GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canada's Olympic Jerseys

+5
Riprock
wprager
Sens19
Flo The Action
Tuk Tuk
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Canada's Olympic Jerseys Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2009/8/12/olympic-first-look-canada.html

2Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

meh... to close to a leafs jersey. funny enough i don't think anybody from the leafs will be suiting up for the olympics? was beauchemin invited?

3Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Flo The Action wrote:meh... to close to a leafs jersey. funny enough i don't think anybody from the leafs will be suiting up for the olympics? was beauchemin invited?

Close except this one fills me with pride and not nausea. Laughing3

The monster may be playing for Sweden as a backup, as well as Komisarek for the US.

4Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 am

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

not bad at all. Will look good with a gold medal around it

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

5Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What's that inside the maple leaf? Just random noise or does that not look like a crown and perhaps an eagle or something?

Canada's Olympic Jerseys Canada2010red

6Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:00 am

wprager wrote:What's that inside the maple leaf? Just random noise or does that not look like a crown and perhaps an eagle or something?

It's Haida (spelling?) Indian carvings....

My source (and a very good one both in heritage and position) says they are specific to ask the gods for luck and protection.

Sort of similar to the loonie in the ice, but more like a bunch of luck in the crest.

7Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

They are very cool, and the meanings behind the engravings are encouraging.

I thought that the IOC prohibited the use of the Maple Leaf though?

8Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dawg's Wife wrote:
wprager wrote:What's that inside the maple leaf? Just random noise or does that not look like a crown and perhaps an eagle or something?

It's Haida (spelling?) Indian carvings....

My source (and a very good one both in heritage and position) says they are specific to ask the gods for luck and protection.

Sort of similar to the loonie in the ice, but more like a bunch of luck in the crest.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm well familiar with Haida, having helped my son in a school project on that. Plus having read that "O is for Orca" about a million times to my kids (in that book "H is for Haida").

9Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 am

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Dash wrote:They are very cool, and the meanings behind the engravings are encouraging.

I thought that the IOC prohibited the use of the Maple Leaf though?

The IOC prohibits the use of logos from corporate entities, which Hockey Canada is, so that logo is out (the red/black maple leaf with a player on top).

10Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:28 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Oh, ok then. Imagine they did prohibit the Leaf? I may just buy one of the bad boys.

11Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:28 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

very impressive design, I definitely look forward to seeing these jerseys paraded in Van City next Feb.

12Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I like it... very nice. What a bunch of stoopid hoopla about not being able to use the Hockey Canada logo on the front. challenged.

EDIT: Challenged? The filter changed retarded to challenged? Now THAT is retarded.

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

13Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:51 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Very nice.... Classic jersey look... Let's see it win the gold.

14Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I like it... very nice. What a bunch of stoopid hoopla about not being able to use the Hockey Canada logo on the front. challenged.

The stupid part really isn't even that. The IOC has always had the rule. In the past, though, Canada was able to lobby the IOC for an exemption -- it's been worn before in the Olympics. For some reason, though, they didn't push for it his year. The year the Olympics are actually *IN CANADA*.

The cynic in me thinks it has to do with selling more jerseys with the new logo -- I believe it would be the Vancouver Olympic Committee or whatever they call themselves that would profit from this.

I could be wrong but I believe a little greed is involved.

15Canada's Olympic Jerseys Empty Re: Canada's Olympic Jerseys Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. Isn't it always about money... I guess where the profits go must have factored there... perhaps Hockey Canada got more if the logo was on the front?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum