GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shocked?

+3
Ev
SDH89
varlamov40
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shocked? Empty Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 pm

varlamov40

varlamov40
Prospect
Prospect

Montreal knocked off Pittsburgh and Washington....
Strange thing is they are down 2-0 in their series with the Flyers

2Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Caught lightning in a bottle. Halak isnt God (I would have believed it if they said he was in the 1st, 2 rounds) and Martin's teams get pushed over by those who are physical.

Still cant believe they got by the Caps and Pens but w/e, all they get now is a crappy draft pick.

3Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Oh man, this is amazing.

4Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Carolina Hurricanes circa 2009 all over again!

5Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Montreal's playing like an 8th seed, the Flyers are in the groove. Better win one at home.

6Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

The biggest difference: Philly's top 4 defense.
You can't play the trap against PRonger and COburn. I could count the number of breakaways Montreal had in this series with one hand.
You can frustrate Malkin and Crosby, you can frustrate Ovechkin and Semin, but you can't frustrate Breire, Richareds, Hartnell, Gagne, Leino, Giroux...They're victims of their own game.

7Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

I don't think its all that shocking.

Habs have a great defense, but not AS much offense. And Habs have also played teams that have had a weak defense and poor goaltending.

The flyers have the heart, are very physical, Leighton has played well, they have the defence and the offence (it may not be a superstar offence but its good. Gagne, Richards and what not. With Van Rymsdyk playing well too).

Essentially the Flyers and Habs have both been the two teams not expeceted to make it out of first round. Both are here, and both have heart. Habs have just not faced a team that was able to shut down their offence. While the goaltending for the habs have not been great, it doesn't really even matter. Whether its 6-0 or 1-0 its still a loss. If their offence cannot score, they won't ever win no matter how good Habs goaltending is.

8Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGal wrote:I don't think its all that shocking.

Habs have a great defense, but not AS much offense. And Habs have also played teams that have had a weak defense and poor goaltending.

The flyers have the heart, are very physical, Leighton has played well, they have the defence and the offence (it may not be a superstar offence but its good. Gagne, Richards and what not. With Van Rymsdyk playing well too).

Essentially the Flyers and Habs have both been the two teams not expeceted to make it out of first round. Both are here, and both have heart. Habs have just not faced a team that was able to shut down their offence. While the goaltending for the habs have not been great, it doesn't really even matter. Whether its 6-0 or 1-0 its still a loss. If their offence cannot score, they won't ever win no matter how good Habs goaltending is.

Yeah pretty much. Add Pronger to that list and to a lesser extent Timonen and Coburn and even Matt Carle. I've been impressed with Matt Carle which surprises me, I thought he was quite mediocre leading into this playoff.

9Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 pm

It's not surprising at all. Philly's defence is much bigger and nastier than either Washington or Pittsburgh. They've kept the Habs to the perimeter and the Hab's Keebler Elves cannot get into the prime scoring areas in front of the net.

This won't change. Habs are done in 5. This isn't a case of some Habs players not showing up, they are just outmatched heavily by the bigger Flyers.

10Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

They can't even get past the neutral zone. the Flyers' forechecking is just reckless.

11Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGal wrote:I don't think its all that shocking.

Yeah pretty much. Add Pronger to that list and to a lesser extent Timonen and Coburn and even Matt Carle. I've been impressed with Matt Carle which surprises me, I thought he was quite mediocre leading into this playoff.

Yeah its true. But I don't think its at all surprising. I thought that this would be the Habs hardest series just because of the way the Flyers are. They have much better defence and goaltending and it will be harder to score. I didn't necessarily think it would be 6-0 and 3-0. But regardless of the Habs not-so-great goaltending right now, it doesn't even matter. Even if Halak would have only let in 1-2 goals, it wouldn't make a difference. This series Habs cannot take advantage of offensive mistakes of the other team, because flyers goaltending/defence is too good. On another note, the Flyers home rink is REALLY hard to play in too. Its the Bell Centre of the States. I don't think it will be a sweep though. I see Habs winning a game or two at home.

12Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Markov would have made a huge impact in this series.

He's the only Habs defenceman that has the poise to fend off a relentless Flyers forecheck and get the puck out of the zone.

Subban and MAB are not the answers as far as puckmovers go.

13Shocked? Empty Re: Shocked? Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

That is another thing. Although at this rate, I don't know if Markov would have made enough of a difference to win the game. I think the scores may have been closer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]