GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Skydiver aims to go super sonic

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2010/07/17/14745156.html

There is so little air at that height that Baumgartner — one of the world's most capable skydivers — will have almost no initial control over his descent and will be plummeting in a gravity-induced free fall that is expected to reach the speed of sound — about 1,110 km/h at that altitude — within 30 seconds.

No human being has ever survived falling through the sound barrier so no one knows if Baumgartner will even be alive then, or what forces will affect his body and his fall when he does hit that turbulent barrier.

At that point, Baumgartner — or his dead body — will still be free falling about 24 km above the earth with another five minutes of free fall still to go.

The air will gradually become thicker, the Red Bull Stratos team says, and Baumgartner's speed of descent will decrease and he'll gain more control over his body's plummet. However, the team also warns that if Baumgartner has gone into an uncontrolled spin at a higher altitude, the spin will be accelerated and the skydiver will not be able to control his descent.

Oh, man, I just watched a documentary earlier about the guy who strapped a pair of wings and a jet engine on and flew across the Channel. But this guy is nuttier.

2Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Nutty? Nah. It's trailblazers like this that advance humankind. Without people like this we wouldn't have airplanes, or have summited Everest etc.

Hats off to this guy. I hope he makes it.

3Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:Nutty? Nah. It's trailblazers like this that advance humankind. Without people like this we wouldn't have airplanes, or have summited Everest etc.

Hats off to this guy. I hope he makes it.

Fair enough. Except this is being sponsored by Red Bull, so I'm not sure what advancements we're getting out of this. Was it "Do the Dew" that brought us skydiving skateboarding? What they did there was apply the laws of aerodynamics to create a crazy X-treme recreation. I don't think they made any advances in aerodynamics, but they did push a few cases of a Mountain Dew. Admittedly, this case is very different, but some of the things they aim to find out is can a human survive a sonic boom -- those kinds of discoveries are typically made through accidents, not deliberate attempts.

I'm just a little skeptical is all. But I'll definitely watch it on Discovery when it makes it to the little screen. Smile

4Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:23 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

5Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:

Wow, that guy went up almost as high 40 years ago.

Anyhow, this guy's going higher by 5+km. Yes, at the end of the day, this guy may kill himself for a pissing contests.

6Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:14 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:

Anyhow, this guy's going higher by 5+km. Yes, at the end of the day, this guy may kill himself for a pissing contests.

Yes, 40 years ago, the test had a purpose based on understanding the dynamics of space travel and its impact on humans. This attempt is purely for show. I doubt they'll gather any scientific information that they don't have already.

7Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:53 pm

PKC wrote:
wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:

Yes, 40 years ago, the test had a purpose based on understanding the dynamics of space travel and its impact on humans. This attempt is purely for show. I doubt they'll gather any scientific information that they don't have already.

No, they probably won't gather any information other than if the suit he's wearing works or not. Skydiver aims to go super sonic 270956

My original comment was meant more to be in the support of the spirit of doing things like this. Not necessarily this particular event in itself, which you are right, is a real showpiece for Red Bull. I meant that if people weren't willing to risk themselves like this, certain things might never be accomplished (or at least would be delayed).

8Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 pm

wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:

Well, I think more than breaking the height record the key in this attempt is to break the sound barrier, which that last attempt did not do. That's somewhat significant in that no human has travelled through the sound barrier, unless they are in some sort of craft. This will certainly give scientists an idea of what happens to a (mostly) unprotected human as they pass through the barrier.

9Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Boom!

"What'd you say?"

"Huh? I didn't say anything ... yet."

10Skydiver aims to go super sonic Empty Re: Skydiver aims to go super sonic Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's off:

"For years, an Austrian daredevil named Felix Baumgartner has been planning to take a 23-mile plunge from the edge of space — and in the process, become the first parachutist to break the sound barrier, plummeting toward the ground at 760 miles per hour. The engineers and scientists behind The Red Bull Stratos project, an effort to break the record for the highest freefall ever, billed the jump as more than a stunt. The leap from 120,000 feet was to yield volumes of data that would have been used to develop advanced life support systems for future pilots, astronauts, and even space tourists. But a promoter feels that the jump was his idea, and filed a lawsuit in April to prevent the event from taking place. And now Red Bull has pulled the plug on the project, FoxNews.com reports. 'Due to the lawsuit, we have decided to stop the project until this case has been resolved,' Red Bull said."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum