GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread

+25
dennycrane
Number Twenty Nine
sandysensfan
Hoags
strachattack
Bramlet07
top shelf15
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
CockRoche
dawg's wife
rooneypoo
shabbs
SDH89
Ev
LeCaptain
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
jawal
stempniaksen
wprager
sens4win
SensHulk
Riprock
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 23]

2412010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I think it's a good thing Lehner faces some controversy and adversity now rather than later.

With all the buzz around Lehner, it seems everyone thought he'd have a flawless rise to the #1 goaltending position, which is unrealistic. At least from a fans' perspective it may temper some unrealistic expectations that he's the next Lundqvist which I think is silly.

Cowen is the same way, quite highly touted but with his injury, mono and his struggles to regain his game and mobility he's one of the most scrutinized prospects we got.

2422010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:I think it's a good thing Lehner faces some controversy and adversity now rather than later.

With all the buzz around Lehner, it seems everyone thought he'd have a flawless rise to the #1 goaltending position, which is unrealistic. At least from a fans' perspective it may temper some unrealistic expectations that he's the next Lundqvist which I think is silly.

Cowen is the same way, quite highly touted but with his injury, mono and his struggles to regain his game and mobility he's one of the most scrutinized prospects we got.

Some controversy and adversity is good for sure, but I just hope he hasn't had too much, too soon. It has been a rough year development-wise for Lehner. His progression is my only focus.

Other than that very minor tweak to your post, I think your other analysis on Lehner and Cowen as prospects is perfect. Something everyone should read and remember.

Another gem from Hoags.

2432010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was wrong, Lehner will not play in the Bronze game today.

2442010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I was wrong, Lehner will not play in the Bronze game today.

Disappointing, for sure. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

2452010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

I am. Sweden should have given him another try today, he has a lot to prove and he's very motivated.

2462010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:37 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if sweden feels lehner let them down in the semis...? He hasn't had strong games the last two, but stoned canada in the shootout.

Either way, I'm disappointed. I wanna see Lehner play.

2472010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I can tell you who's really disappointed by this whole fiasco: the Sens organization. They lent out Lehner on the understanding that he would play, lots, barring a colossal collapse. Instead, Lehner got two our four games in the round robin, and one more in the medal rounds. That means he played 50% of the games.

Tim Murray (I think?) was on the air last week saying that they expected Lehner to play a lot -- I'm sure 50% of the games doesn't qualify. The Sens org can't be happy with how Lehner has been handled, at all.

2482010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:I wonder if sweden feels lehner let them down in the semis...? He hasn't had strong games the last two, but stoned canada in the shootout.

I'm trying not to be a homer, but I don't understand if they think Lehner let them down. He kept Sweden in the game in the first period and a half, then let in a tough goal to tie it up. The SO, there was nothing he could do.

I think in the grand scheme Lehner's been really solid. Maybe Gonz has been better, but I can't really think of anyone else head and shoulders about Lehner. Very disappointed personally.

2492010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:50 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

really woudl have been sweet though if Lehner found a way to stone russia in the dying minutes of the game....guaranteed gold medal for one of the sens prospects then. Not to mention an awesome sweden-canada redemption matchup.

2502010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:really woudl have been sweet though if Lehner found a way to stone russia in the dying minutes of the game....guaranteed gold medal for one of the sens prospects then. Not to mention an awesome sweden-canada redemption matchup.

I was more upset when SG11 called me to tell me Russia tied it up than I would be for the Canadians losing to the US. I care more about prospects and I was 100% geared up for Lehner in the Gold Medal game.

2512010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:I wonder if sweden feels lehner let them down in the semis...? He hasn't had strong games the last two, but stoned canada in the shootout.

You may get your wish soon (Murray might call him up soon).

2522010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:44 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

I am. Sweden should have given him another try today, he has a lot to prove and he's very motivated.

He had a lot to prove in the semi-final game and he didn't show up in his best form.

I hinted earlier at the fact that I didn't think he would get the start for today's game. I didn't want to come out and say it, because obviously, I have no way of knowing for sure.

2532010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Was it just me or did a lot of goals on Lehner go 5-hole? Is that a weakness of his due to his size?

2542010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

Oh dear God. What a gong-show right from the day Ottawa said he would start the year in the AHL.

2552010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Was it just me or did a lot of goals on Lehner go 5-hole? Is that a weakness of his due to his size?

To be honest, I don't recall if his 5-hole was getting abused or not.

Was he in his crouch or butterfly when the goals went in? I need to know which of the positions he was in when they went 5-hole to fully answer your question about size, even though it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Maybe I will go back and watch the games I have recorded; but I really don't think his 5-hole is a problem IIRC.

2562010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hmmm... can't recall specifically... on one he was going side to side in a crouch, which does expose the 5-hole as the goalie moves their legs to push...

2572010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:04 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
wprager wrote:

Oh dear God. What a gong-show right from the day Ottawa said he would start the year in the AHL.

Let's face it.. Sweden would probably be playing in the Gold medal game today if it wasn't for that non-icing call. He has let in a couple of bad goals.. but I think he's still had a good WJC -- especially that round-robin game when he shut-out Russia. The Canada game.. he was amazing in the shoot-out. So he has had his flashes. That Russia game in the semis -- I think the team in front of him was not very good either until late 2nd period... too little .. too late. I think they were to cocky.. that hurt them.

2582010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
He had a lot to prove in the semi-final game and he didn't show up in his best form.

I hinted earlier at the fact that I didn't think he would get the start for today's game. I didn't want to come out and say it, because obviously, I have no way of knowing for sure.

I don't know about that, we talked about that. The goals weren't fantastic on him, but they weren't deplorable. He was one stop away from shutting down the Russians - and that stupid non-icing call hurt him and the Swedes irrecoverably.

Who's been better than Lehner? Maybe Gonz, but that's about it. He deserved this game, but as one Swedish fan I was talking to said: this game means nothing, I'm glad they're resting him so he can get back to the AHL and play there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum