GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm EST - Sat. Nov. 7th, 2009 plus post game thoughts

+19
Flo The Action
sidstu
davetherave
smash88
Hayden
Hoags
Urkie
caissie_1
Vandelay
asq2
Sens19
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
LeCaptain
strachattack
PKC
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The comments I made in comparing Leclaire to Gerber are accurate thus far. Only Gerber had a better save percentage.

I made an observation on Leclaire's performance based on how he is playing and what his numbers are saying. I also said that I had high expectations. If that amounts to "hate" and being "out of line", so be it.

Numbers are almost the worst thing to look at when it comes to goalies. They are very misleading. When you have a horrible team in front of you, you don't win many games, you get peppered with shots, sometimes you get very few shots but they are all scoring chances.

What matters most is the teams attitude in front of you. Do they play more aggressive because they are confident that you will back them up? Do they battle hard for you when you let the odd bad goal in becuase they know you will bear down too? Those are the telling things. You can see that this team is more confident in Leclaire than they ever were in Gerber.

I think to say that he is the same as Gerber after 10 starts is really premature and IMO inaccurate.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We're going in circles here. Based on what I have seen with my own eyes AND the numbers Leclaire is not faring any better than Gerber.

I never made any projections or predictions, I'm evaluating Leclaire's starts as an Ottawa Senator.

There's nothing premature about commenting on a players first 10 games after 10 games.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:We're going in circles here. Based on what I have seen with my own eyes AND the numbers Leclaire is not faring any better than Gerber.

I never made any projections or predictions, I'm evaluating Leclaire's starts as an Ottawa Senator.

There's nothing premature about commenting on a players first 10 games after 10 games.

It's OK SSF. Many people suffer from PE. You shouldn't be ashamed. Laugh1

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:We're going in circles here. Based on what I have seen with my own eyes AND the numbers Leclaire is not faring any better than Gerber.

It's OK SSF. Many people suffer from PE. You shouldn't be ashamed. Laugh1

I'm already snoring before the shame has a chance to sink in.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
That was my point earlier (perhaps in another thread). We keep getting holding and hooking calls. Why not charging, elbowing, boarding, even interference (which is usually *not* a lazy penalty, especially when it's done on the goalie).

Silver Seven Sens blogged some illuminating numbers on penalties. Neil leads the way with 10 minors. Alfie, with all his ice time, has one. ONE! I fully expect Neil to lead the team in PIMs; and as long as someone has to lead in the number of minors taken, why not Neil again. But the discrepancy between his numbers and Alfie is almost frightening. He just cannot afford to take that many minor penalties.

For the record, the rest of the leaders (in minors) are Ruutu (8), Foligno (7), Cheechoo (6) and Kovalev (5).

Doing a bit of googling I came across this site that has stats on penalties taken and drawn:
http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/5_on_5_pens.php?sort=8&mingp=&mintoi=5&team=OTT&pos=

The penalties taken numbers don't line up with what SSS had in his blog, perhaps they are a game or two behind. In any case, while Neil takes a lot of penalties, he also draws a few. According to the link above he is -2 (taken - drawn). If I believe SSS's number on the penalties taken (and I don't recall him drawing any recently) then he's probably closer to -5, and that wouldn't be good at all.

Both Neil and Ruutu are expected to take more penalties (especially Ruutu) but they are both supposed to draw as many or more. Especially Ruutu. If he's not drawing penalties then he is not doing hist job as an agitator.

Take a look at Kaleta's stats in that regard: 1 penalty taken, 13 penalties drawn. No wonder Buffalo is doing well -- their role players are doing their roles.

Wow Prager, that is one heck of a damning statistic on Neil, Ruutu, Cheechoo and the entire team really. And as you say, look at Kaleta doing his job in Barfallo.

My dad, who usually doesn't care one way or the other, was singling out Neil as being a dumb-Donkey lately. And if he's saying it, then it's serious. Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

It's OK SSF. Many people suffer from PE. You shouldn't be ashamed. GAME DAY: New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm EST - Sat. Nov. 7th, 2009 plus post game thoughts - Page 11 270956

I'm already snoring before the shame has a chance to sink in.

Hold on, I am sorry but there is no way you can compare the two players. Looking at stats from 10 games is crap. I am happy they have Leclaire and perpetuating the 'as good as Gerber' crap is short sighted and not a good evaluation.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If I were evaluating 10 games after, say, 2 games. I would agree. Over 10 games Leclaire has been Gerber-esqe.

That should be easy enough to wrap your head around.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:If I were evaluating 10 games after, say, 2 games. I would agree. Over 10 games Leclaire has been Gerber-esqe.

After watching all 10 games, you think Pascal Leclaire and Martin Gerber have something in common - other than perhaps allowing a softie once in a while?

Dear God, Leclaire's been up and down, but waaaaay more up than down. He's kept the team in games right up to the final buzzer - basically every game he's played. Gerber was an adventure literally every time the puck went near him - he flat out sucked actually - to the point where he's playing in some Swiss League.

I understand your frustration with Leclaire from time to time, but I think you might be letting that cloud your judgment on this one.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:If I were evaluating 10 games after, say, 2 games. I would agree. Over 10 games Leclaire has been Gerber-esqe.

After watching all 10 games, you think Pascal Leclaire and Martin Gerber have something in common - other than perhaps allowing a softie once in a while?

Dear God, Leclaire's been up and down, but waaaaay more up than down. He's kept the team in games right up to the final buzzer - basically every game he's played. Gerber was an adventure literally every time the puck went near him - he flat out sucked actually - to the point where he's playing in some Swiss League.

I understand your frustration with Leclaire from time to time, but I think you might be letting that cloud your judgment on this one.

Gerber kept us in his share of games in his final season here too and he ultimately let in the odd softy at the worst times to lose games. Same as Leclaire SO FAR. And he did so with better overall numbers than Leclaire has posted SO FAR.

Jesus. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

I'm not going to pretend everything is fine when it isn't.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh my God, I just lost a massive post...Diddle. I was responding to SSF there. Can't re-post it all. Everything's not fine, team discipline, not scoring when the chips are down, our D is crappy. Leclaire is the last of the worries right now, but he's a worry. Laundry list of problems, I posted my list of complaints yesterday.

Sadness, Picard takes one step back after being decent, Carkner has been great, needs to learn when to shoot and when to toss it along the boards.

Devastatingly disappointed in Campoli - thought he was great last year.

Spezza, Alfredsson, Michalek and Fisher have been awesome.

Can't remember the rest. Diddling post took me 5 minutes to write.

I don't know what you were watching last season...Campoli was not good. He put up points because he was feeding the cash line. That's about all the good he did. The effects of zero expectations were clearly beneficial for him. Now we see who he really is.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Gerber kept us in his share of games in his final season here too and he ultimately let in the odd softy at the worst times to lose games. Same as Leclaire SO FAR. And he did so with better overall numbers than Leclaire has posted SO FAR.

Jesus. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

I'm not going to pretend everything is fine when it isn't.

I don't recall a single game where Leclaire was the 1st reason we lost a game...

Gerber on the other hand^^.

Thats a fair statement, but he has some definite Gerber baby moments...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:Thats a fair statement, but he has some definite Gerber baby moments...

Just a few minute ago GAME DAY: New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm EST - Sat. Nov. 7th, 2009 plus post game thoughts - Page 11 489887

That shootout goal was a LOt like gerber

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gohan wrote:I don't know what you were watching last season...Campoli was not good. He put up points because he was feeding the cash line. That's about all the good he did. The effects of zero expectations were clearly beneficial for him. Now we see who he really is.

Yeah, exactly, he was feeding the puck to offensive players - with skill. Something we had lacked since the day we traded Corvo - and I thought he was just starting to look nice and comfortable when the season ended. I was expecting great puck-movement from him this year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gohan wrote:That shootout goal was a LOt like gerber

That was a huge shot by Sullivan. Very quick release, a bit unexpected. If anything, Leclaire could have come out more, but that was an awesome shot.

And then Kovalev's was even better. Backhand bottle-popper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum