GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's happening in Russia?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's happening in Russia? Empty What's happening in Russia? Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just read that the KHL is looking at expansion. Apparently Putin (former Russian PM -- former KGB, no less) is backing this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4341257&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

Also in the news (earlier) was the formation of the MHL (Молодёжная хоккейная лига, or Minor/Youth Hockey League). Most teams in the MHL would be affiliated with a KHL team, much like the AHL is here, except they would play in the same city (if not the same arena). See more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Hockey_League

Expansion and the addition of a development/farm league? Certainly does not sound like a league ready to implode. Clearly the current low attendance is seen as a concern but not an insurmountable obstacle. There must be money over there (especially now that oil is heading back up) to run some of these teams from the owners' pocket change. Also they must be getting a ton of money in TV and ad revenue -- if you check the attendance figures, it's clear this is not a league run on gate revenues alone.

So, what does this mean for us? Well, for one, forget about any of your Russian prospects. Unless they are playing here, no, don't hold your breath -- or offer them top-six minutes right now.

Sorry, maybe I am a little over the top on this, but the reality is that guys like Zubov can make a ton of money playing over there; here, he is stuck behind guys like Neil making #2M for four years.

Second, a high-level minor league means fewer Russian players heading over to the CHL or AHL. And with no North American playing experience few of these players will get drafted in the first (or even second) round. We'll still get the occasional offensive star, but an Ovechkin or Malkin (usually) comes only once or twice in a decade.

It's interesting to speculate what the landscape might be in 10-15 years. Few (if any) Russians playing in the NHL. International competition might get a little more intense. How would it effect NHL salaries if at all?

2What's happening in Russia? Empty Re: What's happening in Russia? Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I think it will be even more interesting to see what happens with players from other European countries. Swedes and Fins are making more headway into the NHL, but Russia is a lot closer to home for these guys. I sure hope we don't lose them as well. Furthermore, if the talent level drops off in the NHL, can we really support 30 teams (assuming we are even doing that now)?

3What's happening in Russia? Empty Re: What's happening in Russia? Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Excellent points. If we go back to 24 teams, forget about Quebec City and Winnipeg.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum