GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups

+7
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
shabbs
rooneypoo
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

We don't *need* a top-pairing D-man: Cowen/Karlsson is the top pairing of the future NOW. On the right side we then have Gonchar and Lee, and on the left side we have Phillips and Borowiecki. All we need is depth (... depth is all we need ... she depth you yeah, yeah, yeah...)

17Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:15 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:We don't *need* a top-pairing D-man: Cowen/Karlsson is the top pairing of the future NOW. On the right side we then have Gonchar and Lee, and on the left side we have Phillips and Borowiecki. All we need is depth (... depth is all we need ... she depth you yeah, yeah, yeah...)

We definitely do need a top pairing d-man. This has been perhaps our biggest downfall this season. I love Karlsson and Cowen as much as anyone, but both are still REALLY young, and both are still prone to mistakes. The only legit top-pairing defenceman this team has right now is Karlsson, and he's offensively-minded. I assume Gonchar will only be worse next year, and Phillips isn't getting any younger. Yeah, we should shell out some big bucks for a d-man.

18Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:29 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it depends on how quickly the Sens want this "re-build / re-tool" to take really. Do they grow with Cowen and Karlsson as the main D at the helm or do they bring in a legitimate top pairing D to take pressure off these two?

It really shouldn't come as a big surprise that our weak spot is D considering that not much has changed on the back end other than Karlsson is having a ridiculous offensive year and Cowen is performing a bit above expectations. Phillips has continued to struggle and the shine has worn off of Gonchar's seemingly decent start to the year as well.

19Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:How do you justify a need for a top-9 winger when you have Foligno on the 4th line along with Zibanejad (we have decided that he is better suited to wing).

That's open for a lot of debate. I think Butler will be moved at the deadline this year personally, so that opens another roster spot and I think the chances are there that the Sens won't necessarily want to bank on either Silfverberg or Zibanejad being guys they lean on heavily next year.

For sure we need a top line winger - which will be very difficult to get, maybe impossible, but then comes some of the more interesting scenarios IMO, like is there a line of Greening/Smith/Condra in the future? Is Neil playing on line 4? Where will Z-Bad play? Where will Silfverberg play? Will Regin return and if so, will it be with the Sens?

In my final analysis, I left out the top 9 forward, instead electing to keep a 'place holder' in there (Butler), while spending money on a top line W (6 million) and a top pairing D-man (6 million).

Butler will not go anywhere IMO. He'll finish out his contract in Ottawa and then I'd be surprised if he finds another NHL gig.

20Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think it depends on how quickly the Sens want this "re-build / re-tool" to take really. Do they grow with Cowen and Karlsson as the main D at the helm or do they bring in a legitimate top pairing D to take pressure off these two?

It really shouldn't come as a big surprise that our weak spot is D considering that not much has changed on the back end other than Karlsson is having a ridiculous offensive year and Cowen is performing a bit above expectations. Phillips has continued to struggle and the shine has worn off of Gonchar's seemingly decent start to the year as well.

There's no reason to believe that Phillips or Gonchar are going to be any better next year. Carkner/Lee are both 6/7 guys and are UFAs. Kuba is UFA. We're going to need a good d-man regardless of where anyone sees this rebuild going. Why stick with the status quo when we have the cap space to improve?

No harm in having an abundance of good defensemen!

21Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No harm in getting another top 4 d-man (ex. Suter). Would help out a lot, you need a very capable top 4. Imagine having two lines of Cowen-Karlsson?

22Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think it depends on how quickly the Sens want this "re-build / re-tool" to take really. Do they grow with Cowen and Karlsson as the main D at the helm or do they bring in a legitimate top pairing D to take pressure off these two?

There's no reason to believe that Phillips or Gonchar are going to be any better next year. Carkner/Lee are both 6/7 guys and are UFAs. Kuba is UFA. We're going to need a good d-man regardless of where anyone sees this rebuild going. Why stick with the status quo when we have the cap space to improve?

I guess my point is do they blow a wad on FA D men or do they take the growing pains that come with Cowen and Karlsson? You're stuck with Phillips and Gonchar (Gonchar might be move-able at next year's deadline) and that leaves two open spots. Do they pick up a service-able D in FA for the bottom pair and bring up Borweki (sp)? I would personally hope that they do spend some money on a legitimate top pairing D man.

Lets be honest here. It's all about bums in the seats. Winning will do that.

23Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I guess my point is do they blow a wad on FA D men or do they take the growing pains that come with Cowen and Karlsson? You're stuck with Phillips and Gonchar (Gonchar might be move-able at next year's deadline) and that leaves two open spots. Do they pick up a service-able D in FA for the bottom pair and bring up Borweki (sp)? I would personally hope that they do spend some money on a legitimate top pairing D man.

Lets be honest here. It's all about bums in the seats. Winning will do that.

If the Sens decide to resign Kuba, then I don't think we do more than add maybe one or two depth Dmen. If they move away from Kuba, then I can definitely see them gunning for a top 4, lefty D, plus depth. Phillips does not pair all that well with Karlsson or Gonchar -- at least, it hasn't worked well at all to date -- so it looks like his time in the top 4 is done.

24Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:12 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:We don't *need* a top-pairing D-man: Cowen/Karlsson is the top pairing of the future NOW. On the right side we then have Gonchar and Lee, and on the left side we have Phillips and Borowiecki. All we need is depth (... depth is all we need ... she depth you yeah, yeah, yeah...)

We definitely do need a top pairing d-man. This has been perhaps our biggest downfall this season. I love Karlsson and Cowen as much as anyone, but both are still REALLY young, and both are still prone to mistakes. The only legit top-pairing defenceman this team has right now is Karlsson, and he's offensively-minded. I assume Gonchar will only be worse next year, and Phillips isn't getting any younger. Yeah, we should shell out some big bucks for a d-man.

I agree for the most part. Not really impressed with Gonchar's ability to do much more now than man the PP.

25Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:14 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I agree for the most part. Not really impressed with Gonchar's ability to do much more now than man the PP.

Maybe Gonchar gets dealt at the deadline whether we're buyers or not?

26Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Gonchar + for Suter Sarcasm

27Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 am

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Don't forget the rumour that Bogosian is going to be here next year. Sarcasm

28Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:Gonchar + for Suter Sarcasm

That + looks really small, but it'd have to be pretty huge for that equation to work.

29Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, so Carkenr + Lee for Bogosian, Gonchar + 1st for Suter

30Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wonder if NHL 12 would accept these trades. It would probably do Gonchar + 1st for Suter.

31Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hobiesens wrote:Don't forget the rumour that Bogosian is going to be here next year. Sarcasm

Yes please!

32Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Bryan Murray said to the 'press' this morning.. that the Sens will not be buyers at the deadline as the price is too high. He is not giving up prospects or high picks for a rental player.

Thank heaven for that..

Another little tidbit from Pierre McGuire on the Team 1200 this morning... he was speculating only.. that if both Suter & Parise do not sign with their respective clubs.. he would not be surprised for them to go as a package to a new team. They have been great friends for many years... what a pickup for any team that would be...

33Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups - Page 2 Empty Re: Senators Salary Cap Chart/Lineups Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:Bryan Murray said to the 'press' this morning.. that the Sens will not be buyers at the deadline as the price is too high. He is not giving up prospects or high picks for a rental player.

Thank heaven for that..

Another little tidbit from Pierre McGuire on the Team 1200 this morning... he was speculating only.. that if both Suter & Parise do not sign with their respective clubs.. he would not be surprised for them to go as a package to a new team. They have been great friends for many years... what a pickup for any team that would be...

Good to know!

Suter and Parise...We've got the need and the cap space!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum