GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+38
BigRig
TheAvatar
b33f
dennycrane
garblar
beerandsens
asq2
pegsensfan
Hoags
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
cash
ddt
Amnesia021
shabbs
Hobiesens
Devo
cain69
Ev
M_Christopher
stempniaksen
SensGirl11
SensHulk
sens4win
SensFan71
Riprock
Hayden
The Silfer Server
SDH89
LeCaptain
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Bramlet07
PKC
strachattack
PTFlea
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

736Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

It's crazy how much better the drafts got when Murray came on board, pretty much every pick he's made is either playing in the NHL or in Bingo with a chance to make the Club.

737Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 100916_defence

738Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:59 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

By Rob Brodie - OttawaSenators.com

Something old, something new? Cory Clouston isn't ruling out the possibility of such a mix.

While the Ottawa Senators head coach admits there is room for one of the team's bright young prospects to earn a job during training camp, in the same breath Clouston acknowledges it'll be anything but easy to crack a lineup which appears set in most positions.

"There aren't a lot (of openings)," Clouston said prior to teeing off at the 17th annual Bell/Ottawa Senators Charity Golf Classic earlier today at the Kanata Golf & Country Club. "But we want is for our young guys to push for spots and make decisions difficult for us."

And they'll get a fair shot at proving themselves, he added.

"If, in fact, a player ends up down in Binghamton (of the American Hockey League), at least he's been given the opportunity to show what he can do so if and when we need to call a guy up, we know exactly what he can do," said Clouston. "We want them to make decisions difficult for us and if someone takes a spot from a veteran, that gives us more assets and more options down the road."

The names that could put themselves into the mix are already fairly well known. Big blueliner Jared Cowen, the Senators' top pick (ninth overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, is front and centre in that discussion, and fellow defence prospect Patrick Wiercioch belongs in the conversation. Up front, Zack Smith — who saw action in all six playoff games against the Pittsburgh Penguins last spring — is a strong contender for a job, while Bobby Butler distinguished himself with his play in the just-completed rookie tournament in London, Ont.

"I had a good first game (with) a couple of goals," said Butler, the leading goal scorer in NCAA Division I hockey last season with the New Hampshire Wildcats. "I thought overall, the weekend went well. I'm definitely excited and ready for the next step."

"I think everybody knows that you just have to find a way to get into the playoffs. That’s the goal for everybody and if you do, we feel — as most teams do — that we have a chance to go far and maybe go all the way. It’s a long way to go, 82 games, to qualify for the playoffs and that’s our goal." - Daniel Alfredsson
Mike Hoffman, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's most valuable player in 2009-10 and a prolific goal scorer, also turned plenty of heads in London and could make an intriguing case for himself in main camp. For all of them, Clouston said, it's a matter of who steps up the most in camp and pre-season games.

"What we're going to need specifically is going to play out as pre-season goes along," he said. "We have a few different players that provide a little bit of a different flavour for us and they each have different strengths and weaknesses. How the pre-season plays out is going to determine a lot which one of the young guys — or if a young guy — stays with us. And we'll go from there."

No matter who lines up for the team on opening night Oct. 8, when the Buffalo Sabres visit Scotiabank Place, the goal remains a simple one: get back to the Stanley Cup playoffs and make it last longer than last season's first-round exit at the hands of the Penguins.

"I think everybody knows that you just have to find a way to get into the playoffs," said captain Daniel Alfredsson. "That’s the goal for everybody and if you do, we feel — as most teams do — that we have a chance to go far and maybe go all the way. It’s a long way to go, 82 games, to qualify for the playoffs and that’s our goal."

The addition of veteran defenceman Sergei Gonchar, one of the league's top power-play quarterbacks, adds to the enthusiasm.

"Everybody knows the impact he’s going to have on the power play, (but) I’m real excited about the 5-on-5 potential, too," said centre Jason Spezza. "I think he’s just an all-around factor in all aspects of the game and he’s so smooth. He’s definitely an exciting guy to have on your team."

Training camp officially opens on Friday with fitness testing and medicals, with the first on-ice sessions set for Saturday morning at Scotiabank Place.

739Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:36 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Wericioch and Gonchar....what a sight! RocknRoll

740Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:38 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

So with these Savard reports, is SpezD finally gonna lay off the acid and stop fussing about getting a guy who's one boarding call away from being a vegetable?

741Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:01 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:So with these Savard reports, is SpezD finally gonna lay off the acid and stop fussing about getting a guy who's one boarding call away from being a vegetable?

Probably not Laugh1

742Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:
1995Draft

Round

Pick

Overall

Team

Player

Pos

Country

Ht

Wt

Amateur League

Amateur Team
111OTT Bryan Berard DUSA6' 2"220OHLDetroit Jr. Red Wings
2127OTT Marc Moro DCAN6' 1"220OHLKingston Frontenacs
3153OTT Brad Larsen WHLSwift Current Broncos
41189OTT Kevin Bolibruck OHLPeterborough Petes
425103OTT Kevin Boyd LCAN6' 2"201OHLLondon Knights
61131OTT David Hruska RCZE6' 0"189Czech.Sokolov
81183OTT Kaj Linna DFIN6' 2"210NCAABoston University
82184OTT Ray Schultz DCAN6' 2"210WHLTri-City Americans
923231OTT Erik Kaminski CUSA205U.S. Jr. ACleveland

WOW! I don't think any of these guys ever played...Berard? I know that name...

Bryan Berard was one heck of an offensive defenceman and was a great pick (except that he wouldn't report to Ottawa) and before his injury (against Ottawa) was putting up close to 50 points a year from the backend in the clutch and grab era.

743Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:19 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
1995Draft

Round

Pick

Overall

Team

Player

Pos

Country

Ht

Wt

Amateur League

Amateur Team
111OTT Bryan Berard DUSA6' 2"220OHLDetroit Jr. Red Wings
2127OTT Marc Moro DCAN6' 1"220OHLKingston Frontenacs
3153OTT Brad Larsen WHLSwift Current Broncos
41189OTT Kevin Bolibruck OHLPeterborough Petes
425103OTT Kevin Boyd LCAN6' 2"201OHLLondon Knights
61131OTT David Hruska RCZE6' 0"189Czech.Sokolov
81183OTT Kaj Linna DFIN6' 2"210NCAABoston University
82184OTT Ray Schultz DCAN6' 2"210WHLTri-City Americans
923231OTT Erik Kaminski CUSA205U.S. Jr. ACleveland

Bryan Berard was one heck of an offensive defenceman and was a great pick (except that he wouldn't report to Ottawa) and before his injury (against Ottawa) was putting up close to 50 points a year from the backend in the clutch and grab era.

I just looked him up before you posted this. Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 54934 I knew the name was very familiar, I didn't realize he was that good though. I saw that he never played a game for us...he just hated our team I guess? He was pretty awesome for sure.

744Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:31 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I think it was something about him not wanting to play in Canada, but don't quote me on that one, haha.

745Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:Is this Tuomo and Sharko's brother?

715201OTT Mikko Ruutu LFIN6' 4"183FNLHIFK Helsinki

Yeah he's a scout for the Sens now.

746Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensGirl11 wrote:

Were you serious? Berard was taken first overall by the Sens but refused to play for them. The Islanders (who took Redden second overall) and Sens traded. A few years later Marian Hossa (playing for the Sens at the time) almost ended Berard's career with a follow-through trying to clear the zone. Berard had several surgeries and managed to get his eye-sight at a level acceptable by the NHL rules (although I believe he is legally blind in one eye). And with one eye he still played better than Redden did his last two years here.

747Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Call me flattered that my opinion is sought after.

Let me get straight to the point, Bernier is by far the best goalie prospect out there right now.

Did the Kings make a mistake early in their development with Bernier? Yes, they did. They realized it very quickly though and atoned for their mistake. They halted Bernier's rise to the NHL and sent him back down for more seasoning. Not only did they send him down, they sent him down with a new role and development plan as well. He was no longer and immediate help/need, they wanted him to develop slowly. Did Bernier get upset with his new status of long-term prospect? Yes, he did and I think we all would have to. He had a taste of the good life and he was a young kid who felt he belonged with the big boys.

Now let's fast forward two years into 2009. He had as good great a year as you could have in the AHL. He dominated the game. He won best goalie award by a mile and followed that up with absurd playoff numbers where he single-handedly gave Manchester a chance to beat Hershey, the eventual Calder Cup champs.

In his 3 NHL games late last season, he was unbeatable. His numbers in those three games were Vezina worthy. He posted a save % of .957 and had a GAA of 1.30. He shutout Nashville and I watched his game against the Canucks. He made 3 or 4 remarkable saves in the first period to keep the game close before the Kings gained the confidence to blowout Vancouver.

Now, four years after being drafted and 3 years into their new plan to mold Bernier into a star goalie, the Kings are looking for an excuse to give Bernier his chance to run with the proverbial ball in 2010. Any injury to Quick or poor stretch, will be the opening the Kings and Bernier want/need. Bernier is NHL ready now and the Kings know he is their future.

As far as Bernier, his style and his body frame. You can't ask for a more technically sound goalie, his butterfly style is textbook. His shoulders stay high and because of his core/hip strength he is able to move laterally in the butterfly at all times. The puck sticks to him, especially when he is playing with confidence like that of last season.

Not sure what else you want from me, but that is my take on him. The Kings goalies this season will be Quick and Bernier.

I think you also mentioned Markstrom, who is the next best prospect by the way, followed by Neuvirth, Schneider, Campbell and then Lehner.

Thanks for asking my opinion, I just gave it. I will be glad to expand if you wish.

Very good report. Thanks for that. I'll admit to not loving Bernier as a prospect, but that year was very good for him in the AHL last year. Quick is another guy I don't really trust - no matter how many games he played/won, it's gonna take time for me personally to accept him as a bonafide number one. Same goes for Bernier, I'm curious to see if he can handle the rigors of the NHL for long periods of time.

Interesting analysis, thanks again.

I could talk hockey all day, just wish I had the time.

Bernier is NHL ready and his transition into stardom will be a smooth one. Although it helps that he has the LA Kings in front of him. Quick better stay healthy and sharp this season or he will be looking for a starting job elsewhere as a UFA in 2013 if he isn't traded before that time.

748Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:44 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Devo wrote:First off N4L wasn't the only one saying that. I think I was the only one who voted for Gryba as the best shot to make the Sens Defense and some people were saying I was crazy.

Second, some of the best judge of goalie talent are people who have never played the position. In speaking with various people I've come to learn that goal tending is a job where styles vary greatly from player to player, much like artists or writers change their styles.

What appeals to one person, may look unorthodox and cumbersome to others. Often the problem with having goalies rate or judge other goalies comes down a how closely they match their philosophy. If you remember Tervor Kidd was drafted way way before Broduer in 1990 and most scouts and experts criticized New Jersey for their pick stating that Broduers hybrid style left gaps in his game and he would never make it in the NHL. Domik Hasek played a style that no one could rate yet he was one of the best ever.

My point is maybe having goalies rate other goalies is less about how good they are, but more about how closely they match their style and philosophy.

There is no denying the stats Bernier put up in the AHL the last 2 years. Specifically 54 and 58 games respectively and even more the save % which for me is almost always a static barometer of how good he is positionally. .914 two years ago and .936 last year and the 4th lowest goal allowed.

Those don't seem to be numbers of a bust.

Devo

Haha, I'm busted.

I catch myself doing that all the time. If goalie X doesn't play the way I played, I don't like them as much. If I can't relate to his/her strange style, movements, technique, positioning, reads, etc, etc, it's hard for me to analyze their game, strengths, weaknesses and project their future. I usually just end up writing them off.

Ya got me. I got nothing left to say.

749Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:So with these Savard reports, is SpezD finally gonna lay off the acid and stop fussing about getting a guy who's one boarding call away from being a vegetable?

Laugh1 Yeah, I'll give up about Savard unfortunately. I fell badly for him of course - and for us, because here's an elite center with an affordable cap hit who wanted to come here - and once Boston planted the seed, you know Savard was thinking more and more about it, but I admit, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole now.

750Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So SG11 and I went to the meet the Sens thing just now and met Cowick, Butler, Wick, D.Smith (we thought it was Culek as he was wearing 51) and...9MM. Meeting Michalek was cool, I'll admit, I was slightly starstruck.

Butler's not really that big to be honest, not sure how he'll adapt to NHL play - Wick is really built, so is Cowick. Big, big dudes.

751Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:So SG11 and I went to the meet the Sens thing just now and met Cowick, Butler, Wick, D.Smith (we thought it was Culek as he was wearing 51) and...9MM. Meeting Michalek was cool, I'll admit, I was slightly starstruck.

Butler's not really that big to be honest, not sure how he'll adapt to NHL play - Wick is really built, so is Cowick. Big, big dudes.

Butler has always been a bean pole. Why did you think otherwise? Are there reports out there that say he is big? I thought it was well known that he is/was small and that's the main reason he wasn't drafted despite being a proven winner already. His winning status had stayed with him, but so has his stature.

752Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

just came back from the STH session at SBP. I met Milan Michalek and finally asked him to set the record straight and tell us how to correctly pronounce his name. He said its pronounced as Mi-ka-lick. So throw out the mi-ha-lick pronunciation for good now.

I know there was some discussion about it not too long ago so I thought I'd mention it. Disappointed that there was no Alfie, Fisher, or Gonchar (or Kovalev...wtf?)

753Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 50 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
Butler has always been a bean pole. Why did you think otherwise? Are there reports out there that say he is big? I thought it was well known that he is/was small and that's the main reason he wasn't drafted despite being a proven winner already. His winning status had stayed with him, but so has his stature.

At 6'1" or whatever, I actually expected a much bigger frame after signing with the Sens and having a nice extended summer to pump and train. I thought he'd be more in line with Wick at around 189-193, maybe even 195, maintain a nice core and most of the speed that comes naturally, but fill out the frame a bit.

It didn't look like he did really, so we'll see how he can deal with it at the NHL level.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum