GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pre-Season GM#1: OTT @ TOR (9/21/10 @ 7pm ET)

+21
sens4win
Amnesia021
TheAvatar
Devo
Flo The Action
PKC
Hoags
strachattack
Ev
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hobiesens
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
SensGal
SensHulk
LeCaptain
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Riprock
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 17]

strachattack

Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not sure the reasoning for keeping the entire group back from these games, Alfie, Spezza and co. need to see game action, might as well play in one of the games, am I wrong?

Perhaps they think some young Leafers will be taking runs at them in hoping to stand out for a permanent roster spot? Alfie also said that he thinks playing so many pre-season games is too much. Consdering the need for a quick start out of the gate to get crucial points to earn a playoff spot why risk injuring any of your top players for an exhibition game? It's only two games so it will provide some youngsters some playing time to assess where they're at.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

That's true I can imagine some of the guys trying to get onto Ron and Brian's Goon Squad taking a run at Alfie etc.

I'm all for letting our prospects play so we can see who's who.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not sure the reasoning for keeping the entire group back from these games, Alfie, Spezza and co. need to see game action, might as well play in one of the games, am I wrong?

Considering they need to make cuts, I think they want as much opportunity to see the tryouts as possible. Not that I agree with it...schedule is weird where its always a set of two games so playing back to back isn't a good idea, but the regulars better be ready to go come opening night. None of that 'oh its the start of the season, still getting our legs underneath us' bull crap

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Don't quote me, but viewers in Ottawa should be able to see the game. Normally Sens games on SNET are blacked out outside of Sens region. But since it is Ottawa and Toronto, the game should be viewable to all on SNET-O. It is probably just so Rogers can broadcast bot the hockey and baseball games.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

They have a preseason slate of 4 back-to-backs, that's a lot of preseason games. There's gonna be a lot of time in the last 4 games for the regulars to play. I think it's a great idea to see how the rookies and youngsters handle playing big minutes against NHL-calibre prospects, not the grab bag of prospects you find in the rookie tournaments.

I suspect Clouston and Murray will be auditioning a couple of guys for certain positions. And what better way to see how they can produce than without the elite players on the team.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Fair enough, I had also thought of the vicious fight coming for the younger guys. I guess if they impress, they'll get a shot with Spezza, Alfie and co. for the 2nd round of cuts.

I also agree with Strach, but didn't want to write it. The Leafs are all atwitter to show people they're the new Bay Street Bullies, so they'll be hyped up to hurt guys.

Hopefully guys like Tim Spenser (can't recall if he's going) and Lessard etc. are going.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Bass, Lessard and Spencer are on the roster.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Bass, Lessard and Spencer are on the roster.

Yeah, I just noticed that at the top. Do you know if they're playing in TO?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Nice, I have TSN and TSN2, all the Sportsnet (Except SN One) and also RDS. So I should be able to see the first 3 games.
Good to see living in Quebec has some advantage once in a while.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was looking for liens from practice, as I assume they will have two teams that will alternate, right? I didn't find anything.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

does anyone have a link to a stream site for the first 2 games?(i'll be at the 3rd one in montreal Ahhhhh! )

They probably figured that there are enough Leaf goons like Liambas, Rosehill, Kadri, etc that will do anything to stick with the team ie: hit and try to break anything in sight. Why risk an injury to a top player when there are 20 other forwards that need to prove their worth before cuts on Friday. This is a good test for our goons to and a good test for our tier-two skill guys like Butler, Foligno, Hoffman, Wick, Regin, etc to run a powerplay, and play top-line minutes.

I think this is a great coaching decision. We take one of two of these games with our top-paid guys out of the lineup and the Leafs mentally are hurting the rest of the season.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Game time tonight!!! Pre-Season GM#1: OTT @ TOR (9/21/10 @ 7pm ET) - Page 3 805406

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Is Kovalev making the trip?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SNET-O What channel is this? Can we get it in Ottawa? Anyone know? The game is on this channel tonight apparently.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

David Hale has a little something on the rookies with whom he’s battling for a suddenly available defenceman’s job in Ottawa.
It’s called 302 games of NHL experience.

All things equal in performance, the Senators would likely keep Hale over top prospects like Patrick Wiercioch and Jared Cowen among the seven blueliners they take into the regular season next month. They signed the 29-year-old Hale to a two-way contract in the summer just in case of an injury like the broken leg that will keep Filip Kuba out of action until November.

“It’s extremely exciting,” Hale said of making his Senators debut Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre. “I know there’s an opportunity there. I just need to go out and showcase my skills.”

Hale, a Colorado Springs, Colo., native who was selected by the Devils in the first round (22nd overall) of the 2000 draft, is with his fifth NHL organization. Along with 141 games for the Devils over three seasons, he has also suited up for Calgary, Phoenix and Tampa Bay.

He spent last season with the Lightning, but was limited to just 39 games due, ironically enough, to a broken leg. This summer he signed with the Senators instead of accepting a two-way deal from the Predators.

“There’s a lot of guys without jobs right now and it was hard to find a contract,” Hale said. “I think I was lucky to sign with this organization. I felt like it was a good opportunity for me, as far as their winning record and how they develop in Binghamton.

“I think teams now are looking toward younger players a little bit more, so I certainly had to come with the mindset of winning a position. It’s definitely not (a given) for me. So we’ll see what happens.”

Hale, who spent the early part of his career bouncing between New Jersey and its farm team, has never quite established himself as a full-time NHL regular, nor lived up to his first-round billing. Why?

“Maybe it’s a bit of inconsist play, and just some unfortunate events, whether it’s out of my control or not. Can’t really pinpoint that,” he said. “I’m not going to dwell on that, either. This year is a new year and hopefully I can turn it around and have a great year.”

ICE CHIPS
Brian Elliott, Robin Lehner and Mike Brodeur are the goalies making the trip, and while coach Cory Clouston wouldn’t say which of them is starting Tuesday, he stated that two of them would get a half game in Toronto and the other would get two halves. “Pascal (Leclaire) and Brian will at least get two full games,” Clouston said of his top two stoppers. “As it stands, they’ll get at least another half game as well.” ... Leclaire is keeping mum about his goals this season. “If the team does good, everybody looks good,” he said. “Just be part of it. Try to play as many minutes as possible. If you can get on a role, we’ll see what happens. I don’t want to say any numbers. I have my little ideas in mind, but I’m not telling you guys.” ... Daniel Alfredsson was skipping around defenders during one shift at Monday’s scrimmage. Almost looked like he was 25 years old again. “Especially having the surgery after the season, you want to push yourself, see how you can handle harder workouts, longer skates,” Alfredsson, who had a sports hernia fixed up in May, said of his approach to camp. “You don’t want to wait until the exhibition season starts or the season starts. You want to try it right away.” Things are different than when he was actually was a 25-year-old, Alfredsson pointed out. “I think I dreaded training camp more in the past when it was longer because coaches had more time to really bag skate you,” he said.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Leafs will dress Dion Phaneuf, Colby Armstrong, and Tomas Kaberle among their vets for tonight's game against the Senators.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

SensGirl11 wrote:SNET-O What channel is this? Can we get it in Ottawa? Anyone know? The game is on this channel tonight apparently.

On Bell Expressvu it's channel 405. Yes we get it in Ottawa, but according to the Sportsnet Press release it's blacked out in Ottawa. The only reason for that would be that the Senators Brass didn't fill out the required paperwork to allow the game to be televised on SNET-O in Ottawa.

By Defeault all NHL games broadcast on any SNET other than SNET-E or the new SNET-one are blacked out. I don't know that anyone really knows, other than that's the way the system is set up and due to run from now until the end of time, unless an exception is made.

I don't know that it won't be broadcast, but looking at the press release it doesn't appear to be on line.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum