someone just because you won't get much for him? Sens didn't get *anything* for Kovalev, should they have kept him?

The Rangers are serious about winning another cup. Next on their list is Richards. How they manage to do it is beyond me.

He absolutely, unequivocally is worth more than $3M. I'd love to get him for 3, and whether Murray does that or not, I don't know. But on the open market he's worth more than $3M. Look at similar players:

- Cory Sarich who is not as good defensively, is of similar age (32), is more physical though, and hasn't put up as good numbers offensively, makes 3.7M per year.
- Eric Brewer, probably a little better offensively, about as physical, a year younger, a little worse defensively, just finished a contract where he was paid $4M per year.
- Mattias Ohlund who is similar defensively, has some leadership, better offensively, and little older, but is signed onto a contract that expires just before his 40th birthday, with a cap hit of $3.67M.

And I can keep going, bringing up contracts like Hannan (4.5), Commodore (3.75), Jackman (3.625), Rivet (3.5)...

9Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Only a few teams left holding their peckers - San Jose is one, unless they think White was the answer.

10Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's because of McCabe's NTC though, in this case he'd only waive it for NY (apparently) - and he actually wanted to stay in FLA. NY knew this and low-balled - hope it doesn't happen with Phillips, but it might.

11Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bass Destruction wrote:
Dash wrote:Why keep someone just because you won't get much for him? Sens didn't get *anything* for Kovalev, should they have kept him?

He absolutely, unequivocally is worth more than $3M. I'd love to get him for 3, and whether Murray does that or not, I don't know. But on the open market he's worth more than $3M. Look at similar players:

- Cory Sarich who is not as good defensively, is of similar age (32), is more physical though, and hasn't put up as good numbers offensively, makes 3.7M per year.
- Eric Brewer, probably a little better offensively, about as physical, a year younger, a little worse defensively, just finished a contract where he was paid $4M per year.
- Mattias Ohlund who is similar defensively, has some leadership, better offensively, and little older, but is signed onto a contract that expires just before his 40th birthday, with a cap hit of $3.67M.

And I can keep going, bringing up contracts like Hannan (4.5), Commodore (3.75), Jackman (3.625), Rivet (3.5)...

I don't think he's worth 3+ million no matter what other d-men make. Just because they were overpaid doesn't mean we have to overpay Phillips.

I agree that if he wants to stay, he needs to take a paycut. If you want more money, test the market. This is what the Yankees did to Derek Jeter, and in the end he came back on his hands and knees to the Yankees.

12Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

I don't think he's worth 3+ million no matter what other d-men make. Just because they were overpaid doesn't mean we have to overpay Phillips.

I agree that if he wants to stay, he needs to take a paycut. If you want more money, test the market. This is what the Yankees did to Derek Jeter, and in the end he came back on his hands and knees to the Yankees.

So you'd rather risk all the animosity towards a guy who's been here for 11 years for what, 500K-1M of cap space that the team don't even remotely close to need? Or because it "looks bad"? To whom exactly? and who cares? Melnyk? This is ridiculous...

13Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:03 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

That's how salaries are set, based on similar contracts to similar players.

And are you seriously trying to compare the salary offer to Phillips to the salary of the 3rd highest paid player (per year) in baseball? Jeter makes $22.6M per year, and that's the offer he got from the Yankees. Obviously no one is going to go higher than that.

14Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:17 pm

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

Bass Destruction wrote:

so because other teams have overpaid dmen we should too?

a player's open market value is usually much higher than their actual worth. im ok with 3M for phillips, but it is an overpayment

15Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe  Empty Re: Rangers acquire Bryan McCabe Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev and Garblar understand where I am coming from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum