GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halak to SJ?

+5
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
PKC
shabbs
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Halak to SJ? Empty Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://twitter.com/eklund

Nevermind it's Eklund's twitter, this is from Strickland, a guy who doesn't go for rumours, but instead knows what's what.

Interesting.

I don't know why SJ would want Halak...unless Nabokov is moving.

This is semi-serious. Some Dung could be going down to free space for Heatley.

2Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:11 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting. Nabokov with Price would be a good combo and provide some leadership for him... if he's going the other way that is.

3Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:20 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Try Halak for Marleau. Couldn't be a more perfect fit in my opinion. The Habs have wanted Marleau for years now, and Halak would give someone to spell Nabokov and eventually take over the reins if they decide to part ways with him.

And, drum roll please, the cap savings would be MONSTROUS. It wouldn't be a straight up swap, I'd imagine Montreal would throw in someone making in the range of $2 million per season to help offset some of the cap filling that would happen. But it just makes too much sense.

4Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Interesting. Nabokov with Price would be a good combo and provide some leadership for him... if he's going the other way that is.

I doubt they trade Nabokov unless it's a major deal. Cap flexibility is nice, but you need to have the goalie to go far to make it worthwhile.

5Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Try Halak for Marleau. Couldn't be a more perfect fit in my opinion. The Habs have wanted Marleau for years now, and Halak would give someone to spell Nabokov and eventually take over the reins if they decide to part ways with him.

And, drum roll please, the cap savings would be MONSTROUS. It wouldn't be a straight up swap, I'd imagine Montreal would throw in someone making in the range of $2 million per season to help offset some of the cap filling that would happen. But it just makes too much sense.

Yeah, that might work. Then look for Nabokov to move if the Sharks can find someone they like on the free market or via trade.

Halak alone won't do it, but the cap savings is intriguing.

Try selling that one to Sharks fans. We just traded the captain for....cap space! Yay! Ahhhhh!

6Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:http://twitter.com/eklund

Nevermind it's Eklund's twitter, this is from Strickland, a guy who doesn't go for rumours, but instead knows what's what.

Interesting.

I don't know why SJ would want Halak...unless Nabokov is moving.

This is semi-serious. Some Dung could be going down to free space for Heatley.

They don't currently have a backup signed do they?

7Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Zoolander wrote:

True enough. This could be the smallest deal imaginable.

8Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

True enough. This could be the smallest deal imaginable.

SJ would be smart to pick this guy up. With the market for goaltenders being in the toilet they could pick up a potential future starter until Sexsmith is ready. Somewhat like the Leclaire trade, except that SJ shouldn't have to give up a Vermette type player. Halak has proven he's an NHLer. I'm surprised he hasn't tired of living in the shadow of the mighty Carey Price and asked for a trade, because he's every bit as good or better imo.

9Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:17 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:

Nope. Good point. They definitely need a backup.

Halak would make for a great fit in SJ, now that I look at it. The Sharks are clearly looking for a reliable guy who can spell Nabokov off if his game slips or if he needs rest. Given how many regular season games Nabokov has played in the last 2 years, the latter makes particular sense. Plus, with Halak, they'd be planning for the future and giving Nabby a serious challenge. Nabokov isn't getting any younger, either, and although SJ has some great goaltending prospects in Sateri, etc., none are NHL ready like Halak.

Actually, using the same logic, Harding might be a logical choice for SJ, too. The Dubie signing (a 1-way deal) is a pretty clear indicator that Harding is available and will be on the move before October.

I could definitely see something happening here.

10Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:21 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

Nope. Good point. They definitely need a backup.

Halak would make for a great fit in SJ, now that I look at it. The Sharks are clearly looking for a reliable guy who can spell Nabokov off if his game slips or if he needs rest. Given how many regular season games Nabokov has played in the last 2 years, the latter makes particular sense. Plus, with Halak, they'd be planning for the future and giving Nabby a serious challenge. Nabokov isn't getting any younger, either, and although SJ has some great goaltending prospects in Sateri, etc., none are NHL ready like Halak.

Actually, using the same logic, Harding might be a logical choice for SJ, too. The Dubie signing (a 1-way deal) is a pretty clear indicator that Harding is available and will be on the move before October.

Harding is another good option. It's a shame for MTL and MINN to have these great young talents and there is barely a market for them. Minnesota almost has to move Harding now that Dubie has signed. I wonder if they could have waited until after Harding was moved to get a backup cheap. It certainly looks like there won't be any shortages.

11Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SJ wants to make that deal ASAP before MTL realizes Halak is better than Price :n:

12Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Harding might not be the best choice, he wants to be a starter and it's pretty obvious that he won't be if he headed to SJ. Halak I could see being groomed to take over for when Nabokov is dealt or hits the open market, but if they acquired Harding, I think they'd have to move Nabokov ASAP. And although that thought is probably not too bad an idea for the Sharks, it's really hard to move goalies right now. Especially ones who have a penchant for sucking when it really counts.

13Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm

marakh wrote:SJ wants to make that deal ASAP before MTL realizes Halak is better than Price :n:

He's as good imo. He really bailed the Habs out on a couple of occasions with some strong play late in the year. Last year when Price Dung the bed, and once with Huet during the B.C.E. (Before Carey Era) Wink

He's a starter in this league in my mind. It's only a matter of time. If Wilson can scoop him (or even Harding as Dr. Poo suggests) up for next to nothing now, it would be a major coup.

It figures, now that we finally are looking solid in goal and the price for a great young netminder bottoms out. Frig.

14Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Remember when we suggested that Murray send an offer sheet to Halak for 1.5 million? I realize that's double of what he cost the Habs, but it was a strong move at the time.

Halak's a great goalie NOW, behind a good goalie.

15Halak to SJ? Empty Re: Halak to SJ? Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Harding might not be the best choice, he wants to be a starter and it's pretty obvious that he won't be if he headed to SJ. Halak I could see being groomed to take over for when Nabokov is dealt or hits the open market, but if they acquired Harding, I think they'd have to move Nabokov ASAP. And although that thought is probably not too bad an idea for the Sharks, it's really hard to move goalies right now. Especially ones who have a penchant for sucking when it really counts.

I don't know about that. Wherever Harding gets traded this summer, he's not going to walk into a situation as the clear-cut #1 goalie. Those spots are pretty much all taken up (hence, why Biron remains unsigned). Harding can demand to be a starter somewhere all he wants, but the fact is that he's going to have to compete for the job wherever he goes.

Harding to SJ makes just as much sense as Halak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum