GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rick Wamsley hired as Senators' goaltending coach

+10
jawal
M_Christopher
Riprock
TheAvatar
Ev
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
strachattack
SensHulk
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

NHL_Sens #Sens GM Bryan Murray comments on Wamsley and provides an update on Campoli, Regin and the B-Sens coaching search: http://bit.ly/drejni

BM sounds out of breathe

strachattack

Rookie
Rookie

Dash wrote:When it mattered most, i.e. the playoffs, he came through.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he will have a career year.

I have to agree with Dash. We have to give him more than one year to properly judge him. Murray traded for him because he believes in him. I'm sure the organization wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel on the guy over one mediocre/bad season. I believe they're planning on him finishing his contract as the number one goalie. In fact, I think if he plays as well as they expect or hope it wouldn't be outlandish to think they offer him an extension - if the price is right of course. Lehner is the future but he's still only 19.

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:I don't think Murray would waive Leclaire. It's not like he was a throw in with the Vermette deal (which would then be for a 2nd rnd pick, which while it turned out to be Lehner, at the time there was no way of knowing what it turned out to be).

Leclaire's had his rough periods, and the injuries, a couple being fluke injuries, which he can hardly be faulted for. Bad luck is all.

No, no, not waive, I didn't mean that. I meant that I think Elliott's good enough to be backed up by a vet. and Leclaire could have been traded.

But then, I have to take a step back from time to time and re-affirm my faith in Leclaire, Murray and Clouston (etc.). They know what's right.

It's not re-affirm as much as affirm; based upon your previous posts ...

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

strachattack wrote:
Dash wrote:When it mattered most, i.e. the playoffs, he came through.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he will have a career year.

I have to agree with Dash. We have to give him more than one year to properly judge him. Murray traded for him because he believes in him. I'm sure the organization wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel on the guy over one mediocre/bad season. I believe they're planning on him finishing his contract as the number one goalie. In fact, I think if he plays as well as they expect or hope it wouldn't be outlandish to think they offer him an extension - if the price is right of course. Lehner is the future but he's still only 19.

I agree with you and I think the consensus was (well, maybe it was just majority) that Lehner is still 3 or 4 years away from being an NHL goalie. I think we all agree that it could be catastrophic to rush him so yeah, there might be enough time there for a Leclaire extension ...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:

I guess...

I was really critical of the trade when it was just a rumour (forgetting that we got Lehner as well, because that was a pick), then I tried to get behind it, but then Leclaire was so up and down - even when he was healthy - that the knee-jerk reaction right now is to think 'fail'.

I can see what you're saying, I need to get behind our guy, but at the same time we've had so much heartache with goalies, it's not that easy for me.

Still, I'd MUCH rather you be right about this. I'll gladly eat crow.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote: NHL_Sens #Sens GM Bryan Murray comments on Wamsley and provides an update on Campoli, Regin and the B-Sens coaching search: http://bit.ly/drejni

BM sounds out of breathe

My gawd that's right; now I'm scared.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Based on Leclaire's performance during the playoffs, I would more excitied to see Leclaire get more chances before handing Elliott anything.

Elliott has been good for us and has bailed us out but when it comes to pedigree and potential, I still believe Leclaire has an untapped amount.

He has been injury-struck for awhile but, like the 08/09 commercials said "...is this the year?"

Lets hope so.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

TheAvatar wrote:
Dash wrote: NHL_Sens #Sens GM Bryan Murray comments on Wamsley and provides an update on Campoli, Regin and the B-Sens coaching search: http://bit.ly/drejni

BM sounds out of breathe

My gawd that's right; now I'm scared.

I agree. He does sound out of breathe. Maybe he was riding the stationary bike when they conducted the interview.j/k

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

LOL Wink Good one !

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If anyone can get me excited about Leclaire, it's this goalie coach. He sounds like he's about to push Leclaire to the extremes to get into top condition.

SpezDispenser wrote:If anyone can get me excited about Leclaire, it's this goalie coach. He sounds like he's about to push Leclaire to the extremes to get into top condition.

Wamsley wasn't the goaltending coach the year Leclaire had that breakout season. He was there in Leclaire's first year though. According to hockeydb.com anyway.

Still, the guy's been around, and he's won a Cup (as a backup) and a Jennings trophy. Hopefully, he'll be able to get both of our goalies to be a little more consistent.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some more coverage:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Senators+hire+Leclaire+former+goaltending+coach/3332737/story.html

Pascal seems very supportive of this... a good thing for sure.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

I guess...

I was really critical of the trade when it was just a rumour (forgetting that we got Lehner as well, because that was a pick), then I tried to get behind it, but then Leclaire was so up and down - even when he was healthy - that the knee-jerk reaction right now is to think 'fail'.

I can see what you're saying, I need to get behind our guy, but at the same time we've had so much heartache with goalies, it's not that easy for me.

Still, I'd MUCH rather you be right about this. I'll gladly eat crow.

You know what? I can really respect that kind of attitude. Good on ya. Let's all hope that Leclaire can be the goalie we think (or hope) he can be Smile

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Slightly off-topic, but goalie Jack Campbell is now on Twitter and I guess someone asked him who his mentors are and he said "my mentor's are Brian Elliot and Marty Turco there both awesome guys and I have learned a lot from both of them."

That's pretty neat to know.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Elliott and Campbell share the same goaltending coach, Mike Valley.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well there you go, I did not know that. +1 lol

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I didn't know that before either, until I saw it on GoalieGuild about a week ago. Apparently he used to work with Ottawa goaltenders as a whole as well.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:[1]He sounds like he's about to push Leclaire to the extremes to get into top condition.

[2]If anyone can get me excited about Leclaire, it's this goalie coach.
I'm not sure if we have read the same articles or not, maybe, but I am a little taken a back by some of the comments by Wamsley.

Wamsley is a great coach, his resume speaks for itself and I know he has a great mind for the game and more, the goaltenders position.

[1]From what I gather, Wamsley was the goaltending coach for Columbus in 2001 when Leclaire was drafted 8th overall by the Blue Jackets. Upon first meeting between the twoin 2001, Wamsley ordered a strict physical and meal plan regimen for Pascal. Leclaire was and still is a bean-pole to this very day. He is a soft body with very little muscle tone. It's fine to be small (eg. Ryan Miller), but muscle fibres and strength would be assets (eg. Ryan Miller). Sure he has got himself is better condition over the years, but I'm not sold on Leclaire being a health-nut yet and until I see an improvement in that area, I won't be. Yes, goalies are different (eg. Brodeur) they don't need the same body type as skaters, but I think we can all agree, Leclaire is in poor shape as per NHL goalie standards.

I agree with you on this one SpezDispenser, I can see Wamsley coming in and mandating a better overall fitness regimen.

But as for point #2:
[2]Wamsley said of Leclaire that he needs, "constant reminders on how to be a goalie." Are you serious? I would and do take huge offense to that. If I was Leclaire, I would be steaming mad. First of all, constant reminders? What am I, a child? Second of all, I am a goalie already and I get paid very well to do just that.

I'm not saying Leclaire is thinking these things, I am just saying I would be if I was him.

Now do I agree with Wamsley's sound bites, yes. In my opinion, he is right on the ball his analysis and quotes about Leclaire; I just don't think he should have said them.

Leclaire is a goalie that relies solely on reflexes and fast movements to make saves, he really isn't that positionally sound. We all know that. From what I have read in this thread SpezD, you aren't his biggest fan. I'm not either. The reason he gets hurt all the time is rounding into form with my post. He doesn't take care of himself physically and he puts himself in risky positions on the ice that can lead to his body "of glass (you said)" to breaking down.

You said Wamsley can get you excited about Leclaire, I see the exact opposite which is the reason for this whole convoluted post by me. I see the exact opposite, I see a goalie coach that has verbalized that he has his hands full with Leclaire.

Hope this makes sense and I hope I have read Wamsley all wrong to be honest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum