GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A new NHL team in Quebec? Per TFP.com/Sun Media

+3
wprager
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Quebec City pushing for another team
David Pagnotta, TheFourthPeriod.com, July 21, 2009 (from Sun Media story)

The city hasn't been the same since the Nordiques left for Colorado in 1995, but it appears the wheels are in motion to bring another NHL franchise to Quebec City.
Yesterday, Pierre Karl Peladeau, CEO of media company Quebecor, announced that he will be "seriously" involved in trying to lure an NHL team back to Quebec's capital.

"Quebec City is a hockey city ... much more than certain American cities with NHL teams," he said. "Quebec City has the potential to build a new arena and accommodate a hockey team, but it won’t be tomorrow. (We'll) have to be patient."

Quebecor was in the running to purchase the Montreal Canadiens, but the team was ultimately sold to the Molson brothers for $630 million.

Many people have voiced their concern with Quebec not having another team, but there were two major obstacles standing in their way.

The first was a new arena. The second was an ownership group with deep pockets.

A group of European investors has been reportedly willing to spend $200 million on a new facility if the Quebec government is willing to chip in close to $50 million.

Quebec premier Jean Charest said in Nov. 2008 that an investment of $50 million was a realistic option.

Providing the plans for a new arena are still available, it seems as if a potential ownership group is now in place.

"Quebec City has proven itself, and it's clear there's a market," former Canadiens head coach Jean Perron told Sun Media. "All the NHL owners who saw the Nordiques saw that it’s a great hockey town."

Having a new arena with a sound ownership group makes a strong argument for an NHL to return to the city.

Now, they must convince the NHL heads that it's a good idea.

---

Is this Peladeau's next move?

The talk has been getting louder for some months now, with corporate suites and deposits being taken for season tickets.

Aleksandr Medvedev, head of the KHL, was reported to have said he saw 'no reason' why Quebec City should not have an NHL franchise...

Coming soon?

Your thoughts...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Péladeau started imagining the impact of adding a pro-sports component to his media holdings would have if he got the Habs and he really liked what his crystal ball was saying.

It would be a nice fit. The only problem is Quebec City is in Canada and the NHL doesn't care for any market that doesn't have a ZIP code.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Moving an existing franchise? I'm on board. But not if it's meant as an expansion.

So, Dave, what are your thoughts?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Moving an existing franchise? I'm on board. But not if it's meant as an expansion.

Grouille toi, Pierre, 'stie!!

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Moving an existing franchise? I'm on board. But not if it's meant as an expansion.

Don't be so sure. Expansion fees mean BIG money for every owner around the league.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It would be about time IMO.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:

C'mon man... hop off the fence!

I'd love to see a team back in Quebec City.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Le P'tit Pierre devrait sortir son HOSTIE d'foin TABARNAK...on a besoin des Nordiques...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:

C'mon man... hop off the fence!

I'd love to see a team back in Quebec City.

That's what I said, 'stie...I'm sending a Twitter to Peladeau right now. :n:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

'stie!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Goose bump!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Goose bump!
HA HA!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Du bon vieux hockey d' chez nous, 'stie...

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

I'd love to see another team in Canada but only if it's relocating one of the existing team, there are a lot of options in that scenario. Expansion is not a good idea imo, 30 teams is quite enough

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Du bon vieux hockey d' chez nous, 'stie...
Génial!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum