GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brassard signs extension

+3
SeawaySensFan
Bramlet07
jamvan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brassard signs extension Empty Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

The Columbus Blue Jackets have locked up one of their key up-and-coming players. The team announced on Friday that they have signed Derick Brassard to a four-year contract extension. The 21-year old will earn $13 million over the duration of the deal, which begins in 2010-11.

Brassard had 10 goals and 15 assists in 31 games last season before the rookie suffered a shoulder injury in December that required surgery and sidelined him for the remainder of the season. Last October he was the NHL Rookie of the Month after posting nine points in his first 10 games.

"We are pleased to have Derick under contract for the next five years," said Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson in a press release. "Derick's determination, passion and talent make us believe he will be an important part of our team in the coming years."

Brassard was Columbus' first pick (6th overall) in the 2006 draft.

2Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:32 am

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

This is a really risky deal, hopefully it turns out to be a steal for them.

3Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:34 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bramlet07 wrote:This is a really risky deal, hopefully it turns out to be a steal for them.

Not lisky. Me rikey.

- Chuck Wang, GM of the NY Islanders

4Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:45 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

This is one of these deals that raises eyebrows now, but makes the GM look smart in 2 years.

DET does these kinds of deals more and more now, first with Kronvall (who now looks like a steal), then with Filppula (who might look overpaid at the moment, but who probably won't look so for very long, I think).

In this new cap world, it's imperative that you get the biggest bang for your buck, especially with the kids. Longer, forward looking deals like this one make a lot of sense, provided you have a lot of faith in the kid's talent.

Brassard is a pretty talented player, too, when you get down to it. Were it not for the injury, his hot start last year screamed 'break out'. I expect to see it this year, frankly. He's on a team with strong wingers but weak down the middle. He's going to get every chance to step up and grab a prime scoring role on the team.

5Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:03 am

I love this deal. Before suffering his injury, he was leading the team (and league rookies) in scoring IIRC. Jakub Voracek's really cool off production wise after his centreman was injured as well, so having a healthy Brassard helps them two ways.

Big fan of this deal, provided he doesn't turn out to be as brittle as Gaborik.

6Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It's a bit of a risk: he's played a total of 48 NHL games. Columbus needed to lock him in though.

7Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good deal, he's a fantastic young player. Better to take the risk now than to pay for it later.

I assume he's a UFA after this deal is completed?

8Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Good deal, he's a fantastic young player. Better to take the risk now than to pay for it later.

I assume he's a UFA after this deal is completed?

Right now, capgeek says RFA. (?)

9Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow, then that's the deal of the century.

10Brassard signs extension Empty Re: Brassard signs extension Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:29 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

A bit risky but this is the kind of stuff that make Dustin Brown and Zach Parise look like Diamonds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum