GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The death of Olympic hope: how Canada's games have gone awry

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Thirty-five.

That was the target in 2004.

After Vancouver was awarded the 2010 Olympic Winter Games that year, an independent firm was
commissioned to study the Own the Podium program.

They came up with 35 – the projected number of medals it would take to finish at the top of the medal
standings in 2010. It was a lofty number for a country that had never finished atop the medal standings in any Olympics.

They pressed on.
Enamoured with the number; preoccupied with finishing first rather than just improving.

This was the case of trying to run before they could walk. It was doomed to failure the day they set
the goal, the day the government said let’s pour as much as $120 million into this program and see how we do.

One week into the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Chris Rudge, chief executive of the Canadian Olympic Committee, conceded that the plan was a failure.

Not only had Canada failed to own the podium, they had in fact regressed – on pace for their worst
medal total since the 1994 Lillehammer games in Norway, when they finished the Games with 13 medals.

The failure to own the podium is unsurprising in itself: it was far too ambitious.

The regression in results has been the real stinger; a confluence of excuses adding up, creating a
breaking point.

The COC will not only have to review the Own the Podium program, but they might have to review their
entire Olympic program after 2010’s closing ceremonies.

The definitive reason for the step back lies in the overwhelming pressure to finish at the top. It’s
difficult enough competing against the best athletes in the world without the added pressure of knowing your country is expecting nothing less than a podium finish.

The program also failed when they believed that athletes from this country, whom rarely finished in the
top five of certain events – like cross country, luge, ski jumping and biathlon – would not only finish top five, but also finish on the podium.

It’s unfair to blame Canadian athletes for the dismal showing in Vancouver. Instead, blame the COC
for forgetting what the Olympics really stood for: excellence, friendship and respect.

By trying to manufacture an atmosphere that created unrealistic expectations from its athletes and demanded that Canadians win no matter what, the failures of these Olympics, whatever they may be, are solely on the COC.

While Canadians wanted Canada to win the Games by finishing atop the medal standings, most would have been happy to see our athletes make us proud. Today, the COC’s unfair modus
operandi has given us a reason to be ashamed.

Do you believe?

Not anymore. Our beliefs were compromised and it’s a sad day for Canada.

Last edited by PKC on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on: reddit

SeawaySensFan

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm by SeawaySensFan

I think our overall medal count is pretty gold-heavy. Own the Podium is a success, in my opinion. Not only because of our high gold medal count, but also because of the success of many athletes in regular World Rankings.

Of course, it's very "Canadian" for our most highly-ranked, reigning World Cup leaders or Champions in some cases, to lay an egg at the Games. The upside surprises are compensating more than I can remember, though.

We are one gold medal behind the leaders -- USA (304 million population) and Germany (82 million). We have a good chance at two more gold in curling and one in hockey; and if the guys can pull their jockstrap on a little tighter, maybe another one there. We could very well finish owning the top spot of the podium, and in some places that's still the only definition of winning.

Yep, USA and Germany have way more in terms of population, but in the Summer Olympics it`s not even close who has the most medals too.
What I`m trying to say is, in the Winter Olympics, Canada should always be favourite, considering the climate and everything else.
BUt, that being said, I think we're heading in the right direction.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 am by Cap'n Clutch

Own the podium should absolutely not be trashed. This was definitely a success. We will likely finish with 15 plus medals and with more GOLD medals than we ever have at the Winter Olympics. Total number of medals doesn't tell the whole story here obviously. I like setting extremely high goals and trying to achieve them. Would you prefer we set out goals as try real hard and see what happens? What's the point in that?

In my opinion Own the podium was a success (misleading name though).

I don't think they should have proclaimed we'd be #1 in medals though but they should have set an ambitious target, we do need to aim high.

We've had some success in the games, some bad luck as well. Cindy Klassen isn't going to win 5 medals again obviously, so we've lost out in some unrepeatable performances in Turin.

My wife made a casual observation about Canada at the games. In most events, Canada only has 1 genuine medal contender, the others are not in serious contention.

That puts "all our eggs in one basket" so to speak and puts a lot of pressure on that star athlete (which may explain some of the choking).
Other countries like the US have several medal contenders so even if their hyped star athlete fails, the others have a genuine shot to win (with a bit of luck perhaps).

"Own the podium" will hopefully lead to the emergence of several medal contending athletes in more events. This will increase our chances and hopefully lower the pressure on some of the "stars".

In most events, I think we're putting all our hopes on one person to win more often than not.

We've also been marred with an unusually high number of 4th and 5th place finishes, hence our bronze medal count is so low. In several events, we could have had multiple medal winners thus 'owning' the podium, but they'd come up short (like those bros. in men's short track speed skating who cam 4th and 5th). It's a little bad luck too at times. The only area I'm really disappointed in is alpine skiing, but other than that, I think the compete level is still tremendous in the canadian athletes. They've most of the time been in contention, and there's still 4 more days to go.

Like most are saying, the GOLD medal count used to be what really counted to determine standings, so it'd be quite the message to the world if we won that, which is still very much possible.

P.S. blame the COC for this 'own the podium' drive. If anything, I think it pissed the other countries off and put on extra unnecessary pressure on our own athletes. Call it something else, just not 'own the podium'.

Michallica wrote:We've also been marred with an unusually high number of 4th and 5th place finishes, hence our bronze medal count is so low. In several events, we could have had multiple medal winners thus 'owning' the podium, but they'd come up short (like those bros. in men's short track speed skating who cam 4th and 5th). It's a little bad luck too at times. The only area I'm really disappointed in is alpine skiing, but other than that, I think the compete level is still tremendous in the canadian athletes. They've most of the time been in contention, and there's still 4 more days to go.

See that's actually a good thing, as those athletes were very competitive and if things turned out a little differently they would've medaled. It's way better than us finishing near the bottom of the standings every time, like some countries do.

And yes Alpine Skiing is the biggest disappointment. I thought most of our skiers grew up skiing those mountains and should be able to ski a gold medal run blind-folded so to speak ....

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm by AlfieisGod11

The Canadian athletes have been terrific IMO.
What Americans care about is whether or not their country is tops in the medal chart. The media tries to create great images of our athletes but in the end they fail because for the previous 3 years there has been nothing said about them. I listen to AM640 Toronto or the FAN590 and they are always mentioning what Canadian athletes are doing in world competition.
My point is what your media does for your country's athletes is really special compared to the American one. I feel bombarded every 4 years (actually every 2) by all of these bios and "amazing" stories of American athletes and in the end it just causes me to lose interest in the Games. It sounds weird but by not owning the podium you guys are better because the Olympics still mean a great deal to you.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Canada blew the old record for host nation gold medal count out of the water. New record is 14, also an overall new record, old record 10 by host nation.

Total medal count of 26, which is the most by Canada ever and good for 3rd overall.

We didn't win the total medal count but I still think we owned the podium.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Canada blew the old record for host nation gold medal count out of the water. New record is 14, also an overall new record, old record 10 by host nation.

Total medal count of 26, which is the most by Canada ever and good for 3rd overall.

We certainly owned the top of the podium Smile

Michael Fisher Portnoy II

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm by Michael Fisher Portnoy II

I'm pretty certain the IOC determines the Olympic champion by total gold medals.

Michael Fisher Portnoy II wrote:I'm pretty certain the IOC determines the Olympic champion by total gold medals.

Yes they do... We owned the hell out of this Podium... The Americains may have won the most medals but we won the most events... Thats all that matters to me.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Canada blew the old record for host nation gold medal count out of the water. New record is 14, also an overall new record, old record 10 by host nation.

We beat the record for gold medals period. Not only for host countries. No country had ever won more than 14 gold medals in a winter olympic before.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum