GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rights to Hamhuis re-traded - this time to Pittsburgh

+6
rooneypoo
beerandsens
asq2
SensHulk
Riprock
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:5, 6 guys are a dime a dozen and even then they have a bunch of 5, 6 D men coming through the system as well.

Karlsson, Phillips, Kuba, Campoli, Carkner are locks. Hopefully we sign one of Sutton or Michalek too. Lee, currently, is the #7 defenceman.

I guess we have to figure out whether the team believes D. Smith can fill that role. And who becomes the 8th guy? Craig Schira? Or do you let Wiercioch have a few games? Is Gryba going to Bingo?

This is an issue for one more season because we're going to have a tonne of young defencemen challenging for spots in 2010-2011. But it still is something of an issue given our limited cap-space/desire to re-sign Cullen.

Hopefully a 3rd or 4th and Volchenkov's rights are enough to move up and grab a forward, but I'd move Lee depending on who's available. Like I said before, there's still a lot of forward talent to be picked.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PLEASE don't let us give up on Michalek for any reason. Stay the course! Ahhhhh!

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

From Twitter:
Forechecker I've confirmed with the Preds that because Philly traded Hamhuis, Nashville gets to keep their conditional draft pick. Parent's a freebie!

I don't care if Parent wasn't doing anything for Philly to date, that is a bad trade. Good for Nashville.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:mah he must really want a butt load of money. Vochenkov money Rights to Hamhuis re-traded - this time to Pittsburgh - Page 2 159628

As it turns out, A-Train got $4.25M, and Hamhuis $4.5M.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:mah he must really want a butt load of money. Vochenkov money Rights to Hamhuis re-traded - this time to Pittsburgh - Page 2 159628

As it turns out, A-Train got $4.25M, and Hamhuis $4.5M.

Same term too. I'm curious to see if Hamhuis was ever an option for Ottawa, but I'm guessing Murray never wanted to venture into 5+ year territory.

Murray's a good GM and really offered Volchenkov the perfect home town contract offer at 5 years and $4M cap hit. I'm sure Volchenkov would have jumped at that had he known that the market wouldn't be as high as he thought. Still, he got a good contract, and that too with a team that's going to love his style.

The Devils being a good team? Really? They are ooook. Brodeur is another year older, they didnt resign Kovulchuk, they lost Martin (way better D man then A Train) and they lost a lot of pieces in that Kovalchuk deal. NJ is not a better team today then they were yesterday.

Add in the fact they have a rookie coach... they will prob make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round again.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I never said the Devils were a good team. I just said that he's a good fit for their style of game which hasn't changed in more than a decade. And yeah Brodeur is getting older too, but Volchenkov will block a ton for him since that's their game anyways. He's pretty much gone to a place where he can't fail (volchenkov that is). Doesn't mean the Devils win the cup or anything.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:I never said the Devils were a good team. I just said that he's a good fit for their style of game which hasn't changed in more than a decade. And yeah Brodeur is getting older too, but Volchenkov will block a ton for him since that's their game anyways. He's pretty much gone to a place where he can't fail (volchenkov that is). Doesn't mean the Devils win the cup or anything.

For sure, it was the perfect place for Volchenkov to end up. I wish him the best there, things should work out fine for him and he'll have a new best friend in Brodeur.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I do have a question though...who will be Volchenkov's partner in Jersey? I thought Martin would've been the perfect transition for him from Phillips and he would've have settled in nicely...but now Martin is gone. I couldn't even name you their other defensemen now..

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:I do have a question though...who will be Volchenkov's partner in Jersey? I thought Martin would've been the perfect transition for him from Phillips and he would've have settled in nicely...but now Martin is gone. I couldn't even name you their other defensemen now..
Tallinder or White would be my guess...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum