GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Justin Williams out for 4-6 months

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382237

Ouch. Yet again...he's out for a while.

2Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=382237

Ouch. Yet again...he's out for a while.

Ugh. That makes filling RW in for Yahoo! drafts even worse... with this news, Zherdev moves into my top 20 RWs (pre-draft) this year, which includes big names like PM Bouchard, Dustin Brown, Sykora, and Cole. TOP 20.

I'm going to be sick. Remind me to pick a RW in the first 3 rounds. And also remind me to write Yahoo! everyday, begging them to update players' position eligibility status ASAP... they have so many players listed on their wrong wing, or as C when they're normally wingers...

3Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Try to get Iginla or Alfie and then worry about the rest. If you don't get one of those two, well, good luck.

4Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 pm

I got cheechoo and satan (playing on a line with crosby) and then brad boyes as my alternate

5Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:Try to get Iginla or Alfie and then worry about the rest. If you don't get one of those two, well, good luck.

Umm, Hossa? And Satan is replacing Hossa alongside Sid. St. Louis is good for a few points. Perry could have a breakout with the added icetime. Doan might finally be playing on a decent team. Same with Horton. And now that Schneider has cleared Selanne is about to push Zherdev down to 21st.

6Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:Try to get Iginla or Alfie and then worry about the rest. If you don't get one of those two, well, good luck.

Umm, Hossa? And Satan is replacing Hossa alongside Sid. St. Louis is good for a few points. Perry could have a breakout with the added icetime. Doan might finally be playing on a decent team. Same with Horton. And now that Schneider has cleared Selanne is about to push Zherdev down to 21st.

I absolutely don't trust Satan so much that I would but him inside the top 15 or so options at RW, even if he plays with Sid. He will be a good sleeper option, but I'm not picking him in the first 8-10 rounds or so. And Zherdev has a much, much higher upside.

Here's my current rough order of RWs, compiled with the help of Dobber's guide, and a few other sources. Remember that I play in leagues that count PIMs, and that's why some of the placements might seem a little strange. This isn't absolute either, but more of a guide: come draft time, for instance, I might take a Satan over a Gionta, or a Cole over a Bouchard, etc., -- but I'd be unlikely to take a guy from the 21-30 group over one in the 11-20 group.

Jarome Iginla
Marian Hossa
Daniel Alfredsson
Marian Gaborik
Martin St. Louis
Corey Perry
Patrick Kane
Jason Pominville
Nathan Horton
Ales Hemsky

Alexei Kovalev
Shane Doan
J.P. Dumont
Teemu Selanne
Jonathan Cheechoo
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Dustin Brown
Petr Sykora
Erik Cole
Nikolai Zherdev

Joffrey Lupul
Brad Boyes
Brian Gionta
Miroslav Satan
Milan Hejduk
Radim Vrbata
Michael Ryder
Mike Knuble
Martin Havlat
Martin Erat

At any rate, my point is, primarily, that there's a significant drop off at right wing after about pick 15, which is not the case at all other positions. Even at LW, I have a lot better options at 16-30 (Michalek, Cammellari, Sharp, Kariya, Gagne, Ray Whitney, etc.). I'm definitely loading up on RW early... like, two of them in the first 6-7 rounds. Centres will have to wait this year.

7Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 pm

You should just go the B.Murray route and go with the BPA

8Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:You should just go the B.Murray route and go with the BPA

What does that mean?

9Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:46 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

What does that mean?

I'm just guessing, but judging from the point of the sentence I'd be inclined to guess that BPA = Best Player Available.

10Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Empty Re: Justin Williams out for 4-6 months Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

What does that mean?

I'm just guessing, but judging from the point of the sentence I'd be inclined to guess that BPA = Best Player Available.

Ah, that makes sense.

That's the problem with pools that have strict positional requirements. You can't always go for the best player available. If we need 3 C, RW, and LW, then picking 5 centres and 1 RW at the draft won't do you any good. Sometimes, you have to go for the BPA at a certain position, and RW looks like it's going to be a hard position to fill this year in Yahoo! leagues -- at least, that is, until they decide to update player positions to reflect actual line combos.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum