GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa trade rumours

+28
dawg's wife
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
garblar
TheAvatar
spader
Hoags
asq2
rooneypoo
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
shabbs
The Silfer Server
Sens4thecup
cash
Ev
wprager
stempniaksen
CockRoche
SDH89
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
PTFlea
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 35]

466Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

A 2nd-rounder for Phillips would be decent return, I think. Look at his numbers this year. Even for a 2nd, we'd be getting more in return than he's currently worth...teams would be paying based on his past performance, and hoping he can get it back in gear.

If Kovalev’s been traded, I’m a monkey’s uncle.

467Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:A 2nd-rounder for Phillips would be decent return, I think. Look at his numbers this year. Even for a 2nd, we'd be getting more in return than he's currently worth...teams would be paying based on his past performance, and hoping he can get it back in gear.

If Kovalev’s been traded, I’m a monkey’s uncle.

Is your nephew named Slats or Ray Shero?

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

468Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Market for rentals isn't much.

Philips has sucked this year and I'm sure other GMs can suspect he'll prefer to resign here in the offseason anyway.

This isn't some multiple Norris winner, HHOF candiate here.

I think Phillips can be the guy that solidifies a team's 2nd pairing in a big, big way. Put him with Brian Rafalski for example and have a nice, tidy top 4 of Lidstrom, Stuart, Rafalski, Phillips. Or, the better option IMO is San Jose who needs a D-man with experience badly. McGinn or a SJ 1st + a cap dump of Wallin or Huskins would be the price I would be asking. Maybe even Setoguchi, but I have reservations about a guy who drops off so much like he has. The Sens can't afford to dump a guy with 10+ years of stellar work for a 2nd round pick, if he moves, believe me it'll be for a 1st rounder or a forward similar to McGinn or Setoguchi. If he isn't dealt, then I assume the offers weren't good enough and now Ottawa needs to think about re-signing him immediately.

That's my take on the Phillips situation and I think we'll see something similar come to fruition.

469Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 am

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Rookie
Rookie

I think philips will go to the Lightning for a 2nd rounder and Dana Tyrell as a rental at the deadline and then back to Ottawa next year. Brett Connolly and a 4th rounder would be sweeeet as well.

470Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laugh1 No kidding Brett Connolly would be sweet.

471Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:The Sens can't afford to dump a guy with 10+ years of stellar work for a 2nd round pick, if he moves, believe me it'll be for a 1st rounder or a forward similar to McGinn or Setoguchi. If he isn't dealt, then I assume the offers weren't good enough and now Ottawa needs to think about re-signing him immediately.

The Sens can’t afford to consider Phillips’ past performance as current value. Yeah, the nostalgia of having him around is great, but he’s just not contributing as much as he used to on the defensive end. We’re better served just giving Lee (or someone else) a permanent spot on the blueline, and getting what we can for Phillips. You see veterans traded all the time for picks as playoff rentals…Phillips is no different. I wouldn’t be against resigning him in the offseason if he takes a “home-town discount”, but the time has come in Ottawa to get what you can for some of our vets and give the youngsters a shot.

472Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:The Sens can't afford to dump a guy with 10+ years of stellar work for a 2nd round pick, if he moves, believe me it'll be for a 1st rounder or a forward similar to McGinn or Setoguchi. If he isn't dealt, then I assume the offers weren't good enough and now Ottawa needs to think about re-signing him immediately.

The Sens can’t afford to consider Phillips’ past performance as current value. Yeah, the nostalgia of having him around is great, but he’s just not contributing as much as he used to on the defensive end. We’re better served just giving Lee (or someone else) a permanent spot on the blueline, and getting what we can for Phillips. You see veterans traded all the time for picks as playoff rentals…Phillips is no different. I wouldn’t be against resigning him in the offseason if he takes a “home-town discount”, but the time has come in Ottawa to get what you can for some of our vets and give the youngsters a shot.

I'm gonna throw out a cap hit number here. $2.65m

Has a nice ring to it.

473Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm gonna throw out a cap hit number here. $2.65m

Has a nice ring to it.

With 3 assists and a -18, he’s on pace for his worst season…since…well…ever. I understand that the true value of a guy like Phillips isn’t necessarily in his stats. He does provide some leadership and could certainly be a serviceable shutdown D in the playoffs for a team that needs that. I just don’t think that the reasons FOR outweigh the reasons AGAINST keeping him right now.

474Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:and i don't think it's impossible though... alfie is a proven leader/ playoff hero (well the cup run we had he was the lone white knight in the finals even though we lost)
i'd class him in the Raymond Bourque category. plus it's not like he's a playoff rental. you have 2 more years of his service. i don't think it's impossible to demand schenn AND Hickey/Teubert. to be honest it doesn't matter if we have too many stud D prospects, we can flip one for a forward prospect with another team after. you take the best man available.

I would disagree and say it is impossible. There is no way Alfie will ever be traded from Ottawa. He signed his current deal with the intention of finishing his career where it started, and that's exactly what will happen.

What would be great is if we could get someone to take Gonchar off our hands, but his cap hit and term (2 more years) make that all but impossible I think. That three year deal isn't looking very good right now.

that would send the wrong message. you can't trade a guy after he's signed a deal. what does that say to any potential FA we want to give contracts to? plus gonchar is being badly used on a mis-coached team. we aren't using him to his true value or potential. i'm sure we'll see a different (better) side before long.

I'll take that ... it says "If you collect $5.5M per season you'd better show a little hustle coming back for pucks, or score a bunch to overcome your defensive deficiencies. "

475Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm gonna throw out a cap hit number here. $2.65m

Has a nice ring to it.

With 3 assists and a -18, he’s on pace for his worst season…since…well…ever. I understand that the true value of a guy like Phillips isn’t necessarily in his stats. He does provide some leadership and could certainly be a serviceable shutdown D in the playoffs for a team that needs that. I just don’t think that the reasons FOR outweigh the reasons AGAINST keeping him right now.

He's had a very bad quarter to one-third of a season. He's done better since losing Gonchar as a partner. He will not be expected to score, but if you put him with an offensive defenseman you would expect him to clean up some of the other guy's mistakes, so he can take more chances and provide more scoring.

And, yes, leadership -- he has tons.

476Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'd let him go for a second rounder if we can wik wink, dudge nudge a deal for him to come back. still, i wait till the deadline and see what the best offer is.

477Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:i'd let him go for a second rounder if we can wik wink, dudge nudge a deal for him to come back. still, i wait till the deadline and see what the best offer is.

That's just a waste of a major asset. If Andy Sutton went for a 2nd last year, then clearly Phillips is worth a 1st minimum. Personally, I would take either a 1st or an established prospect like McGinn + 3rd rounder. Ideally it would be Setoguchi straight up.

478Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:i'd let him go for a second rounder if we can wik wink, dudge nudge a deal for him to come back. still, i wait till the deadline and see what the best offer is.

That's just a waste of a major asset. If Andy Sutton went for a 2nd last year, then clearly Phillips is worth a 1st minimum. Personally, I would take either a 1st or an established prospect like McGinn + 3rd rounder. Ideally it would be Setoguchi straight up.

Yeah, if all that we're getting back for Phillips is a second rounder, I'd rather keep him.

479Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SDH89 wrote:
Yeah, if all that we're getting back for Phillips is a second rounder, I'd rather keep him.

I think we keep him anyway, but I agree, if it's only a 2nd coming back, I'm not interested. Keep Phillps and start getting Kuba's name out there ASAP.

Also...cross the fingers that Gonchar's not ruined and can come back strong next year.

480Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SDH89 wrote:

I think we keep him anyway, but I agree, if it's only a 2nd coming back, I'm not interested. Keep Phillps and start getting Kuba's name out there ASAP.

Also...cross the fingers that Gonchar's not ruined and can come back strong next year.

With Montreal losing Markov, maybe even for good at this point, Kuba might end up there?

481Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
SDH89 wrote:

For sure, out of the two, I would keep Phillips over Kuba 10 times out of 10.

Let's hope Garrioch's article is correct, and there actually is some interest in Kuba out there. You keep mentioning San Jose as a destination Spez, I think it would be a good fit too.

I'd love to get a guy like McGinn back for Kuba, but we'd probably just get a pick and maybe a salary dump like Huskins. I'd do it.

482Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SDH89 wrote:

With Montreal losing Markov, maybe even for good at this point, Kuba might end up there?

On top of that, Gorges out for the year too. They will for sure look to add something to the backend. Fingers crossed!

483Ottawa trade rumours - Page 32 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

PK17 + AK47 = Win (for Montreal)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum