GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

From Mendes : Sun media to be wedding crashers

+10
Acrobat
M_Christopher
Hayden
shabbs
wprager
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
jamvan
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

There have been some hints from the Ottawa media that suggest several members plan on crashing Jason Spezza's upcoming wedding in an attempt to force Dany Heatley to speak.

Personally, I think as a media group we need to act with some class and show a little respect for someone's special day. Unfortunately, those two words (class & respect) aren't in many reporters' vocabularies and it's a big reason why we are wedged comfortably between telemarketers and personal injury lawyers on the scale of likable professionals.

If Heatley chooses not to speak to the media before his friend's wedding, that does not constitute an open invitation for us to attend. I understand that Heatley is a legitimate story and everyone wants to hear his thoughts on why he might want to leave Ottawa. I firmly believe that he owes Senators fans an explanation at some point.

But there's a time and a place for that to happen. And guess what? It's not at somebody's wedding. If you want to stake out the airport for his arrival, I think that's fair game. Camp out for him at some local bars in case he hits the town? Knock yourself out and pretend you work for TMZ for a night. I don't have an issue with it.

But if you want to stake out the church or reception hall... that's crossing the line.

If anything, we owe it to Spezza to leave this thing alone on his big day. Jason has been the most accommodating star to deal with from the media's perspective.

Case in point: On the day that Team Canada omitted him from the orientation camp roster earlier this month, Spezza VOLUNTARILY came out to speak to us at Scotiabank Place when none of us even knew he was in the building. He could have ducked out and nobody would have been the wiser. Instead, he came out to speak with us on a day in which the topics (Olympic camp/Heatley) weren't going to be positive.

Jason has asked all of us to respect his privacy on his special day and not show up. He's hired security to make sure no unauthorized guests (hint, hint, media) try to sneak in. He couldn't make it any more clear: "I'm nice to you guys 364 days a year. Please give me one day off."

But I can't shake the nagging feeling that pack journalism is going to rule the day. Everyone is going to be scared that the competition is going to get the scoop, so we better head to the wedding ourselves.

Let me just say this: If a bunch of media show up to Jason Spezza's wedding, don't be surprised if another superstar wants a trade out of Ottawa at some point. And once again, us clueless members of the media will be wondering why.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

If they do that, I will NEVER read an ottawa newspaper again. I'm not kidding. I adorn our walls at home with all the clippings from wins and losses from our Ottawa newspapers, sun and citizen. If any of these guys show up, I will get my paper elsewhere.

Low class and disrespect at someone's wedding, is absolutely unacceptable to me. I wouldn't blame him if he asked for a trade out of here if they do that.

It would be absolutely disgusting to me.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I suspect it won't be a problem but you never know. If Ottawa was known for it's Paparazi (sp?) then I'd say bank on the wedding being crashed and possibly by a guest that was paid off but I'm pretty sure that is not an issue in Ottawa.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CheapShots would be too distracted by hors d'oeuvres and free booze to bother Heatley other than to ask him what he thinks of the pinwheel sandwiches.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:CheapShots would be too distracted by hors d'oeuvres and free booze to bother Heatley other than to ask him what he thinks of the pinwheel sandwiches.
Boo Boo has actually lost a lot of weight and is already going to the wedding.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If this was New York and they cared about hockey like we did, there would be paparazzi everywhere, that's just life.

Now, rewind for a second. We're in Ottawa, we care passionately about hockey, but you DO NOT infringe on people's sacred day just to ask some diddling Donkey hole why he wants to Wing Dang Doodle out of town.

Leave it for now, Heatley will have to speak. DO NOT crash the wedding. I think the sports reporters in the Sun are average to above average, if they do something like this, I can see them being relieved of duty.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:CheapShots would be too distracted by hors d'oeuvres and free booze to bother Heatley other than to ask him what he thinks of the pinwheel sandwiches.

Did he? Is he?

Good for him. He needed to lose weight for fear of health problems.

And Boo Boo got an invite to the hottest ticket in town? Again, good for him. He might get Dung wrong all the time, but he's actually a very dedicated sports reporter.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Did he? Is he?

Good for him. He needed to lose weight for fear of health problems.

And Boo Boo got an invite to the hottest ticket in town? Again, good for him. He might get Dung wrong all the time, but he's actually a very dedicated sports reporter.
He's actually a really good guy and a lot of fun. I work with his brother. Despite his reputation, he is quite connected in the hockey world...and this ain't no Ripley's!!!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

jamvan wrote:

SmallTime Versage will set up some stuffed animals around a little table with a Dora tea set on top and imagine he was invited.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
He's actually a really good guy and a lot of fun. I work with his brother. Despite his reputation, he is quite connected in the hockey world...and this ain't no Ripley's!!!

I believe it. I get peeved at Boo Boo once in a while because his facts are arse backwards, but he's a real hockey guy and he is indeed well connected (I've heard).

Again, good for him. There's a massive level of respect that comes from being a sports writer and having one of the biggest sports figures in the city invite you to his wedding.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

jamvan wrote:

CheapShot = Brennan

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling they're saying this to put pressure on Heatley to address them before the wedding.

Shame on them if they do "crash" the wedding.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I have a feeling they're saying this to put pressure on Heatley to address them before the wedding.

Shame on them if they do "crash" the wedding.

Someone will try it for sure. Too much money at stake.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Max Keeping - CJOH - said Heatley is not going to be at the wedding.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hayden wrote:Max Keeping - CJOH - said Heatley is not going to be at the wedding.
Wow.

Max is still working at CJOH?

I'm amazed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum