GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Theo Fleury attempting comeback

+2
Acrobat
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287047

Has sent a letter to Bettman, apparently, stating his intentions on playing once again in the NHL.

I've always liked him, putting aside personal problems, I believe he deserves a chance to play again. Obviously it comes down to finding a team (Calgary, anyone?) that will give him the shot (much like McCarty and [Claude] Lemiux).

He's sober now, working hard to get in shape, and I do hope someone gives him a contract, which will likely be a 2-way with him starting the the minors(?).

God speed Theo!!

2Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:17 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

If he succeeds, it's the Cinderella story that soars above the negative publicity coming from all the other major leagues.

If he doesn't, he comes off as another top-notch player who didn't know when it was over.

For his sake, and the game's, I hope that he makes it and that he makes a real difference.

3Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:20 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

How old is he?

I kinda cringe when I see retired players come back. I cheered Belfour for giving up the idea of a comeback, and taking that golie coach job in St. Lou

4Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He's a spring chicken... only 41.

5Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:38 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:He's a spring chicken... only 41.

God someone get on the horn with him and tell him to sit his Donkey in his easy chair, and keep doing what he's doing. Isn't he in construction of some kind?

6Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm

This makes no sense. He runs a successful home reno company here in Calgary. Maybe they are expanding and need the cash???

7Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's over. This isn't "Rocky V", this isn't even "Rocky". The fitness level of NHL players has changed since he last played, six years ago. Even if he is able to get back to the level he played at it would barely be enough, and he's 41 and tiny by today's standards.

8Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:01 am

wprager wrote:It's over. This isn't "Rocky V", this isn't even "Rocky". The fitness level of NHL players has changed since he last played, six years ago. Even if he is able to get back to the level he played at it would barely be enough, and he's 41 and tiny by today's standards.

Two words: Claude Lemieux

9Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pepe had more of a chance. He was only away from the game, what, 3 years? And he was not as vertically challenged.

10Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Martin St.Louis is testament that it can be done, but he's 5'6" and 41 years old. Some D-man (unfortunately) would take pleasure in leveling him on his first shift.

I would say don't do it, but obviously the fire burns deep inside of Theo to play NHL hockey again. Good luck to him if he can make a team.

11Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:29 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:This makes no sense. He runs a successful home reno company here in Calgary. Maybe they are expanding and need the cash???

James Mirtle (The Globe & Mail, FromTheRink.com) paints a picture of Theo Fleury's financial situation that is not a good one.

Link to Mirtle's article here:
http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/8/8/981803/the-unfortunate-truth-behind

Without hearing Fleury's version, readers of this article by Mirtle may want to reserve judgement.

12Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Theo Fleury answers his critics and the skeptics:

Fleury 'willing to play anywhere'
Vicki Hall, The Calgary Herald, August 10, 2009

CALGARY - At 41, Theoren Fleury realizes his quest for a storybook return to the National Hockey League could involve a chapter or two in another less-glamorous setting.

Like the American Hockey League or ECHL. Maybe even some far-flung circuit in Europe or Asia.

After all, Claude Lemieux toiled in China and Worcester, Mass., last season before making a comeback at age 44 with the San Jose Sharks.

"I'm willing to play anywhere," Fleury said Monday after skating with a handful of NHLers in Calgary. "I just love to play hockey. It doesn't really matter."

Still, Fleury believes he can compete with the best in the world in the NHL - even if others think he needs his brain examined to even entertain such a far-out plan.

"If the opportunity for a (NHL) training camp passes me by, I might have to start at the bottom and work my way up," he said. "But I know if I get to a training camp, I'll take care of the rest."

Regardless, Fleury realizes the road ahead is likely bumpier than a secondary highway in his native Manitoba. Six years have passed since he last skated in the NHL - and Fleury is not exactly known for an obsessive dedication to off-ice conditioning like Chris Chelios, a defenceman who just finished his 25th season in the league.

"I think people forget who I am and what I've accomplished in this lifetime," Fleury said. "I know everybody thinks the odds are insurmountable. But they were insurmountable in 1987. They were insurmountable when I walked into Moose Jaw (of the Western Hockey League)."

As for the criticism?

"It fuels the fire," said the five-foot-six dynamo. "I learned a long time ago that I shouldn't take other people's inventory - that I should keep my own house in order."

Should Fleury feel like torturing - or motivating- himself, the former Canadian Olympian need only hook up to the Internet.

Too old. Too deluded. Too desperate. The cynics - and there are many - believe a comeback is less likely than Paula Abdul kissing and making up with American Idol.

"With the Internet and everything, everybody's got their opportunity to comment," Fleury said. "So be it. That's their right."

Also standing in Fleury's way is the NHL itself. Officially, Fleury is still under suspension for failing to comply with the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health Program before he walked away from the game in 2003.

With four years of continuous sobriety, Fleury hopes to get an audience with commissioner Gary Bettman on recommendation of the counsellors who administer the program.

"We're just waiting around to see what happens," said Fleury, a recovering alcoholic who credits the 12 steps for turning his life around. "I can only control certain things. When I try to get involved and get in the middle, I end up screwing things up. I'm just going to stay back, be patient, continue to have fun in the gym and continue to come here and skate with the guys.

"And hopefully at the end of it, something good will happen."

Fleury looked positively svelte wheeling around the ice Monday with Calgary Flames defenceman Cory Sarich, Minnesota Wild blue-liner Nick Schultz and a handful of other NHLers.

"I don't know what your body feels like at 41 after that many years in the league," said Schultz, 26. "If he can get himself in good enough shape, anything is possible.

So how does the old guy look?

"It's tough to tell out here," Schultz said after playing some four-on-four with the grandpa of the group. "You've just got a few guys zipping it around in the off-season.

"But he's still great with the puck. In today's game, if he can get the puck to the right guys and play with some good players, he can definitely be effective."

Sarich, 31, said it's unfair to evaluate any professional hockey player in the second week of August.

"We'll give him the benefit of the doubt, just like the rest of us," Sarich said. "He's still got good hands. He's very smooth out there."

But what if smooth isn't enough to convince a general manager to give him another shot? Or what if the counsellors decide against recommending reinstatement?

Can Fleury live with an unhappy ending to his comeback bid?

"I don't know what the future holds," Fleury said. "All I know is that life is great. I have a great wife who supports me tremendously. I have great kids who are back in my life and trust me and respect me. That's probably more important than anything else.

"If something comes out of this, then great. If it doesn't, I think I'm smart enough and resilient enough to move on to something else."

Calgary Herald
vhall@theherald.canwest.com

13Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What an interesting story. Who knows...maybe it's worth a shot. League minimum obviously, 2-way as well.

14Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:36 pm

It's a longshot, but I wish him the best. As a Flames fan back in the 80's until the Sens came to town, I've always had a soft spot for Theo. He's beaten the odds in his career before. Here's hoping he can do it again.

15Theo Fleury attempting comeback Empty Re: Theo Fleury attempting comeback Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:39 pm

that's increadible!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum