GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Final answer: Do the Sens make another move?

+10
sens4win
Amnesia021
Ev
shabbs
Riprock
Flo The Action
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Final Answer: Do the Sens make another move?

Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 Vote_lcap238%Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 3 ]
Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 Vote_lcap262%Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 62% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
This is what I think of the Leclaire situation;

He was brought in to take the number 1 job from Elliott because Elliott wasn't quite ready to be the number 1 guy yet. He comes in, plays some games for us and gets hurt for a long time, Elliott takes over and does a great job. Then Leclaire comes back, doesn't get his job back, doesn't play too much and then gets hurt again. Brodeur comes up and steals the show while Elliott struggles and we then go on a mad winning streak. Elliott gets his chance during that winning streak to get his mojo back and does. Leclaire comes back and is delegated to backup duties for good. Never really gets a chance to show what he's made of. We got into the playoffs, Elliott is okay but nowhere near what we need to win. Leclaire comes in to take over cleanup duties and does a freaking phenomenal job. He was unbelievable. 2 games we saw of him in the playoffs, 2 games where he played unbelievably well, the 2nd game we didn't win obviously but he showed us what he can do in pressure situations. It wasn't enough for us to win the series, but maybe if he was in from the beginnign it woudl have been a different story, and I'm not saying this to take anything away from Elliott at all, I just think that Leclaire showed some of what he can do when it matters most.

I have no idea what kind of goalie Leclaire is at all, he's stalled in his development because of the injuries he has sustained. The problem for him this year is that it's his last year on a contract. There are a million goalies out there that are as good as him (from what we've seen of him) and young goalies coming up through the ranks. If Leclaire doesn't play balls to the wall awesome this year, he could very well find himself out of the NHL before he hits 30. He HAS to be good, really good, there's no choice in the matter for him at all. This is it for him, this is his year, if he blows it, I don't know if he'll ever find a job anywhere, if he does it'll be for league minimum as a backup. That's quite the fall from grace for him if that happens. Having said that, I truly believe he's going to have a great season, but he HAS to stay healthy, he has no choice, if he lets up for 1 minute Elliott will take over and that'll be that for Leclaire. If Leclaire plays to the best of his abilities, he could be the difference between us getting deep in the playoffs or flaming out. I think we're going to have the most fun season we've had since our run to the Final.

Wow...that was long. I hope I made sense there. Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 159628

Makes perfect sense, this post echoes the majority of people's opinions.

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

He was brought in to take the number 1 job from Elliott because Elliott wasn't quite ready to be the number 1 guy yet. He comes in, plays some games for us and gets hurt for a long time, Elliott takes over and does a great job. Then Leclaire comes back, doesn't get his job back, doesn't play too much and then gets hurt again. Brodeur comes up and steals the show while Elliott struggles and we then go on a mad winning streak. Elliott gets his chance during that winning streak to get his mojo back and does. Leclaire comes back and is delegated to backup duties for good. Never really gets a chance to show what he's made of. We got into the playoffs, Elliott is okay but nowhere near what we need to win. Leclaire comes in to take over cleanup duties and does a freaking phenomenal job. He was unbelievable. 2 games we saw of him in the playoffs, 2 games where he played unbelievably well, the 2nd game we didn't win obviously but he showed us what he can do in pressure situations. It wasn't enough for us to win the series, but maybe if he was in from the beginnign it woudl have been a different story, and I'm not saying this to take anything away from Elliott at all, I just think that Leclaire showed some of what he can do when it matters most.

I have no idea what kind of goalie Leclaire is at all, he's stalled in his development because of the injuries he has sustained. The problem for him this year is that it's his last year on a contract. There are a million goalies out there that are as good as him (from what we've seen of him) and young goalies coming up through the ranks. If Leclaire doesn't play balls to the wall awesome this year, he could very well find himself out of the NHL before he hits 30. He HAS to be good, really good, there's no choice in the matter for him at all. This is it for him, this is his year, if he blows it, I don't know if he'll ever find a job anywhere, if he does it'll be for league minimum as a backup. That's quite the fall from grace for him if that happens. Having said that, I truly believe he's going to have a great season, but he HAS to stay healthy, he has no choice, if he lets up for 1 minute Elliott will take over and that'll be that for Leclaire. If Leclaire plays to the best of his abilities, he could be the difference between us getting deep in the playoffs or flaming out. I think we're going to have the most fun season we've had since our run to the Final.

Wow...that was long. I hope I made sense there. Final answer: Do the Sens make another move? - Page 4 159628

Makes perfect sense, this post echoes the majority of people's opinions.

That was an excellent post SG11!

But I would like to add just one thing. Elliott didn't play very well during the first injury to Leclaire. He played adequately, and well enough. It was only when Eli Wilson was fired that Elliott started playing amazingly well going (if my counting is correct) 19-7-1. Needless to say, he was playing his best when Wilson was let go.

Leclaire never really got that same opportunity to play without the coaching of Eli Wilson. He did play spot duty playing about 6 games here and there, but never really a consistent opportunity.

This doesn't guarantee anything, nor does it change anything you said. I just wanted to remind everyone and add it to the discussion.

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'll go on record as saying that I *think* with the right circumstances, Leclaire can be a guy who can have a nice season - but it's hardly a slam dunk for us. That's it, that's all.

Nice post, so I kind of feel bad for only bolding one small part of it, but my time is short today.

I think that is exactly what you will see in Leclaire's case. As I posted earlier, the average retirement age of NHLers is 28 years old, Leclaire will be slightly older, say 29 or 30 in my opinion.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not to discount what SensGirl11 said, but ...

Leclaire played in 3 playoff games. He came on in relief of Elliott in game 4 and gave up 3 goals on 23 shots (.870 SV%). In game 6 he gave up 4 goals on 43 shots (.907 SV%). He had a fantastic game 5 where he stole a win, allowing only 3 goals on 59 shots (.949 SV%).

Let's now look at the games Elliott played. He won game 1 even though his SV% wasn't great. It was a win, so Leclaire could not have done any better. In game 2 Elliott was fantastic, stopping 29 of 31 shots (.935 SV%) but still lost 2-1. Leclaire would have had to get a shutout to do any better. I don't think we win that game with Leclaire in goal. In game 3 Elliott started to fal apart, giving up 4 goals on only 24 shots (.833 SV%) in a 4-2 loss. If Leclaire had played, he would have had to stop 23 of 24 shots (.958 SV% to win) -- again, I don't think Leclaire would have won us that game, either. The last game to look at is G4 where Leclaire came on in relief. His .870 SV% in that game is nothing to write home about, but he was coming in cold and the Pens were hot. If he had started that game, who knows, but since we only score 4, he would have had to allow only 3 goals on the 42 shots taken by the Pens, or a .929 SV%. Would we have won that game if he had started? Who knows, but he would have had to play better than he did in game 6.

So, basically, it is a little simplistic to say that Eliott lost us that series, and even less correct to think that, if Leclaire had been playing, we would have advanced.

Sophomore
Sophomore

leclaire is a likeable guy and with all the drama we have had with goalies over the years his calm demeanour and solid work ethic is refreshing. All that said, he has proven exactly nothing as a sen. We don't know if he is is a number one goalie on our team, or would be on any team for that matter. We all keep waiting for this moment where he goes on a run and puts the questions behind him but it just hasn't happened and time keeps ticking by. Lets say he has a good to average season for us this year-35 wins 20 losses. What do you do with him next year with elliot, brodeur and lehrner in the wings? Is he worth 3.5 million as an UFA next year?

Sophomore
Sophomore

Phillips Contract Extension Under Way
as per the SUN

Chris Phillips has watched fellow blueliners leave Ottawa, one by one.
But the career Senator has no intention of following them out when his contract expires after this season.
First, it was Zdeno Chara to the Bruins in 2006. Then, Wade Redden signed with the Rangers in 2008. This summer, it was partner Anton Volchenkov, who left for greener pastures with the Devils.
Through it all, the dependable Phillips has always been the one to stay behind and keep up the hard work. He can’t picture himself playing in another uniform, but next July, it could be his turn at unrestricted free agency.
That’s why talks are already under way to ensure the 32-year-old — who will make $3.5 million this season — doesn’t test the market.
“It’s definitely tough to imagine having to putting on another jersey,” said Phillips, who was on the ice at the Bell Sensplex Wednesday with youngsters participating in the club’s summer hockey camp.
“If I’m forced to do that, then that’s going to be the case ... If I can make (staying in Ottawa) happen, then that would be my first choice.”
Phillips, the top pick in the 1996 draft, has established himself as one of the best defensive blueliners in the league during his 12 seasons with the Senators.
He admitted that watching some close friends walk away through the years hasn’t been easy.
“It’s definitely hard,” said Phillips. “You grow with these guys on and off the ice. But you also enter it knowing that it’s usually a matter of time (before they leave). Some guys, not long. Other guys, you play with a long time.
“Since I’ve started, I’ve only played with one guy (throughout, captain Daniel Alfredsson). Everybody else has moved on and different guys have come in.”
Phillips wasn’t shocked to see Volchenkov leave, but it was a blow.
“It’s tough to lose Volchie for our team and personally because I played with him for a long time, but that’s the nature of the game,” said Phillips. “It’s going to happen with most guys. You move on.”
Phillips isn’t sure how his role will change with Volchenkov’s departure. The arrival of veteran Sergei Gonchar from the Penguins means a shift in the way the defence plays next season. The club wants offence.
“He brings a lot of elements to our team with the offence and the experience winning Cups,” said Phillips.
That doesn’t mean Phillips will suddenly start taking chances to rush the puck.
“It’s going to be interesting to see what happens,” said Phillips. “I don’t know if it’s going to be a little bit more of ‘roll the lines.’ I have to focus (on the shutdown) part of the game. That’s who I am: I have to be really reliable defensively.
“Whether that’s shutting a guy down, penalty killing or holding onto leads at the end of the game. If you can chip in offensively or have those opportunities, that’s a bonus. (But) I have to make the focus of my game primarily defensively-minded.”

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:leclaire is a likeable guy and with all the drama we have had with goalies over the years his calm demeanour and solid work ethic is refreshing. All that said, he has proven exactly nothing as a sen. We don't know if he is is a number one goalie on our team, or would be on any team for that matter. We all keep waiting for this moment where he goes on a run and puts the questions behind him but it just hasn't happened and time keeps ticking by. Lets say he has a good to average season for us this year-35 wins 20 losses. What do you do with him next year with elliot, brodeur and lehrner in the wings? Is he worth 3.5 million as an UFA next year?

35 wins and 20 losses isn't too bad...maybe not 3.5 million good, but that's a solid showing that would net him a 3 X 3 I would think.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'll go on record as saying that I *think* with the right circumstances, Leclaire can be a guy who can have a nice season - but it's hardly a slam dunk for us. That's it, that's all.

i agree with you 100%. good take. especially about how this has the potential to be the best season since our cup run. if leclaire is hot and we stay somewhat healthy we could turn alot of heads and go deep in the playoffs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
111519 wrote:leclaire is a likeable guy and with all the drama we have had with goalies over the years his calm demeanour and solid work ethic is refreshing. All that said, he has proven exactly nothing as a sen. We don't know if he is is a number one goalie on our team, or would be on any team for that matter. We all keep waiting for this moment where he goes on a run and puts the questions behind him but it just hasn't happened and time keeps ticking by. Lets say he has a good to average season for us this year-35 wins 20 losses. What do you do with him next year with elliot, brodeur and lehrner in the wings? Is he worth 3.5 million as an UFA next year?

35 wins and 20 losses isn't too bad...maybe not 3.5 million good, but that's a solid showing that would net him a 3 X 3 I would think.
i could live with that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Garrioch tweets that SNet is looking to replace Galley as the colour analyst on Sens games. I think I'm OK with that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Garrioch tweets that SNet is looking to replace Galley as the colour analyst on Sens games. I think I'm OK with that.

Ah, he wasn't pushed -- he jumped. I never thought he was all that great as a color analyst. He's an ex-NHLer and an Ottawa native, but other than that, what did he bring to the table? Of course, who knows what his replacement will be like.

Anyhow, he's heading over to HNIC full-time:
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/08/13/15021396.html

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:Garrioch tweets that SNet is looking to replace Galley as the colour analyst on Sens games. I think I'm OK with that.

Ah, he wasn't pushed -- he jumped. I never thought he was all that great as a color analyst. He's an ex-NHLer and an Ottawa native, but other than that, what did he bring to the table? Of course, who knows what his replacement will be like.

Anyhow, he's heading over to HNIC full-time:
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/08/13/15021396.html

I really didn't like him, so for me, this is good news. He tended to always say the same thing from one game to the next, and his insights weren't ever very insightful. No matter who comes in I'm sure there will still be a level of repetition, just can't be as bad.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ugh I wanted a broadcasting change but it's the wrong guy that's leaving!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What if the hire ... (gulp ... Pierre McGuire away from TSN???!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum