GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New head shot "rule" unilaterally implemented by NHL?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Basically it amounts to a potential suspension and/or fine should a player hit another player in the head on purpose. In other words the "Matt Cooke" will no longer be allowed without some sort of suspension.

The timeline for this seems to be a bit fuzzy as you read the article you'll see what I mean. It's stated that the rule would be ready in time for tonights games but that the NHLPA would need to vote on it and that wouldn't happen until Friday. Later in the article it says the NHL unilaterally implemented the new rule and that Daly feels the NHL is well within their rights to do so.

So a rule is in place but who knows when it will take effect.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columnists/chris_stevenson/2010/03/24/13347781-qmi.html

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

They better be consistent with their calls. Also, this could really turn ugly in teh playoffs if they make bad calls like they did twice against Sutton in teh past 2 games. How will this affect the monsters of the league? Will their games change? Will they (refs) cost a team a series by making bad calls?

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:They better be consistent with their calls. Also, this could really turn ugly in teh playoffs if they make bad calls like they did twice against Sutton in teh past 2 games. How will this affect the monsters of the league? Will their games change? Will they (refs) cost a team a series by making bad calls?
its because he is so tall that every time he goes in for a hit it's at head level and he gets called, drives me nuts sometimes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The new rule is not strictly about head shots. Notice last night's Spacek on Booth was a shoulder to the head, even cut him (I suspect that was the visor), but no penalty. The rule is specifically for hits to the head of unsuspecting players.

As much as I would be in favor of stopping deliberate hits to the head, that Spacek hit was as clean as you can get. He stood up at the blue line and Booth skated into him. Spacek's arms were tight to his body. I hate the "he has to keep his head up" argument in most cases, but it is *exactly* the response I have in this case.

Sad for Booth but, perhaps, he came back too soon.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Brodziak took a hit to the head that went uncalled that falls under the new rule.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Brodziak took a hit to the head that went uncalled that falls under the new rule.

I don't think they call a penalty at this point. It's only supplementary discipline after the fact isn't it?

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I thought it was a penalty + suspension?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I thought it was a penalty + suspension?

Nope. That is why they were able to fast track the "rule".

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum