GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice

+7
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
SensFan71
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:23 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Hmm; I wonder what's going on now ...

As per tsn http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294295

A day after their 3-2 overtime win over the New York Islanders, the Ottawa Senators seemingly brought that game intensity to practice where Chris Neil and Jason Spezza got into a skirmish.

The two forwards had a dispute during Friday's practice that saw Neil give Spezza a two-handed slash to the back of the legs, which led to Spezza returning the favour. When Neil dropped his gloves, teammates stepped in to stop it before the incident escalated.

After practice, head coach Cory Clouston downplayed the confrontation.
"That's all right," Clouston stated. "That's just intensity...they'll shake hands and make up."

When asked about the exchange with Neil, Spezza didn't know what caused it, but said he was glad that it didn't go further.

"I don't know what happened,” Spezza said. “Sometimes teammates get into it, it's no big deal.

"As soon as he dropped the gloves it was time to get out of there though"
This isn't the first time Neil has gotten into it with teammates at practice. In the past, he's had similar run-ins with Magnus Arvedson and Martin Havlat.

The incident wasn't the only news to come out of practice.
Clouston also switched up the first and second lines, by swapping Nick Foligno and Daniel Alfredsson, because there was "not enough production from our top two lines."
Jesse Winchester and Ryan Shannon were both back on the ice, but neither will play Saturday against the Atlanta Thrashers.

- With files from TSN's Ottawa reporter Brent Wallace.

2Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:

- With files from TSN's Ottawa reporter Brent Wallace.

Wallace is a regular Bill Kurtis.

3Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:27 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Roid rage ? Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice 455378

4Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Roid rage ? Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice 455378

Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice 668437

I don't think that's a rampant problem in Ottawa. I can't think of anyone on the roster that bulked up really quickly, is injury-prone and has a grotesque jawline.

5Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Roid rage ? Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice 455378

wrong type of drug, but that was a supposed issue and that was a couple of seasons ago, there used to be some quite partiers in the lockerroom and their drug of choice was the blow, not roids. If it was true, I believe all the problematic guys are gone.

6Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's good, there's intensity, Spezza is frustrated (as he should be) and Neil's showing why the Sens org. sunk 2 million a year into him. He's a leader and he'll get emotions stirred up if he doesn't like what he sees.

I love Alfie on line 2 with Fisher and Kovalev. Alfie truly is the straw that stirs this team, it's still 100% evident. Spezza needs to continue to work hard, good things will come for him eventually. Foligno I haven't been impressed with in the least this early season, so hopefully a small change will do him good.

7Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seems a little silly for this to be happening 3 games into the season, and after winning 2 in a row... and the day after an OT win.

Unless it's something personal or one of them was goofing off during practice... who knows....

8Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is it wrong that I love this? Obviously something set someone off, but Spezza gave Neil props by saying "As soon as he dropped the gloves it was time to get out of there though".

Now, if this happened all the time, it could be a problem, but I've never seen a "family" where this doesn't happen from time to time.

9Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:34 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Is it wrong that I love this? Obviously something set someone off, but Spezza gave Neil props by saying "As soon as he dropped the gloves it was time to get out of there though".

Now, if this happened all the time, it could be a problem, but I've never seen a "family" where this doesn't happen from time to time.

Family squabbles are a fact of life. Even these guys managed to get along:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1118352/the_bigot_family/

10Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Seems a little silly for this to be happening 3 games into the season, and after winning 2 in a row... and the day after an OT win.

Unless it's something personal or one of them was goofing off during practice... who knows....

Spezza's playing...average and Neil is probably prodding him to be better. Or Spezza fought for positioning in front of Leclaire and Neil and him started pushing.

It's one of a possible hundred things. It's all good. Ahhhhh!

11Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

I dont like that kind of attention very early on the season. Especially when we're winning and we could use the positivity

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

12Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Leave it to Spezza to turn a very positive week into something so stupid.

13Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:18 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

meh I just take it as the guys are actually fired up about this season, something like this probably wouldn't have happened pre-Clouston as nobody on the team gave a flying F.

14Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Neil slashed Spezz, how is that Spezza's fault?

15Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Empty Re: Spezza and Neil "fight" in practice Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tuk Tuk wrote:Neil slashed Spezz, how is that Spezza's fault?
Clearly he made that goofy laugh and Neil scolded him for it.

Much like the "door knob" rule.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum