GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Markov turns down captaincy, per TSN; UPDATE Markov denies report

+7
shabbs
davetherave
SensGirl11
wprager
PTFlea
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

@ASQ> Markov has not been approached by Jacques Martin to be the captain; and Markov is not interested in being the captain, as he maintains he is a low key person who prefers to focus on his tasks on ice.

This was made clear by Martin and Markov today:

L'entraîneur Jacques Martin a à toutes fins utiles confirmé, mardi, que le Canadien va amorcer la saison en ayant un capitaine en poste.

Tout en affirmant qu'on n'avait pas offert le titre au défenseur Andrei Markov, contrairement à ce qu'un quotidien anglophone avançait mardi, Martin a indiqué que les joueurs seront écartés du processus décisionnel.

«Je ne sais pas d'où ça vient, a commenté Martin, mais nous n'avons pas approché Andrei.

Markov a corroboré les propos de Martin, en indiquant qu'on ne l'avait jamais approché. Il a indiqué qu'arborer le «C» sur son chandail ne l'intéresse guère.

«C'est une énorme tâche que celle d'être capitaine du Canadien de Montréal, a-t-il répondu, quand on lui a posé la question. De me retrouver à tous les jours devant vous, les journalistes, serait de nature à m'effrayer. Je préfère faire mes affaires paisiblement en retrait et me concentrer sur mon rendement.»

Jacques Martin, who said he had no idea where this report about Markov and the presumed offer had originated, confirmed that he and management will confer on the issue; and that a captain is expected to be appointed before the season starts.

Full text of the article from Canoe Sports here:
http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/hockey/canadiens/archives/2009/09/20090915-173252.html

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

That's all the Habs need, more controversy.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

@DTR>
Didn't Kovalev say that Markov was approached and did turn it down? Is it possible that it happened behind closed doors and the team bigwigs didn't want it getting out that he turned them down?
Perhaps they spoke about it and Markov made his position clear, but it wasn't officially offered. I just get the feeling that, if they did ask, officially or not, Markov would probably bring it up if talking to Kovalev.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Approaching Markov for the captaincy makes no sense.

No? He's their best player and he's gotta be one of the longest (if not the longest) serving Canadiens on the team.
He can barely speak English and can't speak a lick of French. They need someone who can address the media properly.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well if Markov loved being the quiet unassuming player that avoids the spotlight he's SOL now.

This season he'll be swarmed by the Montreal media asking him over and over about not being interested in being the Captain and the rumours of his outright refusal.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They are in a real bind to find a captain. Giving it to Price would be a nightmare - he certainly doesn't need any more pressure or attention from the media.

I can't see them starting the season without a captain... the real centennial will be celebrated this year during the season.

Giving it to one of the newest members may be the only real choice. What about Gionta?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think out of courtesy it had to be extended to him, with the proviso that he would have to take French lessons. That way it is his choice to turn it down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum