GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts

+21
Vandelay
SDH89
Hayden
asq2
Sens19
SensHulk
M_Christopher
LeCaptain
Bramlet07
garblar
Jordo
beedub
TeamRenzo
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
PTFlea
shabbs
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 19]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:According to the Team 1200 "Round Table" Ovechkin is the most unique player in the league. The only players who are even close, according to them, are Iginla and Fisher.

That says it all.

I agree with that. There are not a lot of players who can do what those 3 do, I would say Datsyuk as well though, maybe Perry too.

Absolutely. Ovechkin, Iginla, Datsyuk, Perry, Fisher... a rare breed of Superstar.

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 62136

Have you eaten sarcasm cerals these past days?

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:According to the Team 1200 "Round Table" Ovechkin is the most unique player in the league. The only players who are even close, according to them, are Iginla and Fisher.

That says it all.

I agree with that. There are not a lot of players who can do what those 3 do, I would say Datsyuk as well though, maybe Perry too.

Absolutely. Ovechkin, Iginla, Datsyuk, Perry, Fisher... a rare breed of Superstar.

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 62136

This was said and agreed upon by about 3 or 4 people in the course of an NHL pre-game show. Ovechkin, Iginla and Fisher are about the same.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
marakh wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:

That says it all.

This was said and agreed upon by about 3 or 4 people in the course of an NHL pre-game show. Ovechkin, Iginla and Fisher are about the same.
I thought the agreement was that they were equally UNIQUE... not equal skill wise.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They said Ovechkin was a rare player and went on to talk about the different skills he had and that the only players that came to mind that could be in the same category are Iginla and Fisher.

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:It's not about depth, it's not about stats, it's not even about production (like I have said before) its about effort, leadership, and determination.

Name one successful team that didn't have top production or depth (and didn't have Patrick Roy or a similar calibre of gaoltending). Plenty of ECHL teams have effort, leadership and determination. We like Jonathan Cheechoo because he works hard, but pretty clearly that's not the only thing that matters. You have to have some productive contribution.

For the record, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I just think we're underestimating the importance of a number 1 centre and jumping the gun in saying Fisher is one. Spezza was our best forward and easily one of the top-10 centres earlier this season. Since he won't return a number one centre at the moment, since we can't count on getting a number one centre at the draft, and since we can't get a number one centre via UFA, I think the best way to go is to do everything in our power to get Spezza to return to the form he was at earlier this season.

Don't trade him for scraps until you've exhausted every other option. I'm struggling to see how you could disagree with this without having some sort of personal dislike for Spezza. You've mentioned Boston's success post-Thornton but that was requisite on them being able to replace him with Savard and Chara. That's not exactly an easy task to duplicate.

this

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Gohan wrote:
asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:It's not about depth, it's not about stats, it's not even about production (like I have said before) its about effort, leadership, and determination.

Name one successful team that didn't have top production or depth (and didn't have Patrick Roy or a similar calibre of gaoltending). Plenty of ECHL teams have effort, leadership and determination. We like Jonathan Cheechoo because he works hard, but pretty clearly that's not the only thing that matters. You have to have some productive contribution.

For the record, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I just think we're underestimating the importance of a number 1 centre and jumping the gun in saying Fisher is one. Spezza was our best forward and easily one of the top-10 centres earlier this season. Since he won't return a number one centre at the moment, since we can't count on getting a number one centre at the draft, and since we can't get a number one centre via UFA, I think the best way to go is to do everything in our power to get Spezza to return to the form he was at earlier this season.

Don't trade him for scraps until you've exhausted every other option. I'm struggling to see how you could disagree with this without having some sort of personal dislike for Spezza. You've mentioned Boston's success post-Thornton but that was requisite on them being able to replace him with Savard and Chara. That's not exactly an easy task to duplicate.

this

Source?

N4L wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Im not conviced 100% Fisher is a true number 1, however I am convinced that Spezza is not. Every day of the week I'll take a team of Mike Fishers over a team of Jason Spezza's, I said that before Fisher got off to this start and was playing as well as he has been.

We may not need to replace Spezza which is the good thing, you have guys who can step up here already, will they be as good as Savard? Probably not, but there are WAY better options then Spezza out there for a lot less then 7 mil.

Fisher has been this teams best forward since the start of camp, Spezza, like he always does didnt get his production through hard work and his game goes to Dung.

Spezza is not a number 1 center, he's a number one center with a 33 year old Alfi and a 25 year old Heatley ripping up The NHL.

Long story short, Fisher, number 1 center or not brings more to the team then Spezza does. Spezza will never hit the number he did when he was 22, 23 ever again, nooooo shot in hell.

While I don't wholly agree with your take on Spezza, I do agree with several of your thoughts on various subjects---be they his play, the play of others, the potential and performance of the team, etc.

I think it makes a lot more sense to take him right off of the first line. The first line should be the line that is the most productive, which is generally the line that is highest paid, with the most "name" talent. While Spezza has the name, the talent, and the price tag, obviously he's not living up to the tag of "#1 center." We all know the most productive just from looking at the stats sheet and it's not all that difficult to imagine Michalek, Fisher, and Alfredsson finding some nice chemistry. Clouston may have a directive to force certain pegs into certain holes, which would explain why he's so insistent on pairing Michalek and Spezza, but at some point, the standings need to take precedence. Getting the three most productive players to play together seems like an obvious decision...

As for Spezza, you pair him with another couple of letdowns in Cheechoo and Kovalev and just let them be there when they want to be there...who gives a Dung, as long as you're not relying on them. Is it coincidence that in the majority of the games where Spezza and his linemates have scored, the other lines haven't and we've lost? Is it happenstance that this has occured for the better part of two years now? I can't say for sure, but somehow I think any team relying on Spezza is doomed to fail.

Regardless of an individual's take on the situation, there's no disputing that this team has been struggling for a long time and that Spezza has been as inconsistent and unreliable as any player on the team. My vote is to give him a couple of short-term teammates for linemates and weigh your options at the draft, with yet another season of proof to support the theory that he has no place on a consistently hard working team. Worst case is he's traded for less than he could have been in the summer of 07...

Last edited by Gohan on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Gohan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

this

Source?

Search "N4L rant" in google scholar and you should find it.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Apparently (source = some dude on facebook) Clouston was going HARD on spezza 2 times during the game, 1st time at the end of the 2nd period and 2nd time you know when.
Then at post game show elliott is called out.
Ouate de phoque.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:Apparently (source = some dude on facebook) Clouston was going HARD on spezza 2 times during the game, 1st time at the end of the 2nd period and 2nd time you know when.
Ouate de phoque.

How did the "Hockey Scanner" miss that? He's always printing unverified fan accounts as fact! GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 235689 GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 805406

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
marakh wrote:Apparently (source = some dude on facebook) Clouston was going HARD on spezza 2 times during the game, 1st time at the end of the 2nd period and 2nd time you know when.
Ouate de phoque.

How did the "Hockey Scanner" miss that? He's always printing unverified fan accounts as fact! GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 235689 GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Los Angeles Kings - 10:30pm ET - Thu. Dec. 3rd, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 19 805406

lol.

THe guy was at the game apparently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum