GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa trade rumours

+28
dawg's wife
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
garblar
TheAvatar
spader
Hoags
asq2
rooneypoo
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
shabbs
The Silfer Server
Sens4thecup
cash
Ev
wprager
stempniaksen
CockRoche
SDH89
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
PTFlea
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 35]

151Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

I also agree that GOod drafting anywhere in the 1st round and early second can give you nice forwards.
I mean, Philly have built their forward core with mid to late 1st rounders, not top 5 picks.

152Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

marakh wrote:A rock solid mobile defense can make you win games every single night (see Nashville).
A rock solid top line can win you games some nights (see Sens 08-09)
Agreed, and hopefully fans see that Murray is steering us in that direction. But, I'd add that a flashy top line puts butts in the seats, see New Jersey's pre-Kovalchuk history for an opposite example of that. Although, Kovalchuk ain't exactly selling out the place either... so maybe a bad example.

Wink

153Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, what happened there? Hossa high sticked a Predator player badly, they missed the call and he tied it up and won it in OT? Something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNC8-PTTee0

yes, heartbreaker... 5th game, OT, powerplay nashville... then Hossa comes out of the box and scores. They go up 3-2 in the series
And that was probably the closest series the Blackhawks had during that run.

Now, compare the forwards corps of the 2 teams. Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 270956

154Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm

asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Your best bet to get a blue chip forward prospect is to bottom out and win the lottery. Chicago and Pitt are recent examples of that with LA and St. Louis showing amazing progress as well. Combine lottery picks with good scouting in general, smart moves by your GM and you have the recipe for success.

Simple eh?

Wink

Heh heh.

Frig.

Good scouting and smart moves by your GM is the recipe for success. Philly had that one year as a bottom feeder and are now a powerhouse because of moves by Holmgren, not because JvR has lifted them to the top.

Meanwhile, teams like Florida and NYI get high draft picks but continue to suck.

Yep, the acquisituion of the UFA rights to Hartnell and Timonen were a huge part of that turnaround being so quick.

155Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Hoags wrote:I think Cowen is a much more unique commodity.

The Sens will be haunted by letting Chara go for quite some time.

Cowen is the only thing we got hat can even come close to replacing Big Z.

I think we can find a LW elsewhere but I don't think we could find a D-man like Cowen.

We took the best player available.

As much as we need a LW, let's not forget our defence is tissue paper soft with the exception of Carkner.

Is it two ply at least?

156Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:Good scouting and smart moves by your GM is the recipe for success. Philly had that one year as a bottom feeder and are now a powerhouse because of moves by Holmgren, not because JvR has lifted them to the top.

Meanwhile, teams like Florida and NYI get high draft picks but continue to suck.
Hence, why I said all three were needed.

Wink

157Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, what happened there? Hossa high sticked a Predator player badly, they missed the call and he tied it up and won it in OT? Something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNC8-PTTee0

yes, heartbreaker... 5th game, OT, powerplay nashville... then Hossa comes out of the box and scores. They go up 3-2 in the series
And that was probably the closest series the Blackhawks had during that run.

Now, compare the forwards corps of the 2 teams. Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 270956

Laugh1 I remember that, I was flipping between that game and another one, but I definitely remember it.

158Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm thinking about the bieksa rumour. what's he looking to make next year?

159Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:35 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Your best bet to get a blue chip forward prospect is to bottom out and win the lottery. Chicago and Pitt are recent examples of that with LA and St. Louis showing amazing progress as well. Combine lottery picks with good scouting in general, smart moves by your GM and you have the recipe for success.

Simple eh?

Wink

Heh heh.

Frig.

Good scouting and smart moves by your GM is the recipe for success. Philly had that one year as a bottom feeder and are now a powerhouse because of moves by Holmgren, not because JvR has lifted them to the top.

Yep, the acquisituion of the UFA rights to Hartnell and Timonen were a huge part of that turnaround being so quick.

It worked out for them, but crazy risk/reward on acquiring UFA rights.

160Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Hence, why I said all three were needed.

Wink

Eh, I think if you have good scouts and a good GM (and good luck, I guess) you can win a Cup without lottery picks. Philly did draft second over-all in 2007, granted, but JvR's not the reason they made the Finals last season.

161Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

No kidding. I mean look at this:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005316.html

You would think this team should be a perenial contender by now.
10/11 top ten picks since 2000, a grand total of 1 star Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 484884

And the following rounds are even worse. I count maybe 2 or 3 impact players in the later roudns in 10 years Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 489887

162Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:No kidding. I mean look at this:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005316.html

You would think this team should be a perenial contender by now.
10/11 top ten picks since 2000, a grand total of 1 star Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 484884

And the following rounds are even worse. I count maybe 2 or 3 impact players in the later roudns in 10 years Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 489887

That's pretty disgusting. They should lose their "draft card" for one year and give their picks to Detroit.

163Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:

I agree, but Giroux was drafted in the first round.

Also, when you draft thos later guys, you need a ton of luck, obviously.

My bad I meant in the later half of the first round (ie. you don't necessarily need a lottery pick).

Depends on the draft year though.

164Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Speaking of Giroux, any Ottawa trade rumours?

165Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of Giroux, any Ottawa trade rumours?

Several players involved.

Salaries coming and going will match.

Trade won't accomplish anything.

Book it.

166Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Some poster on HFBoards said this (paraphrase)

Spezza, Fisher and Phillips all open for discussion

Foligno being actively shopped

Another poster on those boards said Montreal may have inquired about Kovalev

Goes without saying that you should take these with a huge grain of salt

167Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Fisher and Foligno I can understand.....the rest I don't buy.

Either way none of the big contract men get moved this season I don't think. But....something's gotta give in the scoring department. We're Brutal!

168Ottawa trade rumours - Page 11 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:Some poster on HFBoards said this (paraphrase)

Spezza, Fisher and Phillips all open for discussion

Foligno being actively shopped

Another poster on those boards said Montreal may have inquired about Kovalev

Goes without saying that you should take these with a huge grain of salt

I'm not really opposed to anyone except Spezza - and even then, if the offer is right, then I'm sure it'll be heavily considered. By the price being right, I mean Bogosian, Antropov and Atlanta's 1st. Too much? Bye bye then.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum