GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Selanne signs 2 year deal

+3
wprager
BigRig
PTFlea
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=383851

2Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

1 year, sure. Saw that coming. but 2 years? He'll probably go through the same "to retire or not to retire" thing next summer so kind of surprising...

3Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

BigRig77 wrote:1 year, sure. Saw that coming. but 2 years? He'll probably go through the same "to retire or not to retire" thing next summer so kind of surprising...

What does Burke care? He won't be there after this summer anyway. I was saying the same thing last year when he signed Schneider. I could see $4-5M for one year, but more than $11M was ridiculous.

4Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

LOL, it'll be another Bertuzzi, Schneider, Neidermayer fiasco.

5Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:08 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Selanne is now officially the best deal in the league: $2.6 mil, 2 years. Wow.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1376/1/

6Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NHLSCap.com already has the updated up, and the Ducks are still almost $1.5M over. They need to "shed" at least $2M. (I put shed in quotes because it also applies to two-way contract players in the minors.)

They have 14 forwards, including Marchant and his $2.5M. Not that I'm hinting or anything Smile It's been brought up more times than I care to remember, and it does fit. But a buy-out would cost them $830K, leaving them less than $500K for injuries or deadline deals. I guess after waiving Schneider they won't blink at waiving Marchant, but given the owner's legal predicament, can he afford this? I doubt they'll be selling out the place that much given their poor finish last year, plus it's not exactly a large arena (a little over 17K for hockey).

7Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

To get Marchant, we'd have to give a pick, otherwise he wouldn't bite.
Can we fit the price, and still leave enough room for what we need later?

8Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:To get Marchant, we'd have to give a pick, otherwise he wouldn't bite.

Marchant is the same player as McAmmond give or take. Don't do it!

Selanne's contract is beautiful. Dung.

9Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:19 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:To get Marchant, we'd have to give a pick, otherwise he wouldn't bite.

Marchant is the same player as McAmmond give or take. Don't do it!

Selanne's contract is beautiful. Dung.

But Deano (as much as I like him) has played with fear since the crack to the coconut.
Todd still has his edge. Not sure if it's a $2.5M edge, though.

10Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just for the record, I was not implying we should go for Marchant. Just that Burke may be waiving two veterans in one off-season and not making himself very popular with UFAs in the longer-term.

11Selanne signs 2 year deal Empty Re: Selanne signs 2 year deal Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

I think if it's a straight McAmmond for Marchant then sure, but if we need to give a pick or another player it's really not worth it... We have guys from within who can do just as good of job...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum