GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canada's Olympic Jerseys

+5
Riprock
wprager
Sens19
Flo The Action
Tuk Tuk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Canada's Olympic Jerseys - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:51 pm

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

Very nice.... Classic jersey look... Let's see it win the gold.

17Canada's Olympic Jerseys - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:02 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I like it... very nice. What a bunch of stoopid hoopla about not being able to use the Hockey Canada logo on the front. challenged.

The stupid part really isn't even that. The IOC has always had the rule. In the past, though, Canada was able to lobby the IOC for an exemption -- it's been worn before in the Olympics. For some reason, though, they didn't push for it his year. The year the Olympics are actually *IN CANADA*.

The cynic in me thinks it has to do with selling more jerseys with the new logo -- I believe it would be the Vancouver Olympic Committee or whatever they call themselves that would profit from this.

I could be wrong but I believe a little greed is involved.

18Canada's Olympic Jerseys - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. Isn't it always about money... I guess where the profits go must have factored there... perhaps Hockey Canada got more if the logo was on the front?

19Canada's Olympic Jerseys - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here is a little on that:

http://www.thespec.com/article/460723

Hockey
Canada wants the COC to get exemptions, as they did in 2002 and 2006,
or it will lose revenue from apparel sales. But the national Olympic
body says the IOC is firmly enforcing the rule.

You mean the IOC didn't bother enforcing the rules in 2002 and 2006, but is doing it now? The issue (from what I'd heard on the radio back a few months ago) is that Hockey Canada insists it is the COC that won't go to bat for them, as they had in the past. The COC is saying "It's the rules and we can't do anything".

This part in the article makes me go "Hmmm:"

He (Vankoeverden - who sits on the COC executive) also noted Hockey Canada would still make money off jersey sales.

Yeah, but probably not as much money. And the rest would go to the COC.

20Canada's Olympic Jerseys - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's all in the amount me thinks... no doubt this is revenue driven.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum