GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!!

+4
SeawaySensFan
caissie_1
shabbs
jamvan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Jason Spezza’s Olympic dream gained some new life today.

The Ottawa Senators centre has been added to the roster for Hockey Canada’s summer orientation camp for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic team. The camp is scheduled to run Aug. 24-27 in Calgary.

Senators forward Dany Heatley was among the 46 players originally invited to the session, which will be held at the Pengrowth Saddledome. Spezza’s addition fills the void created by off-season surgery required by Ryan Getzlaf of the Anaheim Ducks. Another camp invite, Joe Sakic of the Colorado Avalanche, also recently announced his retirement.

The camp roster now includes five goaltenders, 16 defencemen and 25 forwards.

For Spezza, it represents a second chance to wear the red maple leaf on the Olympic stage. Three years ago, he was an alternate player for the Canadian team at the 2006 Turin Games but didn’t see any action.

Spezza has been a part of several success stories in Canadian colours. He represented the country at the past two world hockey championships, helping the Canada earn silver medals at both tournaments (Russia won the gold each time). He also owns one silver and two bronze medals from previous participation at the world junior hockey championship.

In May, Spezza was a standout for Team Canada at the 2009 hockey worlds in Switzerland, racking up seven goals – tied for the team lead with Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning – among his 11 points. He had the lone goal for Canada in the gold-medal game, won by Russia 2-1.

Canada plays its 2010 Olympic opener in Vancouver on Feb. 16, facing off against Norway at Canada Hockey Place. The gold-medal game is set for Feb. 28, the final day of the Games.

2Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Perhaps Spezza can finally get that Gold Medal that been so elusive up to now...

3Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Get it done Spezzz... The only real senator present!

4Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a feeling this Spezza fellow will turn some heads at this ice hockey engagement.

5Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

This could not have happend in a better way for Spezza. He took the humiliation of not being able to go before Sakic retired, now is his second shot. A message was sent to the guy and now he can prove that he can should be there... but the key word there is PROVE.

6Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

There was never any doubt in my mind. It is only camp and he has many things to prove. It is up to him to do it.

He seems more mature and this may be his time to be the player we all know he can be.

7Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, let's hope he steps up for this too and makes the breakthrough we've all been waiting for.

8Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Hopefully he carries the strong play he showed at the Worlds over to the camp and then Vancouver.

9Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I'll put on hold that Team Russia jersey purchase, then Smile

This is Spezza's chance to prove to Neely, once and for all, that that city championship back in pee-wee wasn't just a fluke.

10Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:50 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

l should start using my contacts to see where the players are staying when in calgary.

11Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

This is great news, you could tell he really wanted to be there. And he won't want this opportunity to get away from him

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

12Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:32 pm

hemlock wrote:Hopefully he carries the strong play he showed at the Worlds over to the camp and then Vancouver.

Again, relax. Canada played 2 good teams and lost both. Spezza, Heatley, Roy, Weber, all of them, beat up on lesser nations. There was nothing impressive from anyone at the WC.

13Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
hemlock wrote:Hopefully he carries the strong play he showed at the Worlds over to the camp and then Vancouver.

Again, relax. Canada played 2 good teams and lost both. Spezza, Heatley, Roy, Weber, all of them, beat up on lesser nations. There was nothing impressive from anyone at the WC.

I consider Sweden a good team. I am sure that everybody else does too. Facepalm

14Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:53 pm

With the "Monster" in nets? Sweden's best players were all in the playoffs. Vancouver and Detroit is basically team Sweden. Lundqvist was there.... Sweden wasnt even close to being a top notch team in that tourny.

15Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Empty Re: Spezza gets Olympic Invite!!!! Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Beating USA twice, only losing twice all tourney and winning a Bronze Medal is not to shabby IMHO.

They only lost twice and one was to Russia. The other was to Latvia. A lot of teams lost to Latvia in this tournament as they were the surprise team. By the time Latvia played Russia, Latvia had already won 4 games in a row and Russia knew not to underestimate them.

So, yes. I consider Sweden a good team. It doesn't matter what players Sweden brings to a tournament, it is the system that the players buy into that makes them such a strong team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum