GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch

+5
mattshock
asq2
PTFlea
PKC
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Zack Smith is now *officially* the Sens' New Young Hope At Forward, if you believe this glowing piece in The Citizen.

Personally, I'm a big fan of giving talented, committed kids a shot over high priced vets, so I hope Zack is ready to join the Back In Black gang.

Here's what the OC has to say...I like the comments by BM and CC in this piece, so I'm posting the whole thing:

ZACK OUT TO JOIN SENS' ATTACK
Hard-nosed centre could bring toughness, scoring to lineup
Allen Panzeri, The Citizen, September 8 2009

Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray winces to hear it, but it's tough to argue: The Senators are one of the softest teams in the National Hockey League.

They've never had a defenceman who consistently punishes opposition forwards, as Jason Smith did in his prime or Jared Cowen might do one day.

Except for the odd player such as Chris Neil and Mike Fisher, they've never had a group of forwards willing to battle for space in front of the opposition net.
Murray's trying to change that.

He might have something in Nick Foligno, who is not shy about jostling for position, and maybe Cody Bass, though injury-prone so far in his career, will be another.

After that, though, the pickings are slim.

In the past two years, Murray's added Jarkko Ruutu, Shean Donovan and Jesse Winchester. All three are hard players, but they won't make anyone forget Jason Spezza.

That's why Murray and his coaching staff have so much hope invested in Zack Smith. He could finally be Ottawa's version of the player they wanted, but never got -- Gary Roberts -- a guy who will knock over everyone on his way to the net and get 20 goals a season.

Smith, 21, was drafted 79th overall in 2008 and had an eyebrow-raising rookie seasons with Binghamton of the American Hockey League in 2008-09. Playing on a line with Ilya Zubov and Ryan Shannon, he tied for second on the team in goals (24), was fifth in points (48) and, better yet, was fifth in penalty minutes (132).

Starting here at this NHL rookie tournament, the Senators want a good look at Smith.

Like centre Peter Regin, who is also being given a chance to make the NHL team, Smith's fate depends on what happens with Dany Heatley. If there's an open roster spot after Heatley is either traded or returns, Smith will have a chance to compete for it.

Murray is keeping his fingers crossed, but loves what he sees.

"He's big and strong and, every drill he does, he drives the net," Murray said Monday. "We don't have players who do that consistently. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in preseason games, to see how he fits and how he plays against high-level NHL players.

"He's very close."

What Murray especially likes is that, in addition to being tough and strong, the 6-2, 199-pound Smith has good hands.

What Smith has to do now is show that he can play against NHL-calibre players.
"He's a big, raw kid, very gritty," assistant general manager Tim Murray said.

"He'll stick you, put a glove in your face. For us, he could be a fourth-line centre, but Cory (Clouston, the Senators' head coach) will have a choice between Zack, Regin and Cody Bass. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's here all year."

Smith did next to nothing in his first two seasons with Swift Current of the Western Hockey League. His third season was better, with 16 goals and 15 assists in 71 games, and he broke out in his fourth season: 22 goals and 48 assists in 72 games.

The way he explains it, it was a matter of confidence. Early in his junior career, he was typecast as a checker, so only gradually did he find his ability to score.

"It's all about confidence for me. Going into junior, I didn't have a lot of confidence.

"Then I had some good years, and now I'm playing with more confidence than I've ever had."

Playing with Zubov and Shannon helped, since both players are offensively talented, but Smith surprised even himself with the points he put up in his first AHL season.

As he left town at the end of last season, he was told he had a good chance to play in Ottawa this season. Now he has to seize the chance.

"Guys like me and Peter (Regin), we've played a year of pro, so we're obviously expected to be leaders at this rookie tournament and be the best players, and hopefully we can do that," he said.

----

I like this kid. About time the Sens get some nasty in 'em.

Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Zack_a10

2Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Looks like a good kid. Plays a real hard nosed game. Still a likely Darren Helm, Sens version. He is likely a victim of the numbers game and the most important number is 1 - being: 1-way contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave, but I don't remember any quotes from CC when I read it this morning? I just gave it a quick glance and again I don't see any. Has he spoken of him somewhere else that I haven't seen?

3Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

@cas> "He'll stick you, put a glove in your face. For us, he could be a fourth-line centre, but Cory (Clouston, the Senators' head coach) will have a choice between Zack, Regin and Cody Bass. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's here all year."

That came from Cory.

4Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think Murray has any problem clearing guys out if they want to make room for a guy like Zack Smith.

5Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:46 pm

davetherave wrote:@cas> "He'll stick you, put a glove in your face. For us, he could be a fourth-line centre, but Cory (Clouston, the Senators' head coach) will have a choice between Zack, Regin and Cody Bass. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's here all year."

That came from Cory.

No that came from Tim Murray. Clouston wasn't quoted in that article.

6Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I don't think Murray has any problem clearing guys out if they want to make room for a guy like Zack Smith.

Right on. Time for the Senators to mess some other teams up. Enough with the diplomatic relations.

7Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm

PKC wrote:I don't think Murray has any problem clearing guys out if they want to make room for a guy like Zack Smith.

He may not but Smith will have to be an obvious choice over vets like Donovan and Ruutu, as well as newbies like Bass and Winchester. Its highly unlikely that he outplays anyone other than Bass.

8Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:
davetherave wrote:@cas> "He'll stick you, put a glove in your face. For us, he could be a fourth-line centre, but Cory (Clouston, the Senators' head coach) will have a choice between Zack, Regin and Cody Bass. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's here all year."

That came from Cory.

No that came from Tim Murray. Clouston wasn't quoted in that article.

Quote-schmote. That's Killer Cory talking.

9Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:

He may not but Smith will have to be an obvious choice over vets like Donovan and Ruutu, as well as newbies like Bass and Winchester. Its highly unlikely that he outplays anyone other than Bass.

Really? Cause it looks like Smith brings as much grit as any of those guys and more scoring as well. If he is in good shape and plays to his abilities, he'll make this team and find himself on the third line with former line-mate Ryan Shannon.

10Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

@PKC> you totally get it. Zack is the kind of buzzsaw this team needs.

11Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm

PKC wrote:
cas wrote:

Really? Cause it looks like Smith brings as much grit as any of those guys and more scoring as well. If he is in good shape and plays to his abilities, he'll make this team and find himself on the third line with former line-mate Ryan Shannon.

I don't disagree with Dave in that we could use a guy like Smith, but you need to keep in mind that Zach tailed off BIG TIME in the 2nd half of the season when he lost Shannon. BIG TIME. If he's dependent on someone else to put up numbers, than he simply isn't ready. And after watching him at DC and again last night, Imo he's not ready.

With people playing up to their capability, this team has plenty of scoring throughout their lineup. Our least dangerous roles players (Donovan, Ruutu, Neil; some would argue Kelly and Winchester) are all capable of putting up 20-25 points in the Clouston system. Smith wouldn't top 25 points this season in the NHL - I pretty much guarantee it. One more year in the AHL is what Zubov, Smith, Regin, and maybe Bass need in order to truly claim NHL roster spots.

12Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

@cas> you need guys like Zack Smith to win.

Great teams have players whose role it is to spark the others. Smith has that spark.

13Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 pm

So does Foligno. So does Fisher. So does Neil. So does Winchester. So does Ruutu. So does Kelly. So does Alfredsson. So does Volchenkov.

We aren't bereft of character and grit.

I look forward to the day when Smith is a full time member of the Ottawa Senators. I just don't expect that day to be anytime in 2009.

14Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Murray has gone on record as saying that a player move had to be made to get under the cap and to that point that move was the retirement of Jason Smith. I got the distinct impression that Murray is quite comfortable with the current Ottawa roster, with all its 1-way contracts. Could a move be made? Absolutely, but only if Smith makes it 100% impossible for them to leave him off the team.

15Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Empty Re: Zack Attack: The Zack Smith Watch Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:So does Foligno. So does Fisher. So does Neil. So does Winchester. So does Ruutu. So does Kelly. So does Alfredsson. So does Volchenkov.

We aren't bereft of character and grit.

I look forward to the day when Smith is a full time member of the Ottawa Senators. I just don't expect that day to be anytime in 2009.

Zack Smith will be the toughest guy on the 2009-10 Senators. Book it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum