GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

World's oldest man dies at 113

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty World's oldest man dies at 113 Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/07/18/10181341-ap.html

Allingham, who was the world’s oldest man when he died Saturday at
113, attributed his remarkable longevity to “cigarettes, whisky and
wild, wild women.”
Jokes aside, he was a modest man who served as Britain’s
conscience, reminding young people time and time again about the true
cost of war.

“I want everyone to know,” he told The Associated Press during an interview in November. “They died for us.”

2World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty Re: World's oldest man dies at 113 Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Impressive. He was a WWI vet. He's lived in three different centuries.

3World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty Re: World's oldest man dies at 113 Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What impressed me even more was that he continued talking to people -- kids, especially. I'm having a hard time explaining to my kids why I get all chocked up on November 11 when I hear taps. I remember my great-uncle's shrapnel scars and all his medals. My father in law was also in it (WWII, of course) but never saw action. Plus he hardly ever likes to talk about it.

4World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty Re: World's oldest man dies at 113 Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I love going to Legions and just talking to the members... so much to tell, so much to be thankful for.

5World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty Re: World's oldest man dies at 113 Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I love going to Legions and just talking to the members... so much to tell, so much to be thankful for.

Great idea. I have a feeling it would be hard to convince the kids to do it, but if I talk to the school and suggest it as an idea to a school trip. There's a brand new Legion Hall in Kanata (built only a year or so ago).

6World's oldest man dies at 113 Empty Re: World's oldest man dies at 113 Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:59 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Maybe when they're older, but certainly a good experience. I've found that they are just as thankful to be asked about it all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum