GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Theo Fleury retires...

+2
SensFan71
shabbs
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Theo Fleury retires... Empty Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, after getting cut by Calgary, I guess this was the most logical choice...

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/28/11167286.html

So long little man...

2Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:24 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

enjoy retirement Theo, all little players shall be looking up to you as their role model.

3Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Too bad, I thought he was really good in the pre-season. For 500K or whatever, I'm surprised some GM didn't give him a shot.

4Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Too bad, I thought he was really good in the pre-season. For 500K or whatever, I'm surprised some GM didn't give him a shot.
I think it all has to do with where we are in the season... if this had been closer to trade deadline, I think it would be a different story. Teams are trying to shed players and only a few are really looking to add depth. Look at all the waivers going on right now.

5Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:Too bad, I thought he was really good in the pre-season. For 500K or whatever, I'm surprised some GM didn't give him a shot.

The thing about Fleury is that he's too small and gotten too slow to play on your third or fourth line. He'd have to be on the top 2, and im not sure he'd fit in on even the Torontos of the NHL.

I think his main reason for making a comeback attempt was to go out on his own terms. Obviously he wanted to play, but i think he knew the odds against that given a 6 year absence from the league.

Hopefully this way, people will remember his comeback attempt, not his disgraceful exile from the league way back when.

I wonder if he has a shot at the Hall.

6Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Has he gotten slower? I mean, it stands to reason that he's a little slower, but is he slow as Dung now?

7Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:50 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Has he gotten slower? I mean, it stands to reason that he's a little slower, but is he slow as Dung now?

I haven't seen him play but if he notched some points you have to think he was effective.

8Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Has he gotten slower? I mean, it stands to reason that he's a little slower, but is he slow as Dung now?

I haven't seen him play but if he notched some points you have to think he was effective.

I saw bits of Flames games and he seemed okay. Meh...he probably would have been destroyed by some 22 year old mammoth D-man, so probably better this way.

9Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OK... I'm gonna throw this out there... this whole "Theo come back tour" was a huge PR move architected by him to go out and retire on his own terms in a more appealing way than before via suspension.

I think this was all very intentional and he knew he would not make the team (or there was an agreement he wouldn't) and this allowed him to create a nice, pretty ending to his career, retire as a Calgary Flame and promote his upcoming book.

Crazy? I don't think so.

10Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wonder if Graham James will make an appearance in said book?

11Theo Fleury retires... Empty Re: Theo Fleury retires... Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Regardless he's the original little guy success story and he was part of the Flames team that won the Cup back when the Flames were my favourite team. I choose to remember that Theo personally.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum