GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1

+11
Hayden
Riprock
pgood
PKC
PTFlea
beedub
LeCaptain
Sens19
wprager
The Silfer Server
Tuk Tuk
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

151GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

You'll be fine. You're guaranteed at least one of them. I guarantee it!

152GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Touche!

153GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

bluewhiteandgolf wrote:Dany Heatley

Boo!

Oops, that's the reaction now.

154GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

I will take Jeff Carter Sarcasm

155GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I put in one of Neely's picks. SD, over to you for Clutch's pick. We're headed back up pretty soon so the rest of you, get ready.

1. Howie Morenz- E. Malkin
  2. beedub- A. Ovechkin
  3. PKC- S. Crosby
  4. Tuk Tuk- P. Datsyuk
  5. pgood- R. Luongo
  6. Dash- J. Iginla
  7. SpezzDispenser- J. Spezza
  8. Hayden- H. Zetterberg
  9. Wprager - J. Thornton
  10. FireOnIce - Mike Green
  11. MurderOnIce- N. Lidstrom
  12. cassie_1 - I. Kovalchuk
  13. Hemlock - D. Alfredsson
  14. Sens19 - R. Nash
  15. Sensgirl11 - N. Backstrom (WAS)
  16. Blazer - V.Lecavalier
  17. Marakh- R. Getzlaf
  18. bluewhiteandgolf - D. Heatley
  19. Bigrig77 - Jeff Carter
  20. Neely4Life - H. Lunqvist
  21. Cap'n Clutch

156GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, Neely brought up a good point yesterday (in a PM). 9 forwards with 21 poolies means we'll be picking 189 forwards in total. We started on Sunday and are nearly done with the first round Thursday morning -- that's 4 days and a bit. Even if we continue at this rate of velocity (one of McGuire's best expressions) we won't be done until October 7, and it doesn't get any easier in later rounds. The other point -- anyone care to guess which forward placed 189th in points last year? (It's a rhetorical question, so don't bother looking it up. All right, it's David Clarkson.)

Let's rethink the numbers here. Do we really want to be picking for 2 months and end up with the David Clarkson's of the league at the bottom of our rosters?

This is how we used to do it for many years in a pool I was in. We picked 10 players and the top 8 counted toward our total (this lets you insure against long-term injuries and picking Wade Redden). You can pick any positions but in the scoring you must have a full lineup of 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie. For example, if you pick only one goalie and he pulls a Lehtonen in game 1, you will have to score zero for him in your total -- you must have at least one goalie in your "lineup".

Or we could go with what set out to do in the first place, but reduce the number of forwards to 6.

Oh, and one last point, FOI, you mentioned that a 1-0 loss in OT will get the losing goalie 3 points for the regulation shutout. The league does not count that as a shutout (it's a loss) so there will be no way to score this pool using an online pool.

157GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am

wprager wrote:By the way, Neely brought up a good point yesterday (in a PM). 9 forwards with 21 poolies means we'll be picking 189 forwards in total. We started on Sunday and are nearly done with the first round Thursday morning -- that's 4 days and a bit. Even if we continue at this rate of velocity (one of McGuire's best expressions) we won't be done until October 7, and it doesn't get any easier in later rounds. The other point -- anyone care to guess which forward placed 189th in points last year? (It's a rhetorical question, so don't bother looking it up. All right, it's David Clarkson.)

Let's rethink the numbers here. Do we really want to be picking for 2 months and end up with the David Clarkson's of the league at the bottom of our rosters?

This is how we used to do it for many years in a pool I was in. We picked 10 players and the top 8 counted toward our total (this lets you insure against long-term injuries and picking Wade Redden). You can pick any positions but in the scoring you must have a full lineup of 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie. For example, if you pick only one goalie and he pulls a Lehtonen in game 1, you will have to score zero for him in your total -- you must have at least one goalie in your "lineup".

Or we could go with what set out to do in the first place, but reduce the number of forwards to 6.

Oh, and one last point, FOI, you mentioned that a 1-0 loss in OT will get the losing goalie 3 points for the regulation shutout. The league does not count that as a shutout (it's a loss) so there will be no way to score this pool using an online pool.

I won't be around all day today. I will say this though. Do what you want with the pool, but if you change the format now, I will drop out. Do you really think I would have taken Mike Green if we didn't have to take 4 defenseman?

The draft wouldn't take forever like it is, if people would remember that they are in a pool and respect that some people are waiting to pick.

I have done pools for years and I can tell you about 5 sites that count a shutout as a shutout (which it is) if the goalie loses 1-0 in a shootout.

I really have to go now, sorry for the tone, but I don't have time to play around with emoticons and really care how this comes across.

I wrote it with good intentions.

158GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 am

Oh, one more thing.

Yes, I am not around today, but if I actually thought I might get a chance to pick, I would send a list of 30 players to Tuk Tuk.

159GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

FireOnIce wrote:Oh, one more thing.

Yes, I am not around today, but if I actually thought I might get a chance to pick, I would send a list of 30 players to Tuk Tuk.

I have a suggestion/offer.....

I have some free time and if people want to send me a ranked list of who they'd draft, I could do the drafting according to rank? After each round, I can post the results...
thoughts?

realizing that it would take hours, I could be finished in a week (better than 2 months!)

160GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

BigRig77 wrote:
FireOnIce wrote:Oh, one more thing.

I have a suggestion/offer.....

I have some free time and if people want to send me a ranked list of who they'd draft, I could do the drafting according to rank? After each round, I can post the results...
thoughts?

realizing that it would take hours, I could be finished in a week (better than 2 months!)

Umm, thanks for the offer, but I really don't have time to rank nearly 300 players, plus figuring out how to strategize (which position to pick in which round -- those are actually tactics and not strategies after the first round -- depends who the others pick).

161GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SD, where are you?

162GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:15 am

wprager wrote:By the way, Neely brought up a good point yesterday (in a PM). 9 forwards with 21 poolies means we'll be picking 189 forwards in total. We started on Sunday and are nearly done with the first round Thursday morning -- that's 4 days and a bit. Even if we continue at this rate of velocity (one of McGuire's best expressions) we won't be done until October 7, and it doesn't get any easier in later rounds. The other point -- anyone care to guess which forward placed 189th in points last year? (It's a rhetorical question, so don't bother looking it up. All right, it's David Clarkson.)

This post is filled with win. The dig at Redden being my favorite.

This post also makes a great deal of sense.

163GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

FOI, I really don't get your comment about picking Green. Are you suggesting that, if we were picking fewer than 4D you would not have picked Green? Barring injury he is very likely to outscore all other defensemen, so he is likely the best D pick. Besides, I'm not pushing for picking fewer defensemen, just fewer forwards. So, would picking just six forwards make you change your mind about getting Green in the first round? Strange. Whatever, I'll stick around until October, I guess, but some may drop out, I'm afraid.

Also, if there is a way to get stats on regulation shutouts, then I'm fine with scoring them as such in the pool. It's not an official stat, though -- when a goalie loses a game, he doesn't get a shutout, period. But if you know fo sites that will automatically score it that way, sure, no problem. As far as the pool is concerned.

On the philosphical side, though, I am of the opinion that a loss is a loss. I am against awarding "loser" points for a non-regulation loss. As a compromise, I am willing to award 3 points for a regulation win and 2 for a non-regulation win, with 1 point going to the loser (i.e. all games carry the same total number of points).

Along similar lines of though (a loss is a loss) the my opinion is that a goalie should not get awarded a shutout when he loses the game. And the NHL agrees with me.

164GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:SD, where are you?

I have very limited internet access from work this week. Ahhhhh!

165GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Marc Savard for Clutch.

I hope he's okay with that. Ahhhhh!

166GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:16 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Now that the pool is up and running smoothly, people will be checking more regularly.

167GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:27 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

1. HowieMorenz- E. Malkin
  2. beedub- A. Ovechkin
  3. PKC- S. Crosby
  4. Tuk Tuk- P. Datsyuk
  5. pgood- R. Luongo
  6. Dash- J. Iginla
  7. SpezzDispenser- J. Spezza
  8. Hayden- H. Zetterberg
  9. Wprager - J. Thornton
  10. FireOnIce - Mike Green
  11. MurderOnIce- N. Lidstrom
  12. cassie_1 - I. Kovalchuk
  13. Hemlock - D. Alfredsson
  14. Sens19 - R. Nash
  15. Sensgirl11 - N. Backstrom (WAS)
  16. Blazer - V.Lecavalier
  17. Marakh- R. Getzlaf
  18. bluewhiteandgolf - D. Heatley
  19. Bigrig77 - Jeff Carter
  20. Neely4Life - H. Lunqvist
  21. Cap'n Clutch- M. Savard

168GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: GM Hockey Fantasy Pool Round 1 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is is Clutch's pick again now?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum