GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tyler Toffoli - player to watch

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I've been hearing great things about Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 76. This kid is coming along very well and turning some heads in Ottawa, where he is doing pretty well.

Named to OHL's First All-Rookie team, as well recently to the U-18 team.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=5139
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=115633

Along with Taylor Hall, he could be a potential top NHL pick in 2010. Future Senator? Sarcasm

Last edited by Dash on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 pm

He's pretty good. Has a knack around the net. I'll be curious to see how much he improves this year.

3Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for this. I am a member in a lot of pools and I have never heard of this guy to be honest.

Sounds promising.

I will add these 2 pages to my radar/spreadsheet/favorites/OCD life.

4Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:35 pm

RobbyJ wrote:He's pretty good. Has a knack around the net. I'll be curious to see how much he improves this year.

Sounds like you have seen him play.

He is a big boy for 16 years old. But he doesn't seem to have many PIM's. Is he a perimeter play? Does he play soft? Does he go into the corners? I know you said he has a knack around the net, but that could just be with his shot.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

5Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I've got a write-up on him from Prospects Magazine I could write-up in here at some point.

6Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:15 pm

I will save you the time, but thanks for the offer.

Which magazine? Is it actually called Prospects Magaizine. I will go buy it.

7Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It's and old issue though. From Winter, had Alex Pietrangelo on the cover.

8Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:42 pm

FireOnIce wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:He's pretty good. Has a knack around the net. I'll be curious to see how much he improves this year.

He is a big boy for 16 years old. But he doesn't seem to have many PIM's. Is he a perimeter play? Does he play soft? Does he go into the corners? I know you said he has a knack around the net, but that could just be with his shot.

He missed some games last year, I don't remember if it was injury or illness, we seem to get a lot of mono cases with the 67s.

I wouldn't call him a perimeter player. He's young so it takes time before the kids really show how physical they can be.

He seems to be one of those guys that can deflect a pass on a 2 on 1 and it finds the back of the net, whereas some guys will miss the net, clank the post, or a goalie makes the great save. I don't know if they keep shooting percentage stats in the OHL, but I would bet his would be relatively high. He did play with some pretty talented players throughout the year.

I would imagine this year he will be asked to play top line and be a go to scorer, so we'll see how he develops.

9Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

TOFFOLI ENJOYS GOOD START WITH 67'S

So far, the biggest adjustment that Tyler Toffoli has had to make to life in the OHL has come off the ice. The Ottawa 67's rookie is off to a great start on the ice and said that being comfortable at home with his billets and with his new friends in the nation's capital has made all the difference. "The guys have helped me out a lot," said Toffoli, the 7th overall pick in last May's OHL Priority Selection from the Toronto Jr. Canadiens. "(My billets) are great. They feed me great food and treat me like a son. It's been awesome." Toffoli rooms with veteran forward Tomas Kiriakou and said that he tries to emulate how his older teammate carries himself on and off the ice. "He's showed me around and he's such a hard worker off the ice and on the ice," Toffoli said. "I look up to him. So far he's been playing well and I've been playing well along with him so it's been good." On the ice, Toffoli hasn't needed much time to adjust. He scored eight goals and 23 points in his first 30 games and is among the OHL's top scroing frshmen. "I didn't put any pressure on myself," Toffoli said. "But I knew coming into the year that Ottawa would like me to produce and so far I think I've done a pretty good job of it. Hopefully I can just keep it up." 67's coach and GM Brian Kilrea has been impressed by Toffoli so far. "I think Toffoli is going to be a star in the league and definitely a player who won't have to sit a long time for his name to be called in the NHL," Kilrea told the Kingston Whig-Standard.

- FROM 'ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE PROSPECTS NEWS EDITION', Vol. 24, Issue 1 - DEC 2008

10Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 pm

RobbyJ wrote:
FireOnIce wrote:

He missed some games last year, I don't remember if it was injury or illness, we seem to get a lot of mono cases with the 67s.

I wouldn't call him a perimeter player. He's young so it takes time before the kids really show how physical they can be.

He seems to be one of those guys that can deflect a pass on a 2 on 1 and it finds the back of the net, whereas some guys will miss the net, clank the post, or a goalie makes the great save. I don't know if they keep shooting percentage stats in the OHL, but I would bet his would be relatively high. He did play with some pretty talented players throughout the year.

I would imagine this year he will be asked to play top line and be a go to scorer, so we'll see how he develops.

Thanks Robby, the kid is on my radar now. I appreciate it.

11Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Dash wrote:TOFFOLI ENJOYS GOOD START WITH 67'S

So far, the biggest adjustment that Tyler Toffoli has had to make to life in the OHL has come off the ice. The Ottawa 67's rookie is off to a great start on the ice and said that being comfortable at home with his billets and with his new friends in the nation's capital has made all the difference. "The guys have helped me out a lot," said Toffoli, the 7th overall pick in last May's OHL Priority Selection from the Toronto Jr. Canadiens. "(My billets) are great. They feed me great food and treat me like a son. It's been awesome." Toffoli rooms with veteran forward Tomas Kiriakou and said that he tries to emulate how his older teammate carries himself on and off the ice. "He's showed me around and he's such a hard worker off the ice and on the ice," Toffoli said. "I look up to him. So far he's been playing well and I've been playing well along with him so it's been good." On the ice, Toffoli hasn't needed much time to adjust. He scored eight goals and 23 points in his first 30 games and is among the OHL's top scroing frshmen. "I didn't put any pressure on myself," Toffoli said. "But I knew coming into the year that Ottawa would like me to produce and so far I think I've done a pretty good job of it. Hopefully I can just keep it up." 67's coach and GM Brian Kilrea has been impressed by Toffoli so far. "I think Toffoli is going to be a star in the league and definitely a player who won't have to sit a long time for his name to be called in the NHL," Kilrea told the Kingston Whig-Standard.

- FROM 'ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE PROSPECTS NEWS EDITION', Vol. 24, Issue 1 - DEC 2008

Thanks so much Dash. The kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders with some of his quotes. Not bad to have that glowing recommendation from Kilrea either. Thanks again.

12Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No problem at all.

13Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I've been hearing great things about Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 76. This kid is coming along very well and turning some heads in Ottawa, where he is doing pretty well.

Named to OHL's First All-Rookie team, as well recently to the U-18 team.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=5139
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=115633

Along with Taylor Hall
, he could be a potential top NHL pick in 2010. Future Senator? Sarcasm

Exciting to have a kid like that on the 67's, but I'm not sure I'd put him on the same level as Hall, Kabanov, Fowler etc. at this point. Of course, especially with prospects, a lot can change in a year.

14Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Empty Re: Tyler Toffoli - player to watch Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:47 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Yeah, the few times I saw the 67s play, this kid was awesome.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum